PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the 3-4, read and react defence dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 3-4 and 4-3 are both ailing, due to the prevalence of sub defenses. :)

I do think that there's been a league-wide trend toward making plays go faster, e.g. in the form of shorter QB dropbacks and the like. That might be a problem for slower-developing defensive schemes.

The patriots' version of "sit back and let them get first down after first down/ bend but don't break" should be dead. Hopefully.

Hopefully BB has learned something from an aggressive defense that makes things happen. No sitting back in zone and letting the QB rip 10 to 15 yard passes of at his leisure. So pathetic. Today's QBs are too accurate to concede 10 yard pass plays.

Manning didn't break a sweat in the AFCCG and in the Superbowl Seattle broke him.

How many 5'9-5'10 zone corners did he draft in the 2nd and 3rd rounds? Butler? Wilhite? Wheatley? None of whom like to hit. Meanwhile Seattle takes an all pro in the 6th round! Not just a lucky pick, they can coach people up apparently. Pats seem to coach people down. Teach them not to look for the ball...wouldn't want to give up a long pass. So instead they concede passes unless a safety happens to be there. And get ripped to shreds by accurate QBs.

The 2013 defense was a top 10 defense in points allowed, turnovers, and #5 in sacks. Seriously, look at what these guys did before you preach too much. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2013/opp.htm

Bill Belichick coached the most aggressive defense of the late 1980s and early 1990s with the NY Giants. He also coached the 2nd best defense of the 2000s with the Patriots (my hat's off to the 2000 Ravens.) How do you think the Patriots beat the "greatest show on turf" and set the two-year record for wins and consecutive wins in 2003-04?

The 2013 Patriots defense started out as a top five attacking defense, and then the injuries began and carved out the core of the defense. It's a whole different ballgame with Mayo, Wilfork and Kelly up the middle, and a healthy Spikes.

Your "not to look for the ball" comment is ignorant. The Patriots defenses, even when giving up lots of yards, are always at the top of the league in takeaway ratio.

They'll add some guys in 2014 in the draft and in free agency to a pretty good defense.

It's certainly maddening to watch at times, but BB is a conservative defensive coach and would prefer to force the other team to beat him than to send an array of blitzes that could get torched like we've seen Brady torch Rex's Jets more times than not.

I think the traditional Fairbanks-Bullough 34 is, for the most part, dead. It's too hard to find the three down lineman who can all two-gap but also get pressure. It's also somewhat dated now because of the prevalence of passing attacks. The Pats defense now is almost more of a 2-5.

The last time I can remember seeing it was on the fly against Tebow and Broncos in Denver in 2011 when the Pats were getting run over. So now it's more of a specialty thing to stop the run.

Read-and-React is a vestige of that old 3-4, in that the DL hold up their OL counterparts, and the linebackers read the play and flow to stop it.

However in the context of the secondary, read-and-react gets lumped into zone coverage and there's no question that the Pats were far too zone-heavy in recent seasons until they got Talib. It seems like they finally got the message that you must be able to play press man in today's NFL, because the QBs are just too good and even the average ones can pick apart zone defenses.

BB coaches a lot of pattern reading which is a form a zone, but not just dropping to a spot. It's about understanding route combinations and jumping them. Asante was deadly at this, but it's better to mix and match man and zone pattern reading.

With better talent in their front seven (hopefully with Kelly/Wilfork, Armstead, Mayo, another sold defensive end) and Talib back, the Pats should be as well-stocked on defense as they've ever been since they were winning Super Bowls.

I didn't say I could educate him. I said his defenses are passive and they suck. Even a blind homer would acknowledge that.

I think he's figured it out by now.

He has had the same basic philosophy toward defense his entire career, which is diametrically opposed to your view.
You say his ideas suck.
But thats fine any one who thinks Bill Belechicks ideas about defense don't suck must be a homer because even you know more about defense than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back