PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It can't be about Tom. It can't be about Bill. It can't be about Legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriotSeven

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
In my opinion, motivating factor and drive are an important, very important, factor in winning a Superbowl. Narrative matters. Motivation is a key ingredient.

I fully believe that those reasons are simply NOT good enough reasons to get 53 men to put their hearts and soul on the line. You really can't even get a fanbase and country behind you.

Imo, those are selfish reasons and are simply not powerful enough. Just as "getting Peyton his legacy ring" was a selfish reason compared to Seattle's hunger for their FIRST EVER Superbowl, we have the same problem. Heck players got tired of doing it for Tebow, out of all people, who was a major underdog....who "couldn't throw".

In 2007, we did it because our entire reputation was on the line due to the Spygate scandal. Everything they had accomplished prior to that was on the line.

In 2011 it was about Myra Kraft and our owner.

When you have already accomplished as much as Bill and Tom and this team has done, then I don't think it's crazy to think about that and ignore that it might become harder to find that fire. Now they say that winning, should and is a motivator in of itself, and needs to remain so. But I do feel that sometimes, you just need a little more.

And whatever that reason is, reputation, your first, proving doubters wrong, being left for dead early in the seasons as the Giants have before, saving your coach's job, your fanbase, or even your rookies who don't have a ring yet...I do believe the Pats need to find a reason to rally behind.

And I strongly feel it certainly can't be any of the reasons listed in the title.

Thoughts?

Lets be honest, winning a SB is difficult. Since 2001, we have played in 5 SBs and 8 AFC championship games. That is incredible. A play here or there and we can be looking at 5 SBs. We are the best franchise in the 2000s.

I don't think we have to worry about Brady and Belichick's desire to win. And besides, most of the guys on this team haven't won a SB either.

I don't think we have to worry about Brady and Belichick's desire to win. And besides, most of the guys on this team haven't won a SB either.

No we don't. But we do need the other 50+ guys to get behind them. And those 2 can't be that reason. They can't feel like they're just coming to the Patriots to help Tom and Bill solidify their legacy.

It needs to be about them. Or the fans. Or something bigger. They need to be just as important to our team as Bill and Tom and feel it. And it needs to be true.

And we certainly can't feel like they're just joining us to come along for the ride and not just temporary plugs for holes. We need them to be Pats through and through. We need to think of them as our future. To carry that torch.

I do think emotion plays a big factor as you get deeper in the playoffs. Especially on defense.

That's where BB's defenses fall down. He is not an emotional leader. Someone else needs to bring that emotional element which gives players the edge and extra energy. Right now nobody is doing it.

You forgot to add Ray Lewis.Honestly there is no magic formula it's all up to whatever is working at the time.

I have a really hard time believing that the difference between 2011 and 2012 was Myra Kraft.

Looking at that gif above sure is going to make me miss wilfork.

In my opinion, motivating factor and drive are an important, very important, factor in winning a Superbowl. Narrative matters. Motivation is a key ingredient.

I fully believe that those reasons are simply NOT good enough reasons to get 53 men to put their hearts and soul on the line. You really can't even get a fanbase and country behind you.

Imo, those are selfish reasons and are simply not powerful enough. Just as "getting Peyton his legacy ring" was a selfish reason compared to Seattle's hunger for their FIRST EVER Superbowl, we have the same problem. Heck players got tired of doing it for Tebow, out of all people, who was a major underdog....who "couldn't throw".

In 2007, we did it because our entire reputation was on the line due to the Spygate scandal. Everything they had accomplished prior to that was on the line.

In 2011 it was about Myra Kraft and our owner.

When you have already accomplished as much as Bill and Tom and this team has done, then I don't think it's crazy to think about that and ignore that it might become harder to find that fire. Now they say that winning, should and is a motivator in of itself, and needs to remain so. But I do feel that sometimes, you just need a little more.

And whatever that reason is, reputation, your first, proving doubters wrong, being left for dead early in the seasons as the Giants have before, saving your coach's job, your fanbase, or even your rookies who don't have a ring yet...I do believe the Pats need to find a reason to rally behind.

And I strongly feel it certainly can't be any of the reasons listed in the title.

Thoughts?

If the players on your team need an external motivation to want to win, you need new players.
The fact that the media talks about Manning's second ring is absolutely, totally irrelevant to what motivated the Bronco players.
They are playing for themselves individually and the team as a whole, not for what it means to one player.
Your thinking here is pretty much fan thought, not football players.

If the players on your team need an external motivation to want to win, you need new players.
The fact that the media talks about Manning's second ring is absolutely, totally irrelevant to what motivated the Bronco players.
They are playing for themselves individually and the team as a whole, not for what it means to one player.
Your thinking here is pretty much fan thought, not football players.

Has nothing to do with the media or what the fans think. Has to do with what the players think.

Sorry but I disagree. Players are human beings. They are passionate. They like to be motivated. It's real. It's not just talk or fan talk. Richard Sherman was passionate. He has something to prove. That defense had something to prove. They wanted to be noticed. They wanted to be heard. To be on the map. And no things like the media talking about Peyton....that's exactly what I think doesn't motivate Broncos players. It probably did work to motivate Seattle players though.

Everyone wants to win. But some teams, some groups are tighter than others. They are more motivated than others. And yes, sometimes you need a bigger motivating factor than just the will to win. I don't think there's a group in this league that doesn't want to win. They all want to win. Some wanted more than others though. And those that want it that bad, usually have some extra motivation.

Even Tom, and our guys this year fed off that, as he repeatedly stated this year, "nobody gave us a chance."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents