PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is week 17 going to be boring?

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Some years week 17 has a ton of playoff storylines and do or die games. Not the case this year.

NFC - Eagles/Viking virtually locked in as byes (unless the eagles lose tonight AND next week they have the first seed locked up). The Vikings need to lose to the lowly bears and have New Orleans lose (to the bucs) and the Panthers beat the Falcons. All of it happening is super unlikely

Rams locked in as the 3rd or 4th seed.

New Orleans locked in as the 3 or 4th seed unless they lose to a bad Bucs team and Carolina wins.

Panthers can't improve from 5th unless they win and New Orleans loses. But they could go as high as the 2nd seed. Both the Vikings and Saints would need to lose though.

All of this is just bouncing around. Not one of these 5 teams is in danger of exiting the playoffs.

Of the teams who are trying to get it there are the Seahawks/Falcons. Falcons need to lose and Seahawks need to win. Seahawks have the Cards who can be tough. Falcons have the Panthers whose motivation depends on a lot of other games.

A lot of it really comes down to one game in the NFC. The Falcons/Panthers game. The rest of them should be mostly gimmies.

In the AFC 5 teams are locked in place.

Pats have locked a bye and the Steelers would need to lose both games to lose theirs. Unlikely.

Pats need to beat the Jets to keep the 1 seed. Should happen but 2 seed isn't horrible either. I doubt they lose that game.

Jags are no worse than 3rd but probably can't change it no matter what next week.

KC is locked in as 4th seed. They probably sit next week.

The AFC has more potential fun implications going on with SD, Bills, Raven and Titans.

The Chargers are pretty much out to be honest. They need to win and the Titans/Bills to lose their must win games. Unlikely.

Titans/Ravens are the teams that fully control their destiny. You need to wonder how hard the Jags will play the if the Steelers win tonight.

The Bills have a slim shot but possible. They need to win and need either the Titans or Ravens to lose (or both if SD wins).

Honestly though there are no AFC WC teams to get overly excited about this year. I know we have preferences but I'm not worried. It kind of takes a bit of drama out of it.

Personally I see only 1 good game next weeks (Panthers/Falcons). It is win or go home for the Falcons but if it is flexed to Sunday night you need to wonder by the time if the Panthers will feel they have any reason to play their starters.

Last edited:
Haven't been less excited for a week 17 in a long time between the lack of SNF and the overall lack of good games.

I don’t see this as any different from many previous years. Some teams jockeying for position and others just trying to get an invite.

In a year with massive injuries & a lot of bad football teams, I think most NFL fans are ready for the playoffs. I agree with your sentiments regarding week 17.

This week has great college football though. Sam Darnold’s likely final game vs. Ohio State on Friday night, Lamar Jackson Saturday & the playoff Monday. Jackson & Mayfield could be on the Pats radar.

<deleted>

Last edited:
The Bills have a slime shot but possible.

This guy?

slime_shot_by_mosterman500-db8v0fc.jpg

In a year with massive injuries & a lot of bad football teams, I think most NFL fans are ready for the playoffs. I agree with your sentiments regarding week 17.

This week has great college football though. Sam Darnold’s likely final game vs. Ohio State on Friday night, Lamar Jackson Saturday & the playoff Monday. Jackson & Mayfield could be on the Pats radar.
Vita Vea vs Saquon Barkley next Sat could be fun. UW vs PSU

Yea I would take Baker Mayfield in the 1st just for the the 5th year option, seems to have the same drive and fire as Tom

I can't take Baltimore making the playoffs and the endless "they're not afraid to come into Gillette" crap... I really hope they don't make it... Simply cuz sports radio is an addiction and I can't take a week of MIKE BALTIMORE IS NOT AFRAID OF THE PATRIOTS MIKE THEYRE NOT THEY KICKED YOUR ASS IN 2009 MIKE AND WERE A MISSED FG AWAY FROM BEATING YOU AGAIN MIKE... now mind u somehow that field goal in 2011 that would've TIED the game has become a game winner in hotsportztake land...

Have we ended a season with a record of 13-3 before?

I can't take Baltimore making the playoffs and the endless "they're not afraid to come into Gillette" crap... I really hope they don't make it... Simply cuz sports radio is an addiction and I can't take a week of MIKE BALTIMORE IS NOT AFRAID OF THE PATRIOTS MIKE THEYRE NOT THEY KICKED YOUR ASS IN 2009 MIKE AND WERE A MISSED FG AWAY FROM BEATING YOU AGAIN MIKE... now mind u somehow that field goal in 2011 that would've TIED the game has become a game winner in hotsportztake land...
Then when we win

“Mike, are we really supposed to be impressed they beat Joe Lack-o? The Steelers, Mike! The Steelers!”

Dude I gave 99% of sports radio, shows etc & couldn't be happier.

They add 0 & have no idea what their talking about.

Sports would be better without em.

I couldn't imagine turning on Skip, SAS, Felger etc for any reason ever again.

if the Pats are playing....nope, not boring

Have we ended a season with a record of 13-3 before?

The only records Pats have never had are 0-16 and 15-1

First 12-4 season 2006
First 13-3 season 2011
First 14-2 season 2003

10 4pm games with a bunch of seeding/few spots up for grabs, sounds pretty good to me.

Yea I would take Baker Mayfield in the 1st just for the the 5th year option, seems to have the same drive and fire as Tom
Gimme a break. Brady was never a petulant ******* in college.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back