PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Imagine if it were the Pats Exploiting this Loophole...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good play, but that was pretty risky… Close to letting the Lions get possession

It would be interesting to take a situation like this and insert the Patriots name just to see how people would comment. Then turn around and insert the real football team name. Just to point out the hypocrisy on fans and call them on their mis-found beliefs.

It's definitely not what the rules intended, but any fix I can think of would just introduce new potential corners to exploit.

What would be the problem in just deleting the rule?

This rule could come back to bite the Pats because of their current strategy of kicking to the side of the field near the goal line.

babycrying.gif~c200

good.....keep pointing them out.....I am sure someone is listening
and you keep whining about what people post....I am sure someone is listening

What would be the problem in just deleting the rule?

This rule could come back to bite the Pats because of their current strategy of kicking to the side of the field near the goal line.
the KO return would be virtually eliminated because teams would try to kick the ball so it goes out of bounds right before the goal line (KO version of a coffin corner punt). average starting positions for the offense following KO would probably be around 10-yard line or less.

I'm virtually sure that Wes Welker did exploit this rule multiple times, both as a Dolphin and as a Patriot.

Didn't Bethel Johnson do this once here, as well?

We were first to do this a long time ago. I am going to look for it. It believe it was during 2004 season by Brown.
You know what, I think it was in the Super Bowl vs the Panthers. Checking game out now.

Last edited:
and you keep whining about what people post....I am sure someone is listening

I don't care who's listening........I'm just responding to the babies.......who actually do listen

It's definitely not what the rules intended, but any fix I can think of would just introduce new potential corners to exploit.

In the end, every rule has its edge cases, and this one by its nature won't come up too often. I don't mind there being opportunities for teams and players with great situational awareness to take advantage of.

"If a receiving team player touches the ball while the player is OOB, the ball is marked at the spot of the touch and then a 10 yard illegal touching penalty will be enforced".

Or perhaps even simpler, treat it exactly the same as if he had gone out, came back in, and was the first person to touch it.

NEP rarely gets kick-offs. Once a game usually!

don't see how ball is ruled out of bounds when it isn't..stupid NFL rule. The receiving team should be the one penalized for touching ball after being out of bounds.

don't see how ball is ruled out of bounds when it isn't..stupid NFL rule. The receiving team should be the one penalized for touching ball after being out of bounds.

That "stupid NFL rule" saved a critical game for NE back in 2001 when the unconscious Patten, with his head OOB, had his fumbled ball touch his in-bounds feet right before BUF scooped it up.

And that "stupid NFL rule" is pretty much the rule in all sports that have OOB. Any object touching OOB becomes OOB in its entirety and "conducts" the OOB-ness to whatever the object touches.

Nothing wrong for them doing it, but the rules should probably be fixed. Not really intended that way.

Another ****ty rule that should be fixed is the fumble out of the end zone is considered a touchback.

Saw it yesterday during the KC - Jets game.

The KC RB lost control of the ball just before he crossed the end zone and the ball became Jets ball on the twenty.

Another ****ty rule that should be fixed is the fumble out of the end zone is considered a touchback.

Saw it yesterday during the KC - Jets game.

The KC RB lost control of the ball just before he crossed the end zone and the ball became Jets ball on the twenty.
Just read that in one of those links. Couldn't figure it out and still can't. Did the ball cross the pylons before fumbling?

Just read that in one of those links. Couldn't figure it out and still can't. Did the ball cross the pylons before fumbling?

He lost control prior to crossing the pylons.

I'm virtually sure that Wes Welker did exploit this rule multiple times, both as a Dolphin and as a Patriot.
He did it as a Dolphin. I don't believe he did it as a Pat.

As others have mentioned. The Patriots have definitely done this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft