PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Dean Pees still better than Romeo Crennel was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
In 2005 and early 2006 I thought that Dean Pees had done more than enough to make us forget of how good Crennel's defense was in our Super Bowl championship years but now with a 3rd consecutive crucial playoff loss since he became cooprdinator,I wonder if he has what it takes to get the defense motivated and to have the near perfect play calling like Crennel did once the playoffs begin,It seems based on the past 3 years that the team looks strong defensively into the early stage of the playoffs but eventualy folds unlike the strong defense that continued right to the end of the Super Bowls in the Crennel era as DC.

Or maybe its the play calling that is not good mixed in with the defense we have now which may not have been as good as in the glory days,I don't know what it is but I do know this defense did not breakdown from 2001 to 2004 (even in our lousy 2002 season the defense was fine,The offense struggled),Or maybe its the fact that this team is nowhere as talented on defense as it was back then.

I do know is that this team needs some major work on the defensive areas that were showing signs of weakness as the season progressed and fix them by either letting guys go like Gay and Harrison and getting some youth or faster players out in the secondary - Also the front 3 have not perofrmed anywhere near the dominating line they used to be - Pees has his work cut out for him going into 2008 - I wonder how things would have been with Romeo if he had stayed....

I think that the middle of our defense is just plain "OLD". Teams were not running away from Bruschi and Seau. They ran right at them. Rodney seemed a step slow too, but I think that he was playing a little banged up. Just a guess, he was on the last injury report (Gillett) with a thigh injury.
I wouldn't mind if BB looked outside of the organization for a new DB coach. Our secondary has been "AVERAGE" at best the last 2 years. Our problems are at linebacker, corner and safety. The D-line did what they were supposed to do, but the linebackers didn't do what they were supposed to do.
I also notice a lot of standing around and watching another player make a play. James Sanders was close to that infamous catch, why not go over there and hit the guy and help Rodney out. There was to much of that this year, IMO.

Bottomline, IMHO, it's a combination of three things, personnel, coaching and scheme.

Dean Pees didn't make Meriweather and Asante drop easy picks. Dean Pees didn't make AD and 2 other Pats let Eli slip out of a sack. Dean Pees didn't make a catch on the top of his helmet. Dean Pees didn't make Harison unable to knock the ball out of Tynes hands on that play. Dean Pees wasn't the reason the Pats only scored 14 points.

Here is my concern about Dean Pees. Why wasn't he doing his job?

I have seen many a thread calling for Josh's head.

But think about this...BB trusted Josh enough to let him run the offense, while Bill played DC. Bill would watch the field when the defense was on the field and when the offense was on the field he was coaching the defense. BB had no idea what was happening on offense.

If BB had watched the the first half he maybe he could have made better adjustments at half time.

If BB is not splitting his time between O and D, then there is a problem with one of them.

I am not ready to call for the firing of anyone on a team that won 18 out of 19, but if there is a coaching problem it is Dean not Josh.

The defensive has certainly seemed much more vanilla the past few years, particularly this year. But I guess that must be because of personnel. We didn't hear much about Belichick confusing QB's this year with exotic defensive schemes and blitzes. I thought maybe he was holding back during the year in order to have some tricks up his sleeves for the Super Bowl, but I guess not.

Last edited:
Romeo >>> Pees.

As rock 'n roll detective Ford Fairlane would say: Case Ca-losed. Ow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back