PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It all makes sense if they land Haynesworth today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to believe there is some sort of trade coming tonight. While I can't call McCourty a bad pick, far from it, it must mean BB has a plan in place and we will see it in action shortly. I can't say I am high on trading for Haynesworth but what do I know? I will be shocked if we pick in our current slots in the second round. But maybe we should...........

Patriots should do it for a 3rd rounder if they switch to a 4-3 defense full time. That's great value.

Of course here's a warning...I live near Washington DC so pretty much catch alot of Redskins games and it seems to me that Hayneworth is lying on the field every other plays (seriously) gasing for air...hehehe...a little of an overweight issue I guess...

???? The point is not that Mike Wright will be uncomfortable, the point is that Belichick will be uncomfortable with two guys playing out of position. When I think 4-3 ends, I think Peppers, Allen, Kearse - tall, thin, athletic players - not Warren and Wright.

Everson Griffen would be perfect!

You should look up the definition of the word irrelevant. I'll leave it at that.

Hmmm......

If not, you should work on reading comprehension as well as vocabulary.
Sorry, but it's just plain stupid to dismiss a player because he's never played in a particular system. Pointing out that he doesn't play Seymour's position is blatantly irrelevant--Seymour didn't play 3-4 DE in college, either. What matters is the skillset, and Haynesworth is at the least a very effective one-gap 3-4 defensive end (i.e. a penetrator) and definitely has the bulk to be worth a try in a 2-gap system. He could also be used as a 4-3 defensive tackle in a four man line, especially on passing downs.

He's a locker room problem, and I don't give a damn how much money he's making.
Oh, okay. It must be true if you say so.

Are you saying that the Titans actually kept Haynesworth and the Ommissioner stepped in and just placed him in Washington on his own?
I don't think any team was willing to offer Albert--or any other defensive player in the league--$100 million, except the Redskins. The Titans did offer him a contract, which if I remember correctly was in the ball park of 40 million, or about what Wilfork received. They wanted to keep him--they just didn't want to pay the kind of money that Snyder was willing to dish out.

The fact that the Titans are trying, or have tried, to trade for him just a year later clearly proves that they see him as valuable player. And the fact that you're willfully ignoring that proves that you're the one who needs help with reading comprehension.

I think it would be foolish to not even consider Haynesworth if he's available for a mid-round pick. He is almost certainly a superior player to any DL available in those rounds.

Last edited:
Sorry, but it's just plain stupid to dismiss a player because he's never played in a particular system. Pointing out that he doesn't play Seymour's position is blatantly irrelevant--Seymour didn't play 3-4 DE in college, either. What matters is the skillset, and Haynesworth is at the least a very effective one-gap 3-4 defensive end (i.e. a penetrator) and definitely has the bulk to be worth a try in a 2-gap system. He could also be used as a 4-3 defensive tackle in a four man line, especially on passing downs.

I don't dismiss Haynesworth based upon one factor. As for whether you feel it's stupid or not, the Patriots don't agree with you, as they've noted fit as an issue, time and time again.

Oh, okay. It must be true if you say so.

Yes, it's just my say so. Last season in Washington never happened, for example.

I don't think any team was willing to offer Albert--or any other defensive player in the league--$100 million, except the Redskins. The Titans did offer him a contract, which if I remember correctly was in the ball park of 40 million, or about what Wilfork received. They wanted to keep him--they just didn't want to pay the kind of money that Snyder was willing to dish out.

Yes, it's true. The Titans didn't want him enough to bring him back at the same level as the Redskins. How does that run counter to my point?

The fact that the Titans are trying, or have tried, to trade for him just a year later clearly proves that they see him as valuable player. And the fact that you're willfully ignoring that proves that you're the one who needs help with reading comprehension.

Not really. While I'm sure the Titans feel he's a good player, what being willing to trade for him proves is that the team has a need they feel the player can fill. As I've not denigrated his talent, I'll simply refer you to the same reading comprehension posts I noted earlier.

I think it would be foolish to not even consider Haynesworth if he's available for a mid-round pick. He is almost certainly a superior player to any DL available in those rounds.

Given the locker room problems the Patriots had last season, I disagree.

Such is life.

Last edited:
Yes, it's just my say so. Last season in Washington never happened, for example.
I'm in the Washington area, and having watched the guy play a number of games, I'm not convinced he is nearly the problem people have made him out to be. He had a few injuries and missed some time, and that was the main criticism people had of him around here. Sorry, but that's football. Guys get hurt and miss games sometimes.

Yes, it's true. The Titans didn't want him enough to bring him back at the same level as the Redskins. How does that run counter to my point?
Because your point was that they didn't want him at all. As I said, no one in the league was going to offer Haynesworth $100 million, even if he was the second coming of the Refrigerator. That Snyder was willing to do so says much more about the stupidity of the Redskins organization than it does about the Titans' desire to keep him. They may not have even had the financial ability or cap space to match such a deal.

Not really. While I'm sure the Titans feel he's a good player, what being willing to trade for him proves is that the team has a need they feel the player can fill.
Yeah, I guess it's just a coincidence that he happened to be a starter for them and member of their locker room for several seasons.

Given the locker room problems the Patriots had last season, I disagree.
As I said earlier, I think his locker room issues are overblown. While he complained about his role on occasion last year, Haynesworth ultimately did what the coaches asked of him and did so at a very high level. If his ability to get along with others is a question, then I probably would stay away--but I've never heard that specifically mentioned about him. Coachability isn't going to be an issue when everything is said and done; the guy wants to succeed at what he's good at, and that's making plays in the backfield.

shanahan just said on NFLN that he will not trade Albert Haynesworth...during this draft. this means he will get traded. :D

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this the guy who stomped on Andre Gurode's unprotected head.... with cleats?

Cheap shot that I just can't forget.

Besides.... Shanny just stated in no uncertain terms that Haynesworth will not be traded.

Could be a ruse, but he seemed insistant.

I'm in the Washington area, and having watched the guy play a number of games, I'm not convinced he is nearly the problem people have made him out to be. He had a few injuries and missed some time, and that was the main criticism people had of him around here. Sorry, but that's football. Guys get hurt and miss games sometimes.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, as am I.

Because your point was that they didn't want him at all. As I said, no one in the league was going to offer Haynesworth $100 million, even if he was the second coming of the Refrigerator. That Snyder was willing to do so says much more about the stupidity of the Redskins organization than it does about the Titans' desire to keep him. They may not have even had the financial ability or cap space to match such a deal.

No, that wasn't my point. Most teams would be more than willing to bring back any elite player to their team if said player was willing to play for the minimum. If Asante had been willing to play in New England for $2 million a year, do you really think he'd be in Philly right now?

Yeah, I guess it's just a coincidence that he happened to be a starter for them and member of their locker room for several seasons.

That's irrelevant to what I was noting. Come on, don't go down that road. I just had to deal with a mod pulling that sort of crap.

As I said earlier, I think his locker room issues are overblown. While he complained about his role on occasion last year, Haynesworth ultimately did what the coaches asked of him and did so at a very high level. If his ability to get along with others is a question, then I probably would stay away--but I've never heard that specifically mentioned about him. Coachability isn't going to be an issue when everything is said and done; the guy wants to succeed at what he's good at, and that's making plays in the backfield.

I have heard it mentioned specifically about him. From more than one source. We disagree. Let's leave it at that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back