PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I've Developed a Combine Priapism for Martez Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

the wrothbroughterer

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
The dude's numbers were just disgusting.

6'3 5/8" and weighed in at 250.

Arms at 34 5/8".

4.49 in the 40.

If anyone follows the SackSEER philosophy (and I do) then he matches up pretty well in that system given his 36" vertical and 4.26 short shuttle (finished in the top 10 in the positional group for both).

The mix is there to be a terrorizing pass rusher and from what I saw he looked good in coverage after some quick video scouting. There are some flaws to his game, though. He seems to play too high and can get pushed around some along the LOS. Those could be correctable issues given some time and perhaps a slightly bigger body. Right now he looks like a Gary Guyton clone from day 1 but I think there is upside with this guy to be a real good player.

I've Developed a Combine Priapism for Martez Wilson

Leaches, leaches are the answer.

Last edited:
I don't like his skinny legs, not only does it make him top heavy but he's not likely to be able to generate good power. Football players, like buildings, are built from the ground up.

Still not nearly the pass rusher of some other top prospects. He doesn't have that elite rip move that Aldon Smith has, for example.

Fortunately, there is a cure for your condition. To reduce swelling, watch game film of Martez Wilson.

I think Martez Wilson would make a wonderfull Sub Pack MidFielder.

...Just like I think Marcell Dareus would make a wonderfull Sub Pack Rush Tackle.

If we could pick those guys up in, say, the 5th Round, that'd be cool. :D

I don't like his skinny legs, not only does it make him top heavy but he's not likely to be able to generate good power. Football players, like buildings, are built from the ground up.

willie mcginest had skinny legs....so what?

He's a gamer and I don't doubt his heart or ability. But not at OLB. He will be a good ILB for another team as we are currently filled at this position.

Herniated discs kind of scare me though. Especially in the game of football.

Martez Wilson will have surgery, out for season. - Hail to the Orange

wilson is projecting to the outside because bites way too much on play-action and misdirection, and dies not have the recognition instincts to cover in a zone. but he's pretty good at getting after the QB and has even put his hand on the ground some

willie mcginest had skinny legs....so what?

Skinny legs and a developed upper body means the person is top heavy, not very good in a game where remaining upright is paramount. It's also likely that the person isn't going to have much power in their lower body, though it is possible.

Ultimately the proof is in the pudding, if the guy can play then he can play, I wouldnt write someone off because their legs are too thin any more than I would write someone off because arms are an inch shorter than some model says they should be, that would be downright stupid. I would just want to look at him very closely and work him out extensively to mitigate my risk.

The big question is whether he's just a pass rusher or does he have the goods to be a complete OLB that BB wants?

Skinny legs and a developed upper body means the person is top heavy, not very good in a game where remaining upright is paramount. It's also likely that the person isn't going to have much power in their lower body, though it is possible.

Ultimately the proof is in the pudding, if the guy can play then he can play, I wouldnt write someone off because their legs are too thin any more than I would write someone off because arms are an inch shorter than some model says they should be, that would be downright stupid. I would just want to look at him very closely and work him out extensively to mitigate my risk.

The big question is whether he's just a pass rusher or does he have the goods to be a complete OLB that BB wants?

yes.....raise the red flag because of skinny legs

Dude was an MLB in college. Now, some media members are saying he's a 34 OLB because of his measurables? That doesn't make any sense to me. There's no evidence that he rush the passer, or set edge. I've also read that he's mostly gotten by on his physical skills in college and only started studying film this year - not a good sign. This is an example of how the combine can lead to bad conclusions.

Martez Wilson, Illinois, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

The 10'04" broad jump, 36' vertical and the 1.56 10 yard split tell me that he's got a lot of explosion in his legs.. By Comparison, Crable only did a 9'03 in the broad jump and 28 in the vertical.

Wilson is being compared to Dansby, though. Someone who would be an excellent 4-3 OLB or 3-4 ILB.

It would be interesting to know how he did in the OLB drills. Particularly dropping into coverage.

The 10'04" broad jump, 36' vertical and the 1.56 10 yard split tell me that he's got a lot of explosion in his legs.. By Comparison, Crable only did a 9'03 in the broad jump and 28 in the vertical.

Wilson is being compared to Dansby, though. Someone who would be an excellent 4-3 OLB or 3-4 ILB.

It would be interesting to know how he did in the OLB drills. Particularly dropping into coverage.

Those measurables are a good start, I'd like to know how he did with the 3 cone and the shuttle. I wish the NFL had available links to each player doing the drills and the times with them.

Wilson is a player I expect BB not to draft. He got by on his size and speed in college but his instincts suck. He also an injury risk and a character risk. He had a herniated disk in neck in 09 which caused him to miss the whole season. He also was suspended vs Northwestern in 08 and he was stabbed in a fight as well in college. His run instincts are above average but his pass instincts are terrible and he doesnt always stay in his zone drop and freelances which BB hates! I think hes a great athlete but he doesnt play up to his talent. He played ILB in college as well so he doesnt have experience setting the edge and he only has two college years of game experience. Hes been an underachiever in college and I doubt that will change in the pros.

Wilson was a guy I had listed as a player who would blowup at the combine. I am not surprised by this but its not changing my opinion of him as a player.

His youtube tape vs Michigan in 2010 was horrible.

Fortunately, there is a cure for your condition. To reduce swelling, watch game film of Martez Wilson.

Took your advice and I've softened up a bit, but there was still some positives.

YouTube - Martez Wilson vs Ohio State

He drops an absolutely filthy swim move on an OT in this game. It's around the 1:10 mark.

I will agree that he doesn't seem to have great football intelligence and takes bad angles in traffic.

I don't buy the skinny legs issue whatsoever. The vertical, broad jump, and 40 time are all indicative of tremendous leg strength and wiry does not at all mean weak. In this case I think the results speak louder than the eye test and any game tape that shows otherwise could probably be chalked up to weak positioning and poor technique. Both of which are correctable issues.

The dude's numbers were just disgusting.

6'3 5/8" and weighed in at 250.

Arms at 34 5/8".

4.49 in the 40.

If anyone follows the SackSEER philosophy (and I do) then he matches up pretty well in that system given his 36" vertical and 4.26 short shuttle (finished in the top 10 in the positional group for both).

The mix is there to be a terrorizing pass rusher and from what I saw he looked good in coverage after some quick video scouting. There are some flaws to his game, though. He seems to play too high and can get pushed around some along the LOS. Those could be correctable issues given some time and perhaps a slightly bigger body. Right now he looks like a Gary Guyton clone from day 1 but I think there is upside with this guy to be a real good player.

Just a friendly suggestion. Seek medical attention. Priapism can occur in persons with sickle cell anemia.:eek:

Why are looking at the best ILB in the draft? Obviously he is worth lots more to other teams who have a need for an inside linebacker, especially given how few are available this eyar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes