PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jake Bailey

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else feel like he’s having a bit of a down year?

Was a top 5 punter last year with 31 kicks inside the 20 and this year he’s barely league average in yards per punt and only 20. He already has more punts out of bounds than he did all last season. Didn’t punt well yesterday either. Nor the week before. And the 3 blocks. Something feels off - I don’t know if it’s on him or all the punt team.

Was a top 5 punter last year with 31 kicks inside the 20 and this year he’s barely league average in yards per punt and only 20. He already has more punts out of bounds than he did all last season. Didn’t punt well yesterday either. Nor the week before. And the 3 blocks. Something feels off - I don’t know if it’s on him or all the punt team.
Yes to both. No question.

Reactions: sb1
he's been injured this year... not sure about this past week, but has been on the injury report with a right knee issue for most of the season...

not an excuse, but maybe a reason?

he's been injured this year... not sure about this past week, but has been on the injury report with a right knee issue for most of the season...

not an excuse, but maybe a reason?

He's been so good in the past, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's quietly toughing it out and it is an excuse.

He's been so good in the past, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's quietly toughing it out and it is an excuse.
disagree with the excuse part... hes not out there saying oh my knee hurts... same with folk... both are banged up, both are doing the best they can with whats going on...

disagree with the excuse part... hes not out there saying oh my knee hurts... same with folk... both are banged up, both are doing the best they can with whats going on...

No, but it is a reason, which is all that we as fans can begin to grasp in terms of reality for something like this.

He seems very slow to get the punts off, which I don't recall in the past.

Good Punters have short memories. 5 good punts in a row can erase foul mistakes.

His average is 1 yard less than 2020. https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/punting/2021/regular-season

Bailey is ranked 10th and has given up the fewest returns and the fewest yards for punters in the top 1/3 of the league.

Like last year.

Arguably the best player on the team in 2020. No one would argue he’s top 10 on this year’s team.

The Pats also have had shorter distances to punt this year because the offense is better. Yards per punt can sometimes be misleading because of that.

You can’t really put the blocked punts on Bailey. That is bad coaching and bad execution by the special teams coaches and players as a whole.
Not so sure about coaching, dude plain whiffed.

No, but it is a reason, which is all that we as fans can begin to grasp in terms of reality for something like this.

He seems very slow to get the punts off, which I don't recall in the past.
I never noticed him being slow until the last several games where my father has been yelling at the tv re: how long it takes him to get a punt off.

His average is 1 yard less than 2020. https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/punting/2021/regular-season

Bailey is ranked 10th and has given up the fewest returns and the fewest yards for punters in the top 1/3 of the league.

Like last year.

I was looking at this chart. Bailey is not a top 10 punter this year.
1640010082053.png

His average is actually 1.5 yards less and his net average is 3 less than 2020. In 2019 he was statistically worse than that but it looked to me like he was much better at pinning the opponent deep in their end with good kicks. Punt blocks can also be on the punter getting it away too slow.

Just feels like something is off with him. An injury would explain it. Not saying he's Ken Walter but he really hasn't punted well this year.

Shouldn't we expect his average to go down this year?

The 2020 offense was, shall we say kindly, dysfunctional.

Its a lot easier to have a 60 yard punt when punting from own 20 than from the 50. For obvious reasons :D

Now lets look at the In20% for the punters ahead of him.

Cole 22/52 42.3%
Lee 11/45 24.4%
Fox 16/58 27.6%
Way 16/42 38.1%
Gillikin 23/69 33.3%
Anger 21/56 37.5%
****son 34/70 48.6%
Morstead 15/37 40.5%
Bojorguez 16/45 35.6%
Bailey 20/42 47.6%

Why are we hating on Jake Bailey?

Take away the 6/252 effort in the hurricane at Buffalo and he's at 48.0, tied for 6th in the league. I'm not worried. I -am- worried about the guys in front of him though :mad:.

Jake Bailey: Over-rated fraud.

#FireCamAss-ford
Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back