PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Billy Volek that much of a downgrade for the Chargers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I don't think so,Billy has been a career backup but had some decent play especially in 2003 when he threw for about 20 TDs and 8 of those in 2 games back to back.

I keep reading of how slim the Chargers chances are with Volek starting but after checking out his stats when he was the starting QB is really not so bad.

In fact it may be an UPGRADE over an erratic and over emotional Phillip Rivers who I think may not see action at least most of the first half.

I think Volek starting is nearly a certainty at this time barring any major medical discovery which would heal not 1 but both of Rivers knees.

I think he'd be an upgrade for the simple fact that rivers hobbling around on braces will get sacked about 12 times.

I don't think so,Billy has been a career backup but had some decent play especially in 2003 when he threw for about 20 TDs and 8 of those in 2 games back to back.

I keep reading of how slim the Chargers chances are with Volek starting but after checking out his stats when he was the starting QB is really not so bad.

In fact it may be an UPGRADE over an erratic and over emotional Phillip Rivers who I think may not see action at least most of the first half.

I think Volek starting is nearly a certainty at this time barring any major medical discovery which would heal not 1 but both of Rivers knees.
Well, I think versus Indy, you would consider him JV. But next weekend, you see him as an upgrade;)

Whether he's better than a banged up Rivers, I have no idea. I do know that 1) he's very good for a backup and 2) I could only dream about facing Billy Volek instead of Peyton Manning in the AFCCG.

Whether he's better than a banged up Rivers, I have no idea. I do know that 1) he's very good for a backup and 2) I could only dream about facing Billy Volek instead of Peyton Manning in the AFCCG.

To face Billy Volek or Peyton Manning ....
HMMMMM Tough one to choose from between the two ;)

To even ask the question is absurd. Rivers is very good and for the a significantly large part of his career has been a very good qb with championship qualities.

Yes he is. If SD is going with Volek it's ovah! The pats can get the engraver working right away. Why wait?

If any pats fans believe that then you're definitely more arrogant than I thought.

Billy Volek was a fantasy football playoff savior in 2003 when him and Drew Bennett went nuts the last few games of the regular season. I haven't seen him play too much since then (other than this past weekend), but from everything I have seen, I am hoping we get to face Rivers instead. Rivers is terrible. At least we aren't facing Drew Brees.

Isn't he a backup for a reason?

How his stats were obtained needs to be looked at.
How many tough defenses has he faced in a playoff situation?
The only advantage he may have is BB hasn't much film on him.
You wouldn't call him battle tested would you?

I'm sure rivers can talk just as much smack from the bench as he can on the field, so no downgrade there.

Billy Volek was a fantasy football playoff savior in 2003 when him and Drew Bennett went nuts the last few games of the regular season. I haven't seen him play too much since then (other than this past weekend), but from everything I have seen, I am hoping we get to face Rivers instead. Rivers is terrible. At least we aren't facing Drew Brees.

Lol please you probably never seen rivers in your life. He threw more picks this year than last year but still had a solid year this year. Was MUCH better than eli manning has been only difference is one player plays in san diego one doesn't. Not to mention Rivers has beaten tougher teams and volek really just flat out sucks man. I mean sucks. How he did that I have no idea but he looked terrible in his play against the titans in the reg season. I mean wow.... Rivers is FAR more capable as a qb

Isn't he a backup for a reason?

How his stats were obtained needs to be looked at.
How many tough defenses has he faced in a playoff situation?
The only advantage he may have is BB hasn't much film on him.
You wouldn't call him battle tested would you?

I think Billy is just as good or more capable than say a Trent Dilfer,Damon Huard or a Kurt Warner at this point - all of these QBs were starters recently who have been starters before and bench warmers in between.

Last edited:
Lol please you probably never seen rivers in your life. He threw more picks this year than last year but still had a solid year this year. Was MUCH better than eli manning has been only difference is one player plays in san diego one doesn't. Not to mention Rivers has beaten tougher teams and volek really just flat out sucks man. I mean sucks. How he did that I have no idea but he looked terrible in his play against the titans in the reg season. I mean wow.... Rivers is FAR more capable as a qb

So you use Eli as a measuring stick to measure your quarterback?

So you use Eli as a measuring stick to measure your quarterback?

They were both drafted the same year and traded for each other. I heard someone in the east coast media try to say manning was better than rivers and i just about puked. Manning couldn't hold rivers jock.
Put it like this I feel like fans and the media put Rivers at the level of say a Tim Couch when he first started or alex smith maybe when he is more like the pro bowl level qb those guys aren't but he IS.

Last edited:

Rivers is a wackjob.

They were both drafted the same year and traded for each other. I heard someone in the east coast media try to say manning was better than rivers and i just about puked. Manning couldn't hold rivers jock.

UMMM You have to have BALLS to wear a jock - Rivers has no balls and doesn't need a jock

To even ask the question is absurd. Rivers is very good and for the a significantly large part of his career has been a very good qb with championship qualities.

im trying to figure out where ur coming from....but everything points to SD, LOL which makes ur statement incredibly understandable

im trying to figure out where ur coming from....but everything points to SD, LOL which makes ur statement incredibly understandable

I'm coming from the fact the Rivers went from being picked over tom brady for the pro bowl to all of the sudden being a below avg qb for having a bad stretch and then playing back to his pro bowl form for MOST of the season especially heading into the playoffs. And how the CHargers went from being favorites at home last year to 15 point dogs on the road? I don't buy it. I don't buy that the Chargers can't beat the patriots in a cold weather pound it out windy game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back