PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Injured Reserve Rule Change

Didn't see this reported elsewhere, but good change for any player that gets injured in the preseason.

Another holdover rule from the pre-salary cap days where player stashing was a real concern. Limiting it to 2 people should squash any real abuse potential. Glad this change was made.

Didn't see this reported elsewhere, but good change for any player that gets injured in the preseason.

I think they are way too strict on these rules. Football is so violent that I don’t see any reason to limit the players returning from IR.

I don't think Ari is exactly correct. I read the rule change and it looks like they still need to wait until roster cutdown day to place the player on IR, they can't just IR the player any time during pre-season and then bring them back later.

However, effectively it's still an improvement - the player just stays on the larger roster "active" even though they are injured and now is able to be placed on IR on cutdown day instead of needing to take up a spot on the 53 man roster for 1 day and then go on IR the next day, while another guy who would've otherwise made the roster gets cut and re-signed the next day if he's still around and not claimed. However, teams are only able to do this with 2 players, so any team with multiple pre-season injuries still have to pick and choose who to designate.

Another holdover rule from the pre-salary cap days where player stashing was a real concern. Limiting it to 2 people should squash any real abuse potential. Glad this change was made.

I'm glad too. I mentioned this last year when the Pats had to put Bolden on the IR and lost him for the season because of his concussion.

I like this change... it doesn't go far enough imo... there should be no limitation other than roster numbers that limits player call ups or returns... its always seemed criminal to lose a player for the season if he had to hit the IR in camp...

I like it ...
I wish the practice squad would go away ... larger roster ... but cheap owners like the 53.

I don't doubt for a moment that the owners think they are saving tons of money by keeping the roster at 53, and paying practice squad players less money.

Practice squad players make $12,000 per week (or $216,000 for 18 weeks). Veteran players with over two years of experience will make a minimum of $16,100 per week (or $289,800 for 18 weeks), and a maximum of $20,600 per week (or $370,800 for 18 weeks).

There is also a maximum of ten free agent players per club who have earned no more than two accrued seasons (low pay rookies).

Last year the minimum rookie salary was $750,000.

So $750,000 minus $370,800 equals $379,200.
Multiply times 18 equals $6,825,600.
More savings if you factor in a lower ($289,800) number.

The billionaire owners don't need an extra $6 million, but they surely will grab it if they can.

I don't doubt for a moment that the owners think they are saving tons of money by keeping the roster at 53, and paying practice squad players less money.

Practice squad players make $12,000 per week (or $216,000 for 18 weeks). Veteran players with over two years of experience will make a minimum of $16,100 per week (or $289,800 for 18 weeks), and a maximum of $20,600 per week (or $370,800 for 18 weeks).

There is also a maximum of ten free agent players per club who have earned no more than two accrued seasons (low pay rookies).

Last year the minimum rookie salary was $750,000.

So $750,000 minus $370,800 equals $379,200.
Multiply times 18 equals $6,825,600.
More savings if you factor in a lower ($289,800) number.

The billionaire owners don't need an extra $6 million, but they surely will grab it if they can.

There is only one problem with your thought process, JMT. The 6.8M goes against a team's salary cap. Not what the Owner pockets.
If teams don't meet the Salary Cap Floor as they call it, in terms of spending, then the team is forced to pay out the difference. They're required to figure out the difference and divide it, divide it evenly between the players who were on the roster during that time frame and send players a check.

WOW! An NFL rule change that actually makes sense. Who'd have thunk

It's a great change, but I wish it had been instituted a decade ago when our roster was deep, and we had to cut some players who worked out elsewhere.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back