PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Edelman being underestimated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holt = Insurance against the chance that Edelmann won't be able to fill the role. Not that Holt will step in and make up for Welker's absence, but Edelmann won't have as much pressure on him to go out on day 1 to be the tough, little nut that Welker is. If he does, then everybody's grinning.:D

Edleman is going to be a star. Re: Holt BB is thinking let the kid compete against these veterns..it is only going to make him better, when given the chance this is how BB prefers it to be,

'We shall have no better conditions in the future if we are satisfied with all those which we have at present'

- yes I googled :), but bang on when it comes to BB...

You have listed our 2009 lineup. Is it your prediction that neither Holt or Tate will beat out Aiken for the #3 spot? I cerrtainly believe that Aiken as the #3 on Opening Day is a long shot (and a failure).

I know that it's the offseason, but come on.

On the Patriots:

Moss - WR1
Welker - WR2
Aiken - WR3
Edelman - WR4, as Welker's backup

This isn't difficult stuff or, rather, it shouldn't be. And what Edelman would be on another team is absolutely irrelevant. On the Patriots, he's Wes Welker's backup. That makes him no higher than WR4. If two of the other receivers show well enough to gain big time rather than just the Aiken replacement doing so, he might fall as far as WR5, should Welker return and play to form.

Holt = Insurance against the chance that Edelmann won't be able to fill the role. Not that Holt will step in and make up for Welker's absence, but Edelmann won't have as much pressure on him to go out on day 1 to be the tough, little nut that Welker is. If he does, then everybody's grinning.:D

I dont think Holt has anything to do with Edelman. Holt will be outside, and Edleman in the slot.
Edelman ALREADY HAS stepped in for Welker and done fine.
I don't understand how people want to move him backward from where he already was.
If Welker is out in 2010, Edelman takes his place becaue when Welker was out in 2009 Edleman took his place and did well.

You have listed our 2009 lineup. Is it your prediction that neither Holt or Tate will beat out Aiken for the #3 spot? I cerrtainly believe that Aiken as the #3 on Opening Day is a long shot (and a failure).

Since we've not gotten to see the starting lineup for week 1 of the 2010 season, and we've not seen preseason games or training camp practices, I didn't play the "he'll be here" game, but merely noted who'll be competing with Aiken for that WR3 position. You already know how I feel about Aiken in that role.

Many folks think of him as almost as good as Welker and as a solid starting slot receiver. If that is the position taken, then he is being OVERestimated. He may reach this point, but he isn't there yet.

Or he may be there yet, but we just haven't seen it. Meaning he is ready to step in and do that, but we won't know that until the season starts.

I think the writer is just misinformed. If Holt is going to be in the slot, who is going to be the wideout opposite Moss... The Aiken disaster again? Tate who is just as proven?

Last edited:
Edelman was amazing last year considering he was playing WR for the first time. There is a chance he could emerge into a very good WR in his second year. He may not end up being a slot WR when everything is said and done either. He might turn more into a Deion Branch than a Wes Welker. They put him in the slot because it was probably easier to learn the routes as a novice.

As for Holt in the slot, it was already reported that the Pats do not intend on using him there (at least as his primary position) and they intend to line him up on the outside.

Thank you for getting the answer right! ;)

Edelman is not Welker. He is a guy who filled in admirably and might get a crack at the position full time this year for at least the first half of the season but to put him in the same breath as a guy that catches more than 100 freakin passes a year?

On the other hand Edelman is being overlooked by the general media, sure. He is not a star or a household name except in NE.

Our TEs are really diverse this year and will cause mismatch problems for our opponents. It will be a function of the particular tight ends lined up, the defense's personel and what mismatches we're trying to take advantage of. I think it will leave options for a variety of WR's to line up across from Moss, especially if Price and Farnham catch on quickly. I'm confident Tate is the real deal.

Imagine trying to cover Gronk, Hernandez, Moss, Edelman/Franham and Faulk? BB has learned from the Saints.

I've never, EVER, seen a BB/Brady led offense use the TE's. I was excited about Gronk and Hernandez, truly talented TE's, who have different skillsets. BUT, I think we have to wait and see, IF they sign on time, IF they learn the offense, IF they bust their tails, and then maybe, just maybe, the Pats will use the TE as a receiving weapon. Let's not forget, David Graham was the Mackey award winner for best TE coming out of college, better known for his receiving skills than blocking. He's become a great blocker, but never was utilized as a receiver (not as much as he should have been). Ben Watson, was the most talented TE we ever had (I'm speaking talent guys), and look at what happened with him. Neither became elite TE's. So i think I will just wait and see with Gronkowski and Hernandez, exciting prospects, lets see if the Pats use them correctly and take advantage of their skillsets.

I've never, EVER, seen a BB/Brady led offense use the TE's. I was excited about Gronk and Hernandez, truly talented TE's, who have different skillsets. BUT, I think we have to wait and see, IF they sign on time, IF they learn the offense, IF they bust their tails, and then maybe, just maybe, the Pats will use the TE as a receiving weapon. Let's not forget, David Graham was the Mackey award winner for best TE coming out of college, better known for his receiving skills than blocking. He's become a great blocker, but never was utilized as a receiver (not as much as he should have been). Ben Watson, was the most talented TE we ever had (I'm speaking talent guys), and look at what happened with him. Neither became elite TE's. So i think I will just wait and see with Gronkowski and Hernandez, exciting prospects, lets see if the Pats use them correctly and take advantage of their skillsets.

2006, until Watson got dinged up.

Hernandez is going to be used more as a H-Back/WR than a TE. He'll most likely line up more in the slot than on the LOS.

I think the WR spot should actually be fine next year if Holt can give them like 80% of what he was able to do last year in JAX. The fact that defenses will be asked to cover more than just 2 receivers (like last year) should improve the passing game.

I think the national media is underestimating Edleman. IMO he will be much better this year than last, much more comfortable with the position.

Is he Welker? Of course not, Welker is the best slot receiver in the league. However he will be very productive and among the better slot receivers in the league.

Tate is the real key, can he get healthy? if so he could be an impact player, it is more likely that we will have to depend on Holt this year.

Edleman talking to the press at the Razor:

Asked about the pressure of stepping into a tough spot, Edelman shrugged it off.

"My dad always told me that's not really pressure. He said pressure is when you have a $1,000 bill [to pay] and you only have $500 in the bank. With three kids, that's pressure," he responded.

"We get paid to play a game, and you're given opportunities, and you're supposed to take advantage of those opportunities."

Love this kid, hope a few of the guys we just drafted have this attitude. From an article on Edelman over at ESPNBOSTON.

I would not be so fast in saying that Edelman will be "much better" this year. For one thing, when he came out of the slot, he frequently got picked up by the under zone which is to say he got no respect. Naturally that would not happen with Welker who you would try to hammer underneath with an over the top spy (Saints). I think that if you see any combination of Welker or Edelman with a 2 TE, even in a 3 WR 1 TE set, the defense will likely go MOFC, four under, etc. to respect vertical seams. Rather than will and sam move zone on eye reads, they align to the slot read.

Last edited:

He's never had a reliable TE as a pass catcher, I'm not sure brady ever trusted any of them to throw too.

Watson was a great athlete with stone hands, Graham was a tremendous blocker but he really wasn't that great in the passing game.

I'm really excited about Gronkowski (sp?) he can get down field (not the fastest guy around but adequate speed) and has really soft hands and will be a reliable target for Brady. In the next 2 years I think you will see the TE catching the ball more than in previous years.

There are no #1, #2, #3s. There are X, Y, Z. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they stand for Split End, Slot, and Flanker. Ys can also be tight ends. Welker and Edelman are thus Ys. Moss is an X or Z depending on formation. As is Holt and Belichick even said that Tate was an X.

The team probably uses certain names for positions in formations and such. This is generic for football. If you're counting anything it is reads. When I watch Brady in the pocket he looks for Moss first and then Welker. Welker would be the second read and his position would be slot or Y. Makes sense because a Moss catch will usually be for more yards.

The big thing Edelman needs to do is gain more yards on his catches. The offense will be okay and not because Edelman is underestimated. It will be because Torry effing Holt, of all people, is underestimated.

i don't think he is underestimated cause a lot of the media think that the pats won't miss welker that much they will just put Edelman, in and not miss a beat

i think he will be a 70 to 80 catch WR that will line up all over the field and make plays

I dont think Holt has anything to do with Edelman. Holt will be outside, and Edleman in the slot.
Edelman ALREADY HAS stepped in for Welker and done fine.
I don't understand how people want to move him backward from where he already was.
If Welker is out in 2010, Edelman takes his place becaue when Welker was out in 2009 Edleman took his place and did well.

I agree. It ain't rocket science--Edelman is not an outside guy.
He more than adequately filledl in for Welker in the slot in his rookie year so BB struck gold there and he's great insurance and probably the slot guy of the future as Welker starts to slow down. Holt was brought in in fill the Gaffney role on the outside and he Tate, Price and Patten will compete for that spot..

Not saying Edelman can't develop into an outside starter eventually, but I think it's highly unlikely. He'll still get snaps when Welker returns--dhey will they will just have to get creative, Not sure why so many are buying into that he will be our other wideout this year. Unless Holt is cut and Tate is a bust, Edelman is holding down Welker's spot.

So on this board, I'd definitely say overrated.

There are no #1, #2, #3s. There are X, Y, Z. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they stand for Split End, Slot, and Flanker. Ys can also be tight ends. Welker and Edelman are thus Ys. Moss is an X or Z depending on formation. As is Holt and Belichick even said that Tate was an X.

The team probably uses certain names for positions in formations and such. This is generic for football. If you're counting anything it is reads. When I watch Brady in the pocket he looks for Moss first and then Welker. Welker would be the second read and his position would be slot or Y. Makes sense because a Moss catch will usually be for more yards.

The big thing Edelman needs to do is gain more yards on his catches. The offense will be okay and not because Edelman is underestimated. It will be because Torry effing Holt, of all people, is underestimated.

It's not worth the effort man. Some minds are too stubborn of thought to accept this kind of thinking.... no matter how flawed numbering receivers is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News