PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this mentality exclusive to the Boston area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murphys95 said:
IMO, it's a clear case of being two-faced. It happens everywhere.

My favorite is Steve Grogan. New Englanders have conveniently repressed all of the scorn and ill-will they poured on this guy in the early 80's (far worse than anything Bledsoe received). Funny how that works, he's a revered Patriot now.

How easily we forget that players like Russ Francis, Babe Parilli, Stanley Morgan, and Mosi Tatupu all played for other teams.
I'd like to add Ray Clayborn to the list of guys we still liked when they left, but that was back in the day when these team changes weren't dissected to death like they are now...oh, and the Pats SUCKED.
In baseball, Fisk and Lynn were welcomed home after leaving, but back in the day, again.

wistahpatsfan said:
that was back in the day when these team changes weren't dissected to death like they are now...oh, and the Pats SUCKED.

Excellent points!

25 years ago we were watching something else...and so was the bandwagon.

Out of curiosity......

T-ShirtDynasty said:
I'm not from Boston or anywhere near, and I don't know who Nomar and Pedro are, I assume they're baseball types. All I can say is I've always rooted for the uniform, everybody else is the bad guys. Do I HATE the guys that leave? Not all of them, but I do look for excuses to do so. :) And that usually depends greatly on how they leave, and what they say afterwards.

How did you become a Pats fan if not from Beantown? Do you come from New England area at all?

Garbanza said:
Bledsoe is a statue who will find a way to lose a game for you

To be fair, many said that while he was still in a Patriot uniform.

wistahpatsfan said:
I'd like to add Ray Clayborn to the list of guys we still liked when they left

Not so long ago I rewatched the 85 AFCC game, and the man was unreal!

If ever there was an underated corner, it was him!

stcjones said:
How did you become a Pats fan if not from Beantown? Do you come from New England area at all?

Good lord man. NE is ME, NH, VT, MA,CT, RI. I'm not from beantown either.

Garbanza said:
Love the player when they wear the hometown uniform, rip them apart when they leave.....it's the Boston way!

Nomar sucks
Pedro has lost it
Damon throws like a girl, is breaking down, and is a money grubbing punk
Clemens was a traitor
Milloy is an angry, bitter man with dimishing skills
Adam is an over-rated scumbag
etc....

To my recollection, there are only two players I can think of that have escaped the "woman scorned" sydrome Boston fans put on full display whenever they feel - well - scorned:

Ray Borque
Willie McGinest (although he is labled "too old.")

I hear alot of that...and you may have a point. Most of it is driven by WEEI and the media. The only one of that group I disparged was Nomar. I feel he is pond scum because he brought it into the clubhouse and drove a wedge in there...that shows lack of respect for teamates...the worst team sin of all.

BTW...Damon has some serious shoulder issues...time will tell.

Garbanza said:
Love the player when they wear the hometown uniform, rip them apart when they leave.....it's the Boston way!

Nomar sucks
Pedro has lost it
Damon throws like a girl, is breaking down, and is a money grubbing punk
Clemens was a traitor
Milloy is an angry, bitter man with dimishing skills
Adam is an over-rated scumbag
etc....

To my recollection, there are only two players I can think of that have escaped the "woman scorned" sydrome Boston fans put on full display whenever they feel - well - scorned:

Ray Borque
Willie McGinest (although he is labled "too old.")

You are overlooking the original "wrongs" in these situations......it is always the kid that retaliates that gets caught!

Nomar refused to pinch hit in an important game against the Yankees in 2004, a game where his counterpart literally threw himself into the stands to catch a foul ball. Also he refused to play 3rd when the Rodriguez rumors were floating around.....turns out, he would not have had to, AR played 3rd for NY.

Pedro shunned us by signing with the Mets for more $$ and bashing the Sox as he went. NOTE: there is little difference if the player is bashing the organization or the fans......to us it is the same thing.

Damon.....see Pedro

Clemens....see Pedro, plus the fact that he urged other members of the sox, most importantly Mo Vaughn to leave the team as well. Plus saying he wanted to go into the HOF as a Yankee when most of his best accomplishments, minus the WS rings, happened with the sox.

Bledsoe was fine with all of us until the story came out about him calling BB a liar and telling Bill that the Patriots should start him in SB 36 because a rookie qb could never win the SB.

Milloy and Law put themselves ahead of the team and forced BB's hand.

Adam as much said that he did not want to play for the organization, translation he did not want to play for US.

Not to go all Dr. Phil here but, all of this anger is directed at the lack of loyalty and the fact that our SB heroes are leaving or being shown the door.

Last edited:
as far as it being a New England or Boston phenomena, you should have heard what my ex said about me when I left Okla.:D

Also keep in mind what Cleveland and Jet fans are saying about BB. Bill has been gone from Cleveland since 1995 and NY since 2000!

I have not looked, but I cannot imagine there is a lot of good things being said about Daunte in Minnesota.....

This is not a Boston thing!

stcjones said:

Some people have genuine reasons for supporting the Pats as non-New Englanders. Speaking for myself, there aren't that many NFL teams in the UK, last time I looked. Besides, they are the closest team to my hometown of Manchester, England. :D

Tunescribe said:
I really can't address any of the Desperate Housewives on your list because they're all the same to me (i.e., childishly drama-prone girly men). But as far as the Pats players, there's a grain of truth in each case. I wouldn't go so far as to call AV a "scumbag," but his importance was a tad overrated going forward. We just had a strong emotional attachment to him because of his integral role in our Super Bowl seasons.

are you serious? is it any different then with adam then JD? who comes to terms with the colts, but awaits a final offer from the good side to stay, but turns it down and signs with the dark side, kind of like if luke signed with darth vader and not yoda...now i know people on this forum don’t like baseball, but do we have to get into it in this discussion, the drama is the same in both, the media just portrays it in a different way...

:bricks:

gomezcat said:
No, the rest of the planet does exactly the same thing. It's part of the investment of being a sports fan and then feeling betrayed. I could list examples but they're pretty irrelevant unless you follow soccer.

true.
but, still, for some of our players (in primis Bledsoe, Mc Ginest and Vinatieri) i like to remember them with us and i do not 'hate' them at all...

a different story is i.e for Milloy and, partially, Law.

it depends the way you feel the player left.

and i think it is a personal decision like a fan to decide if you still like the player or if you dislike him since the day he left.

but: the colours, the uniforms and the name of the team...this is another story...

ALWAYS PASSION ,FAITH AND LOVE FOR THE PATRIOTS

IT DOES NOT MATTER IF WE WIN OR IF WE LOOSE...GO PATS !

better if we win of course...

Last edited:
PatsSaintsSox said:
are you serious? is it any different then with adam then JD? who comes to terms with the colts, but awaits a final offer from the good side to stay, but turns it down and signs with the dark side, kind of like if luke signed with darth vader and not yoda...now i know people on this forum don’t like baseball, but do we have to get into it in this discussion, the drama is the same in both, the media just portrays it in a different way...

:bricks:

AV was light years ahead of JD as far as his accomplishments in the uniform and the emotional capital he built in the fan base. Now that the dust is beginning to settle, I don't really blame him for getting the deal he got, but it does sting that it's with the dreaded Colts. Please, don't even attempt to equate the Desperate Housewives' melodramatics with Patriots players. The immaturity, whining, and sheer nonsense that typifies your "boys" at Fenway is in a universe of its own.

we're two-faced even before they leave

Murphys95 said:
IMO, it's a clear case of being two-faced. It happens everywhere.

My favorite is Steve Grogan. New Englanders have conveniently repressed all of the scorn and ill-will they poured on this guy in the early 80's (far worse than anything Bledsoe received). Funny how that works, he's a revered Patriot now.

How easily we forget that players like Russ Francis, Babe Parilli, Stanley Morgan, and Mosi Tatupu all played for other teams.
public opinion didn't turn toward grogan until we got a good look at champaign tony eason. 'nuff said.
i certainly forgot that those players above played for other teams. seriously.
in a lot of cases, grogan the example, fan support turned Against players, then became favorable as their careers ended. see ted williams, carl yastrzemski, jim rice, bob stanley, dwight evans.
unfortunately few patriots have had the chance to end their careers here. sam cunningham didn't. nor did mike haynes, fred marion, maurice hurst. did julius adams? what about jim nance, andy johnson or craig james? i don't believe ben coates did. interesting phenomenon. keep it in mind when we worry about keeping players too long.
andre tippett, steve nelson & john hannah were well regarded every day they were here, as i recall. bill lenkaitis still practices dentistry here.
willie mcginest, who should have worn only 1 uniform, won't get to have his day here like he should. i worry about troy brown, certainly would like to see him make it to that retirement press conference.

ilduce06410 said:
public opinion didn't turn toward grogan until we got a good look at champaign tony eason. 'nuff said.

You've obviously forgotten about Matt Cavanaugh. The Schaefer crowds chanted Cavanaugh's name game after game in 1981. Grogan's aura was restored when he came in for an injured Eason in 1985.

And fyi, Sam Cunningham did finish as a Patriot.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/CunnSa00.htm

Last edited:
Many Celtics have left town without scorn. It depends on who leaves and how they leave. I think we as fans just care more than most, period. About the good and the bad.

And who cares, anyway? What a BS sissy question. Bring on September already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News