PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ivan Fears expected to retire

As they say "all good things come to an end". I am sure he will get the recognition he deserves. Seems to be held in very good regard by players and coaches alike.
Ivan certainly finished strong with all 3 dimensions (rush, block, catch) of the RB corps hitting on all cylinders even without James White.

I will definitely miss Fears more than Josh. I believe the team needs that hard Dad on the sidelines that'll have a quiet conversation when needed.
Scarnecchia and Fears have made the lives of many coaches just a bit easier. BB has lost some guys that I think are more than just underlings to him. Does anyone on the team seem like an "old soul" that he can have a scotch with in the off-season to reminsce or brainstorm with? I think it might be limited to his annual fishing trip with Jimmy Johnson...and they never worked together.
Growing old gracefully doesn't seem like a possibility in the NFL, but Fears definitely has.

Today over at The Athletic...there was a column by Mike Sando where he lists all the coaches/knowledge the Patriots have lost since 2018....the list was extensive and did not include Ivan Fears....

Ernie Adams, Brian Flores, Chad O'Shea, Joe Judge, Josh McDaniels, Dante Scarnecchia, etc...etc...

As expected. Thank you for your many years of service, coach.

Ivan Fears goes back a LOOOOONG way with this club - he goes back to **** MacPherson

If Mayo stays, which seems likely, there will be talk about elevating him to DC. Only problem with that is he will still get attention for HC vacancies and may be gone in a year or two. There are really no other viable internal candidates (unless BB puts Patricia back in that spot). Maybe Josh Boyer?

If Mayo stays, which seems likely, there will be talk about elevating him to DC. Only problem with that is he will still get attention for HC vacancies and may be gone in a year or two. There are really no other viable internal candidates (unless BB puts Patricia back in that spot). Maybe Josh Boyer?
Hes getting attention now and there will always be vacancies.

Kinda crazy huh? Kevin Faulk, Troy Brown and Jerod Mayo all on the coaching staff in fairly prominent roles
Makes a ton of sense. Wish we had more guys from those early years. They knew what it was like before the culture was installed, and know what it took to keep it going. They have the rings to back up the talk. We need to get Bruschi and Harrison off them damn TV shows and get them on that staff!!

This was anticipated by an excellent article by Patsfans' own Chris Price:

Am I the only one who called him Ivan Fearsome? He and Dante Scarnecchia were known as the hardest-driving and toughest-to-satisfy of the Patriots' coaches, but clearly, as Dante himself once said, "all done with love".

I often felt that the Pats' running game was too much "battering ram" and too predictable, and it was better when the creative runners (Blount, Woodhead, Lewis -- yes, even Laurence Maroney) were left to be themselves a bit more. But no one could dispute the toughness and uncompromising standards Ivan Fearsome instilled in his players. If only there were more of that in the defense!

Thank you, Mr Fears. May you have a long and happy retirement.

Makes a ton of sense. Wish we had more guys from those early years. They knew what it was like before the culture was installed, and know what it took to keep it going. They have the rings to back up the talk. We need to get Bruschi and Harrison off them damn TV shows and get them on that staff!!
Definitely, Bruschi in particular screams coaching potential but I'm sure the TV money is pretty good.

Hmm. Maybe our players can coach themselves:eek:. Worst case scenario is the Bills don't punt.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back