PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is anyone else concerned about our lack of pass rush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can say Connor Barwin if your primary concern is replacing Thomas in 2011. That is amjor concern and a reasonable use of a top draft pick. Do you expect him to be a major contributer in 2009 or even a starter quality player in 2010?

However, if you want more than Thomas-Woods-BantaCain at OLB for 2009, I would suggest considering other names in place of Barwin, or in addition to Barwin. Or you could hope that Crable develops very quickly.

We didn't have the talent in 2008 to rush the QB. Our olbs were either too long in the tooth (Vrabel) or had to make up for the deficiency of others (Thomas). That's why the sack numbers were down. Don't blame the system. And it's not sack numbers alone that we should look at, it's overall QB pressures. Sacks are just one indicator. The pressure wasn't there in 2008. Let's look at the numbers over the years.

2008 31 sacks 14th 11-5, Missed playoffs
2007 47 sacks 2nd 16-0, Lost Superbowl
2006 44 sacks 5th 12-4, Lost AFC title game to Colts
2005 33 sacks 23rd 10-6, Lost to Denver in playoffs
2004 45 sacks 3rd Superbowl Champions
2003 41 sacks 6th Superbowl Champions
2002 34 sacks 20th Missed Playoffs
2001 41 sacks 13th Superbowl Champions

As you can see, there appears to be a direct correlation to how good the New England pass rush is, to how well they do in the playoffs. Now I'm not saying that the sacks are the only thing to look at, I think that the number of QB pressures will be higher in those successful years as well. But if you look at the numbers, improving the passrush has got to be priority #1 for the Pats in the upcoming draft. Can we say Connor Barwin?

Sack stats courtesy of NFL.com:
NFL Stats: by Team Category

You can say Connor Barwin if your primary concern is replacing Thomas in 2011. That is amjor concern and a reasonable use of a top draft pick. Do you expect him to be a major contributer in 2009 or even a starter quality player in 2010?

However, if you want more than Thomas-Woods-BantaCain at OLB for 2009, I would suggest considering other names in place of Barwin, or in addition to Barwin. Or you could hope that Crable develops very quickly.

I agree 100%. Barwin, Maybin and Mathews are developmental prospects, much like Crable was last year.

If Crable shows up at TC in the 260-265 range and has added strength and some sand in the pants, I think he could be the starter opposite Thomas, especially if he can set the edge.

You won't be worried about the pass rush this year

Hell yea Peppers will help with the Pass Rush if the deal is done!! I cant wait for next season :D

We also signed Tank Williams to help
Also Ventrone!

Man oh man.. I hope we can work out a Peppers trade somehow!

I agree with all your analysis. I certainly do not believe that the team has consistently struggled in our pass rush. We bend and don't break.

We bend and don't break? What I saw this year was a team that didn't bend at all, and then broke horifically on third down.

3rd and 10+ seemed to be code for first down.

I think three of our top four OLB's were on the IR last year. I could see how our pash rush might suffer.

If the Pats don't get Peppers or Taylor, their looking at a draft pick or Crable to be the savior of that pass rush. I don't think the Pats are going to be excited if they are forced to play TBC or Woods full time. Let's say the season started today and the Pats started TBC or Woods at outside LB. Unless Mayo and Guyton can guard the TE's, the pass rush would be non existent. Why? Because their only good pass rushing LB (Thomas) would be forced to cover the TE because Thomas is the best coverage LB.

I really liked what I saw out of Crable during last preseason and was bummed out when he ended up on injured reserve. If Crable comes back with a strong camp, he will get more playing time and maybe win the starting job, assuming the Pats didn't trade for Peppers or signed Taylor.

I'm kinda past the point of concerned about the pass rush and here's why. Anybody relying on woods or tbc is just foolish so throw that out. We have 4 picks in the first two rounds of the draft and this class is supposively deep with hybrid pass rushers. If bb thinks there's a legit pass rusher he can draft the he would be sitting back with his feet on the table and just wait to draft one. There wouldn't be any trade talks for peppers or Taylor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back