PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Edelman being underestimated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the pats run 2 wide receiver formations, who's the WR on the other side of moss, Edelman or Holt?

I think it depends on the situation. Don't forget Tate, he's going to have a good year.

I think it depends on the situation. Don't forget Tate, he's going to have a good year.

I added some extra options for you ;)

I realise that it would depend on the situation etc, but I was referring to the majority of 2 WR sets (I think they will run more 2TE/2WR sets this year).

I personally think that Julian Edelman is being underestimated and is going to be a big name in this league for a long time.
Agree completely.

Durability has to be considered an issue with Edelman, with two injuries last year and the fact that slot receivers get treated like a pinball in a old-time pinball machine. Holt may have similar issues due to age.

Personally I'd like to see Moss have less reps this year to preserve his health for late in the year too.

Moss-80% of snaps
Edelman-50%
Holt-50%
Tate-45%
others combined-42%

This adds up to 267%, meaning 3WR sets 2/3 of the time and 2 WR sets 1/3 of the time... roughly.

Obviously Welker in the second half, hopefully, assumes many of those snaps.

Last edited:
I added some extra options for you ;)

I realise that it would depend on the situation etc, but I was referring to the majority of 2 WR sets (I think they will run more 2TE/2WR sets this year).

Our TEs are really diverse this year and will cause mismatch problems for our opponents. It will be a function of the particular tight ends lined up, the defense's personel and what mismatches we're trying to take advantage of. I think it will leave options for a variety of WR's to line up across from Moss, especially if Price and Farnham catch on quickly. I'm confident Tate is the real deal.

Imagine trying to cover Gronk, Hernandez, Moss, Edelman/Franham and Faulk? BB has learned from the Saints.

Last edited:
Obviously Edelman is no replacement for Welker, certainly not in his 2nd year. I do however believe that he is capeable of playing the role Welker had. He can be the guy who lines up in the slot and work the middle of the field, run those bubble screens, those types of things.

Last year I thought he played like a good #4 WR. Hopefully this year he will improve and because a good #3, to go along with Holt and Moss. I definitley think he is gonna put up some solid numbers in this offense.

This guy knows what's up. :cool:

People dont seem to realize that he is just in his 2nd year of playing WR at any level. Its going to take some time for him to completely learn the position. I thought he had a very promising rookie season. He will do some of the things Welker did but I dont think you can say that he will compltely be a full replacement for Welker. He can do some of the same things, but just isnt up to Welker yet

Of course he won't be better than Welker would have been this year, but Patrick Crayton is 5th on the Cowboys depth chart. He's there for a reason.

That being said, Edelman is bigger, stronger, and faster than Welker.

Since when do #4 receivers average 7 catches/game?

First of all, Edelman played in 7 games last year and recorded 37 receptions. That averages out to 5 receptions per game. Secondly, Edelman was, in effect, the WR4 in our offense. It went: Moss, Welker, Aiken, Edelman when he was healthy.

Obviously Edelman is no replacement for Welker, certainly not in his 2nd year. I do however believe that he is capeable of playing the role Welker had. He can be the guy who lines up in the slot and work the middle of the field, run those bubble screens, those types of things.

Last year I thought he played like a good #4 WR. Hopefully this year he will improve and because a good #3, to go along with Holt and Moss. I definitley think he is gonna put up some solid numbers in this offense.

In the 4 games that Welker didn't play Atl, NYJ, Hou (injured ealry 1st quarter) and Balt Edelman had 27 catches 265 yds 2 TDs. If you project that over 16 games it's 108 catches 1060 yds 8 Tds. Considering he was a rookie, who never played WR he had an unbelievable year. I'm not saying we won't miss Welker, who has better hands, but it's realistic to think Edelman will be even better.

The national media don't watch all the Pats games they are looking at the 37 catches for the year. The problem was because Welker/Edelman are pure slot guys it was hard to effectively use them at the same time. I hope that when (if) Welker comes back the coaches can come up with some creative ways to use them effectively when there are on the field at the same time.

In the 4 games that Welker didn't play Atl, NYJ, Hou (injured ealry 1st quarter) and Balt Edelman had 27 catches 265 yds 2 TDs. If you project that over 16 games it's 108 catches 1060 yds 8 Tds. Considering he was a rookie, who never played WR he had an unbelievable year. I'm not saying we won't miss Welker, who has better hands, but it's realistic to think Edelman will be even better.

The national media don't watch all the Pats games they are looking at the 37 catches for the year. The problem was because Welker/Edelman are pure slot guys it was hard to effectively use them at the same time. I hope that when (if) Welker comes back the coaches can come up with some creative ways to use them effectively when there are on the field at the same time.

I think Edelman might have a little more straight line speed than Welker does, when he can get open, so with Welker in the slot it's possible Edelman has a role on the outside, running the intermediate routes.

He's also a little bigger, so there are roles for him on the outside when we're inside the ten yard line. Line up Moss and Edelman on the outside, with Gronk and Crump as TE's and the RB du jour and you've got a pretty versatile offensive set for those last ten yards.

I'm somewhat concerned with his durability but he's one quick son of a gun. Now that you mention it I feel the opposite way personally I think he is overrated rather than underrated but I can't wait to see him back at full strength.

Paul Perillo in PFW:

USA Today:

The Landry Hat (a Cowboys blog):

There are other quotes I could have picked besides these that suggest that Edelman either can't fill Welker's spot until Welker gets healthy, or shouldn't be allowed to.

What makes this perplexing is that Edelman already has put up Welker-like numbers in the slot. Edelman is almost literally the closest thing to a Welker clone since Welker entered the league, so why do people want to put someone else in the slot?

I tend to agree. When reporters talk about Welker being out, they instantly go to names like Holt, Tate, and Price. Easily overlooked is Edelman, yet he probably has the most productive season out of all of them.

People dont seem to realize that he is just in his 2nd year of playing WR at any level. Its going to take some time for him to completely learn the position. I thought he had a very promising rookie season. He will do some of the things Welker did but I dont think you can say that he will compltely be a full replacement for Welker. He can do some of the same things, but just isnt up to Welker yet

This right here is why I think he is highly underrated.

he has one year of experience as a WR and he had a broken arm for a large portion of that one year and yet he still put up decent numbers for his role and without his injury and with Welkers injury his role should expand and the more time goes by the more experience and knowledge he gains. IMO we don't know how much potential is there and I think people have chosen to more cautious when estimating his production and I think he could in the next few years develope into a top flight WR.

First of all, Edelman played in 7 games last year and recorded 37 receptions. That averages out to 5 receptions per game. Secondly, Edelman was, in effect, the WR4 in our offense. It went: Moss, Welker, Aiken, Edelman when he was healthy.

When Edelman started, he had 7 rec/game. That isn't a #4 guy. He appeared to be a #4, because his skill set puts him in a similar role to Welker. When Wes wath healthy, Edelman rarely played. He's a slot guy, and is VERY productive when he plays.

Last edited:
When Edelman started, he had 7 rec/game. That isn't a #4 guy.
Call me when a #4 receiver starts a game because he obviously wasn't #4 that game if he was starting, depth charts do change game to game because of injuries n such.

Last edited:
Of course he won't be better than Welker would have been this year, but Patrick Crayton is 5th on the Cowboys depth chart. He's there for a reason.

That being said, Edelman is bigger, stronger, and faster than Welker.

I don't agree with this. Edelman might be a little taller, but he appears to have a much higer center of gravity than Welker does. Welker's core and legs are very powerful. If you see Welker in person in "street cloths", you'll notice he's a lot thicker than he appears in pads on TV.

Saying Edelman is maybe better than Wes because he's stronger, faster etc is nonsense

Welker has smarts, has an explosive turn of direction and acceleration (the sort where he can change direction on a middle linebacker and immediately get open) and gets a lot of YAC because he's a tough little bugger

Edelman did great last year but he wasnt asked to run nearly as many routes as Welker did and we dont know if he ever ran his own option routes which Wes obviously did

Saying all that its awesome to have the both of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back