PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is BB hurting TB's chances for another ring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is knee jerk and smacks of a football understanding seen through the prism of fantasy football. The actual game is very different than how the OP sees it.
To win a Superbowl in any year you have to be lucky. That's just the way it is. In both 2007 and 2011 the football gods went against us. The Tyree Catch? If Manning thows that same ball 5000 times, its never caught again. We win. If Samuels picks off the ball he should have caught, we win. Last year, Manning threads a needle to Manningham and again, if he throws that ball 5000 times, its likely only caught one time, maybe twice. We had some breaks along the way from 2001 to 2004 and unfortunately things tend to even out. But, you show me another team that has been in the Superbowl 5 times in 11 years. Which team other than the Pats has done that? What other fan base has had their coach do a better job for them? Just name it as to who has it better.

29d.jpg

The facts of the matter are this:

1) Characterizing Belichick as "defensive genius" no longer applies. His defenses have become considerably less reliable and prone to choking.

2) The eroding defense is largely attributable to Belichick's incompetent personnel decisions (particularly the many poor DB draft picks).

3) Belichick now seems largely incapable of coaching the team to victory in close games.

4) Belichick has not represented himself well in the last several postseasons (i.e. he has been outcoached).

5) Belichick has not provided Brady with a consistent receiving core throughout his career. Many good and bad receivers have come and gone (and come back again in some cases). At times (such as 2006) the WR core was a complete joke. The "phasing out" of Wes Welker (the team's best WR) that was apparent at least in weeks 1 & 2 (until the Hernandez injury) was one of the most arrogant and stupid coaching decisions of all-time.

6) Belichick has not complemented Brady (and the passing game) with a stud running back other than Corey Dillon (and he more or less started to mail it in after the '04 season).

7) Belichick has not been as valuable as Brady to the franchise (i.e. Belichick has needed Brady more than vice versa).

:eek:... Thank you for the Ignore function Ian

This thread is knee jerk and smacks of a football understanding seen through the prism of fantasy football. The actual game is very different than how the OP sees it.
To win a Superbowl in any year you have to be lucky. That's just the way it is. In both 2007 and 2011 the football gods went against us. The Tyree Catch? If Manning thows that same ball 5000 times, its never caught again. We win. If Samuels picks off the ball he should have caught, we win. Last year, Manning threads a needle to Manningham and again, if he throws that ball 5000 times, its likely only caught one time, maybe twice. We had some breaks along the way from 2001 to 2004 and unfortunately things tend to even out. But, you show me another team that has been in the Superbowl 5 times in 11 years. Which team other than the Pats has done that? What other fan base has had their coach do a better job for them? Just name it as to who has it better.

Luck is a small part of it, IMO. You need talent, preparation, good matchups, execution and to make the plays when you absolutely need to make them.

In the years after 2004, the Pats have had some of these dynamics and not others. That is why they are ofer-SB since.

In my opinion, BB has made some in-game calls, personnel and strategy mistakes for sure but is the low on the list in citing reasons why this team has not won SBs in 8 years. However, depending on your perspective, hes the #1 reason why

The facts of the matter are this:

1) Characterizing Belichick as "defensive genius" no longer applies. His defenses have become considerably less reliable and prone to choking.

2) The eroding defense is largely attributable to Belichick's incompetent personnel decisions (particularly the many poor DB draft picks).

3) Belichick now seems largely incapable of coaching the team to victory in close games.

4) Belichick has not represented himself well in the last several postseasons (i.e. he has been outcoached).

5) Belichick has not provided Brady with a consistent receiving core throughout his career. Many good and bad receivers have come and gone (and come back again in some cases). At times (such as 2006) the WR core was a complete joke. The "phasing out" of Wes Welker (the team's best WR) that was apparent at least in weeks 1 & 2 (until the Hernandez injury) was one of the most arrogant and stupid coaching decisions of all-time.

6) Belichick has not complemented Brady (and the passing game) with a stud running back other than Corey Dillon (and he more or less started to mail it in after the '04 season).

7) Belichick has not been as valuable as Brady to the franchise (i.e. Belichick has needed Brady more than vice versa).

Agreed. Good points. Brady needs more support now than ever in order to get a few more rings - or even one more.

This might be sacriledge but a this stage of their careers - is BB hurting Brady's chances of getting another ring? Would we be better off with a slightly younger head coach and a change of philosophy to some extent?

Brady's getting older but his talent is just amazing and needs to get some more rings before he retires and I just don't think BB has created the best team around him for support - defense and offense. Horrible corners and no major RBs and really no star WR.

Can we ever imagine a Pats team with Brady as QB but no BB?

didnt_read_lol.gif

I guess this thread is being used a type of forum based flypaper to draw out all the 'special' posters we have here?

This one lost its practice squad eligibility half way through the first paragraph.

If you are going to suggest a new coach. Then tell me who will be the:

GM
HC
DC
OC

Why is there no thread approval process? Forget about the ignore option. Ian should have an approval process.

Oh, and 'crawhammer', Why are you pretending to be a fan? You should really think twice before you post.
Excuse me, homer fanboy, but I'm a long time season ticket holder with loyalty to this team that likely far exceeds yours. My post is genuine and thoughtful; if you have an issue with the content therein then perhaps you should dispute it as opposed to advocating arbitrary forum censorship.

The obvious answer to your question is Tom Coughlin; he has outcoached Belichick in two Super Bowls now. Beyond that, no other team has been to 5 Super Bowls in the last 11 seasons, but no other team has had Tom Brady, arguably the greatest QB in the history of the NFL.

You're wrong too about the Manningham reception, that was excellent execution that could have been duplicated many times, particularly against a defense as porous as the Patriot's. That defense was destined to choke. The '07 defense, although generally posed to stop an opponent, also choked on that final Super Bowl drive, having missed several opportunities to close out the victory. That being said, the game planning, in game adjustments, and situational decision making of Belichick were critically flawed in both Super Bowl losses. If you didn't have such blind adoration for Belichick then perhaps you could acknowledge it.

Time for thread ignore..

I think it's a safe bet that the OP doesn't have to shave yet, so let's go a little easy on him.

Having said that.....yikes.

The obvious answer to your question is Tom Coughlin; he has outcoached Belichick in two Super Bowls now. Beyond that, no other team has been to 5 Super Bowls in the last 11 seasons, but no other team has had Tom Brady, arguably the greatest QB in the history of the NFL.

You're wrong too about the Manningham reception, that was excellent execution that could have been duplicated many times, particularly against a defense as porous as the Patriot's. That defense was destined to choke. The '07 defense, although generally posed to stop an opponent, also choked on that final Super Bowl drive, having missed several opportunities to close out the victory. That being said, the game planning, in game adjustments, and situational decision making of Belichick were critically flawed in both Super Bowl losses. If you didn't have such blind adoration for Belichick then perhaps you could acknowledge it.

If you are going to advocate a coaching change, then tell me who do you hire.

GM
HC
DC
OC

Excuse me, homer fanboy, but I'm a long time season ticket holder with loyalty to this team that likely far exceeds yours. My post is genuine and thoughtful; if you have an issue with the content therein then perhaps you should dispute it as opposed to advocating arbitrary forum censorship.
I smell a Troll

Last edited:
Yeah, it really sucked how Belichick coached up a talent-deprived, injury-riddled defense into something good - or at least, complimentary - enough to get us 1 play from winning the Super Bowl last year.

If only we had Rex :bricks:

Last edited:

Good grief, here we go again.

First off, I'm not a homer. I've had many posts that disagreed with BB, and TFB. Secondly, you look like an azz when you puff out your chest, doing that whole "Im a long time season ticket holder" crap. My family had season tickets since the day the stadium opened, but I don't brag about it trying to make myself look like more of a fan than someone else. I went to games when that place was called Schaefer Stadium. I may have been young, but I remember Grogan, Sam Bam, and Francis. Just because I currently live in Nashville, Doesnt mean I'm less of a fan than you.

As for your opinions about BB, others have addressed your comments, and tried to show you why you are wrong. Your opinion obviously isnt going to be swayed, so I'm not going to bother explaining it to you again. You're entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that you don't have a clue about BB, his past, or his future with this team. My advice is that you should become a Jets fan.

Change the post to "Is Josh McDaniels hurting TB's chances for another ring"
and I will agree. Too many gimmick plays resulting in huge losses. Examples
are the attempted flea flicker in the Arizona gsame and trying an end around twice Sunday night with a huge loss the second time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News