PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this mentality exclusive to the Boston area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbanza

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Love the player when they wear the hometown uniform, rip them apart when they leave.....it's the Boston way!

Nomar sucks
Pedro has lost it
Damon throws like a girl, is breaking down, and is a money grubbing punk
Clemens was a traitor
Milloy is an angry, bitter man with dimishing skills
Bledsoe is a statue who will find a way to lose a game for you
Adam is an over-rated scumbag
etc....

To my recollection, there are only two players I can think of that have escaped the "woman scorned" sydrome Boston fans put on full display whenever they feel - well - scorned:

Ray Borque
Willie McGinest (although he is labled "too old.")

To my recollection, there are only two players I can think of that have escaped the "woman scorned" sydrome Boston fans put on full display whenever they feel - well - scorned:

Ray Borque

Orlando Cabrera
-Big time fan fave, Theo still regretting ER, big time standing O when he came back
Mark Bellhorn
-People were happy he was gone, bad example I know but got a big ovation when he came back as a Yankee, rightfully so
Drew Bledsoe
-Can't say enough about him, I think everyone was happy for him when he had a big first year in BUF

Last edited:
Garbanza said:
Love the player when they wear the hometown uniform, rip them apart when they leave.....it's the Boston way!

Nomar sucks
Pedro has lost it
Clemens was a traitor
etc....

Ray Borque
I'm not from Boston or anywhere near, and I don't know who Nomar and Pedro are, I assume they're baseball types. All I can say is I've always rooted for the uniform, everybody else is the bad guys. Do I HATE the guys that leave? Not all of them, but I do look for excuses to do so. :) And that usually depends greatly on how they leave, and what they say afterwards.

mikegibbons said:
Orlando Cabrera
-Big time fan fave, Theo still regretting ER
Mark Bellhorn
-People were happy he was gone, bad example I know
Drew Bledsoe
-Can't say enough about him

I don't count players like Cabrera and Belhorn. They weren't part of the Red Sox organization for a long enough period of time - enough time for the fans to "fall madly deeply in love." So much so, they act like Glenn Close in "Fatal Attraction" when they leave.

Garbanza said:

Nomar sucks
Pedro has lost it
Clemens was a traitor
etc....

Ray Borque

I really can't address any of the Desperate Housewives on your list because they're all the same to me (i.e., childishly drama-prone girly men). But as far as the Pats players, there's a grain of truth in each case. I wouldn't go so far as to call AV a "scumbag," but his importance was a tad overrated going forward. We just had a strong emotional attachment to him because of his integral role in our Super Bowl seasons.

Its part of being THE sports town. We invest emotionally in some players and so then feel "scorned" when they put on another teams uniform. I agree with T a lot has to do with how they leave and what they say afterwards.

I think every fan base does this. It's human nature.

Garbanza said:

Nomar sucks
Pedro has lost it
Clemens was a traitor
etc....

Ray Borque

No, NY is just as bad. Remember when NYY fans booed Wells on opening day? I think Boston fans are ok with guys leaving if they do it with class like Bourque did. When they shoot their mouths off like Vinatraitor, Clemens, or Milloy did, they they are a-holes forever. I'll be booing Adam, I can promise you that.

Garbanza said:

Nomar sucks
Pedro has lost it
Clemens was a traitor
etc....

Ray Borque

No, the rest of the planet does exactly the same thing. It's part of the investment of being a sports fan and then feeling betrayed. I could list examples but they're pretty irrelevant unless you follow soccer.

DocAdkinsDiet said:
I think every fan base does this. It's human nature.
Exactly. And who ******* cares, anyway? Are we looking for some 'good guy' Internet merit badge?

Garbanza said:

Nomar sucks
Pedro has lost it
Clemens was a traitor
etc....

Ray Borque

You left out possibly the biggest defector (even though he's not a player) of them all.................The Tuna, Bill Parcells.

And yes, I hate his stinkin' guts for the way he left the Patriots organization.

wait! add another to the list of un-bashed players who left our beloved teams:

Tom "I wasn't really that important anyway" Ashworth.

All the baseball guys can leave as far as I'm concerned.

And, it doesn't apply to everyone who leave the Patriots. Just the ones who can't be honest about why they left and/or can't STFU when they leave.

There have been some who have taken the $ and left quietly. Those guys don't get bashed.

Garbanza said:
wait! add another to the list of un-bashed players who left our beloved teams:

Tom "I wasn't really that important anyway" Ashworth.
What was the question you asked about bashing players when they leave?

Very Good, 67! LOL!

Coast2CoastPatsFan said:
You left out possibly the biggest defector (even though he's not a player) of them all.................The Tuna, Bill Parcells.

And yes, I hate his stinkin' guts for the way he left the Patriots organization.
Look at it this way: he got out of the way, making room for Belichick to come in. I believe he also helped get the Patriots to a level (Bob Kraft also of course) where they could attract top people. Finally, he might have had something to do with Bill B's development as a coach? I'm liking the Tuna more every second here. :rolleyes:

Garbanza said:

Nomar sucks
Pedro has lost it
Clemens was a traitor
etc....

Ray Borque

Obviously your the same, judging every Boston native for a couple. I guess it's just not here it's everywhere. Point proof for you.

As Fans you look past their Flaws...

As Enemies you magnify them...

IMO, it's a clear case of being two-faced. It happens everywhere.

My favorite is Steve Grogan. New Englanders have conveniently repressed all of the scorn and ill-will they poured on this guy in the early 80's (far worse than anything Bledsoe received). Funny how that works, he's a revered Patriot now.

How easily we forget that players like Russ Francis, Babe Parilli, Stanley Morgan, and Mosi Tatupu all played for other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back