PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In history of the franchise, which Patriots player has had the best rookie season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: In history of the franchise,Which Patriots player has had the best rookie season

John Stephens! The best rookie ever.
He never recovered from that hit.

I agree. Stephens was the ONLY guy worth $20 on our offense...and took us to within 1 game of the playoffs.

I think it was Mike Haynes hands down. He had 8 interceptions and had the first punt returns for TD in Patriots history(with two) and was a big reason for turn around the Pats had in 1976.

Since I've been watching The Patriots,I think Jim Plunkett had the best rookie season.I know that this won't be a popular pick but You had to be there to know what kind of expectations were on Jim Plunkett's shoulders.The Patriots had just moved to Foxboro and they had 62000 tickets to sell.The based there entire marketing program around Jim Plunkett and other than Jim Nance and Carl Garrett,the Patriots Offense had little else.Randy Vataha came on board late in the Preseason and the Patriots traded for Bob Windsor just before the season and somehow Jim got this team to 8-8 which was no small accomplishment.Steve Kiner was a star on defense and He lived in a bus in the parking lot.
Jim gave the franchise hope for the first time an a long time.He took a beating but kept on throwing and a win in Baltimore at the end of the season was his signature win that season. Plunkett to Vataha ,The Stanford Connection kept Us trucking to Foxboro ! Jim lifted the Patriots from Putrid to decent,not bad for a rookie Quarterback.

Last edited:
Since I've been watching The Patriots,I think Jim Plunkett had the best rookie season.I know that this won't be a popular pick but You had to be there to know what kind of expectations were on Jim Plunkett's shoulders.The Patriots had just moved to Foxboro and they had 62000 tickets to sell.The based there entire marketing program around Jim Plunkett and other than Jim Nance and Carl Garrett,the Patriots Offense had little else.Randy Vataha came on board late in the Preseason and the Patriots traded for Bob Windsor just before the season and somehow Jim got this team to 8-8 which was no small accomplishment.Steve Kiner was a star on defense and He lived in a bus in the parking lot.
Jim gave the franchise hope for the first time an a long time.He took a beating but kept on throwing and a win in Baltimore at the end of the season was his signature win that season. Plunkett to Vataha ,The Stanford Connection kept Us trucking to Foxboro ! Jim lifted the Patriots from Putrid to decent,not bad for a rookie Quarterback.

Plunkett was the reason I became a Pats Fan in the first place. I watched him play in college, and followed him when the Pats drafted him. When he left for SF & Oakland, I almost stopped watching. memories..... sigh :)

Here is more on JP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Plunkett

Last edited:
I was going to say Glenn until I was reminded of C. Martin.

Tough call to pick just one, but Mike Haynes, Jim Plunkett, Curtis Martin all come to mind. Randy Vataha too, just because he was such a longshot. Sad to say, but Kenneth Sims, Adrian Klemm and Steve Corbett did not make the final cut for this list.

Re: In history of the franchise,Which Patriots player has had the best rookie season

Francis...
In 14 games he had 35 catches , 18.2 yds/rec, and could block like a mofo.

Bruce Armstrong - Stanley Morgan - Robert Edwards are 3 of the Patriots rookies that come to mind as players which stood out and played in thier first season and made an impact - Who is your opinion had the best Patriots rookie season ever?

I bring this up because although its only 2 weeks in his career,Mayo has played every down on defense and its a rare unusual thing in a BB led team which kinds of holds back on rookies playing them sparingly until they are a year into the system unless they show big promise from the get-go which Mayo apparently has lots of.

If he continues to be on the leading end of team tackles on the team and adds a few sacks to boot,its definately possible he could have a full season impact like Patrick Willis was last year and a DROTY candidate and even could go down as best Patriots rookie ever but with only 2 weeks I think we don't know what we have with Jerod but I like what I see thus far.

Back to the original subject,I say Bruce Armstrong was the best rookie ever to play in a Patriots uniform.

i don't care what any one says. Brady was essentially a rookie in 2001. He played only 3 downs in 2000 - which is hardly anything. But of course the NFL with their idiotic definitions classify you as a rookie if you play a single down. I don't think this is true in other leagues.

Last edited:
Not the best but worth a mention was RB Carl Garrett. He was the AFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year (beating O J) in 1969 averaging an impressive 5 yards a carry. Garrett was a good back on some bad Patriot teams.

Overall, have to go with Mike Haynes.

Curtis Martin, anyone? 1487 rushing yards and 14 rushing TD's with a 4.0 avg. Plus, he had 30 receptions for 261 yards and a TD.

There ya go.
First one that came to my mind.

Haynes had a tremendous rookie season. Great corner, eight INT's, plus a couple PR TD's, Pro Bowl as a rookie. Probably the best rookie season in Pats history.

Bingo, we have bingo. Mike Haynes had the best rookie seasons ever. All-Pro as a rookie, amazing. And was a good return man. Great rookie season, and continued on to the Hall of Fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes