PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm Having Trouble Fitting In 5 RB's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't be shocked if they don't draft a RB until round 6 and it's one of the Navy guys.

Probably Keenan Reynolds......we all know how BB loves versatility ! :)

When you've done this roster forecasting in past years, how has the situation been different?
agreed

We make this choice almost every year. This year, most of think that we will keep a FB (Develin), making it less likely that we keep 5 RB or 5 WR.

Posters seem to keep saying that we NEED 5 WR's, 5 RB's and a FB. I don't think that we can have all of this.

agreed

We make this choice almost every year. This year, most of think that we will keep a FB (Develin), making it less likely that we keep 5 RB or 5 WR.

Posters seem to keep saying that we NEED 5 WR's, 5 RB's and a FB. I don't think that we can have all of this.

I'm in the camp that believes we only need 4 WRs because of how the tight ends and running backs will provide a big receiving presence to the team (Gronk/Bennett/Lewis/White). With those guys Edelman/Hogan/Amendola/(take your pick of Keyshawn or Nate) should be just fine.

agreed

Thanks. (I was actually just asking the question, not making a statement.)

freebies2deals.kyjelly.jpg

I'm in the camp that believes we only need 4 WRs because of how the tight ends and running backs will provide a big receiving presence to the team (Gronk/Bennett/Lewis/White). With those guys Edelman/Hogan/Amendola/(take your pick of Keyshawn or Nate) should be just fine.

I agree to an extent however, we can all agree Je11 and Dola are good to miss a few games (just going with history) and it's possible that it could happen at the same time (this is not factoring in Lewis and Gronk injury concerns .

I'd really hate to have to go into any game with Hogan and Nate Washington/Martin as our only WR receiving options. I'm half way expecting Boldin to sign on late + a draft pick.

It's 2013 and he only had 101 carries, but Donald Brown led the league in yards after contact that year. The others in the top 5 that year were Rashard Jennings, Blount, Peterson and Ivory. Only five RBs had a higher broken tackle rate that year, three of whom were Peterson, McCoy and Lynch.

Throw in his receiving and blocking ability and maybe he'll end up a nice fit for this offense.

Ever the optimist.

I want 5 in the backfield.

QB-2 (Brady/Grap)
RB/FB-5 (2nd rd pick, Lewis, Blount, Develin, Bolden)
WR-5 (Jules, Hogan, DA, Martin, 4thrd pick)
TE-3 (Gronk, Bennett, Williams (backup OT)
OL- 9 (Solder, Vollmer, Stork, Shaq, Cooper, Waddle, Andrews, Cannon, pick)
total:24

DT-5 (Brown, Pot Roast, Branch, Jones, 4nd rounder)
DE/OLB-6 (Nink, Sheard, Long, Flowers, Geneo, 2nd rounder)
ILB-3 (Collins, Shea, 3rd rounder)
OLB-2 (High, 3nd rounder)
S-6 (DMC, Chung, Harmon, Ebner, Richards, Slater)
CB-5 (Malcolm, Ryan, Roberts, Coleman, All-Pro UFA in the waiting,)
total:27

K-1
P-1
LS-1
Total:3

Grand total: 53

I agree to an extent however, we can all agree Je11 and Dola are good to miss a few games (just going with history) and it's possible that it could happen at the same time (this is not factoring in Lewis and Gronk injury concerns .

I'd really hate to have to go into any game with Hogan and Nate Washington/Martin as our only WR receiving options. I'm half way expecting Boldin to sign on late + a draft pick.

That's a fair point with four of those receiving options I just mentioned (Edelman, Amendola, Gronk, and Lewis) all being injury concerns. Perhaps we do need another receiver instead of a 5th RB.

I like Develin but don't see him sticking if they are going to a true 2 TE offense. It seems like that's the choice they are making to me, either go 2TE oR use a FB, and by adding Bennett and Harbor they have decided to go to the 2 TE offense. So for me it's

Draft choice first down back

Dion Lewis (3rd down back plus)

Legarrette Blount (power back)

Brandon Bolden (ST)

It can be done. Lets assume 25 offensive players

QB - 2 Brady Garo
TE - 3 Gronk Bennett Harper
WR - 5 Edelman Hogan Martin Washington Slater(really STs)
OT - 4 Solder Vollmer Waddle draftpick*
OG - 3 Mason Jackson Cooper
C - 2 Stork Andrews
RB - 5 Lewis White Brown Blount Bolden (Also i am not sold on keeping either Brown or Blount and a draft pick could be welcome.)
FB - 1 Develin

9 OL men is enough and Stork can play other spots so it is fine to carry only 3 Guards.

Kline, Amendola and Cannon are notable cuts.

The more i think about it the more i don't see a reason to keep Amendola. They have committed to Hogan and Edelman is the start. They are different but those 3 are a bit to similar to keep all 3. Plus they will need the money.

It can be done. Lets assume 25 offensive players

QB - 2 Brady Garo
TE - 3 Gronk Bennett Harper
WR - 5 Edelman Hogan Martin Washington Slater(really STs)
OT - 4 Solder Vollmer Waddle draftpick*
OG - 3 Mason Jackson Cooper
C - 2 Stork Andrews
RB - 5 Lewis White Brown Blount Bolden (Also i am not sold on keeping either Brown or Blount and a draft pick could be welcome.)
FB - 1 Develin

9 OL men is enough and Stork can play other spots so it is fine to carry only 3 Guards.

Kline, Amendola and Cannon are notable cuts.

The more i think about it the more i don't see a reason to keep Amendola. They have committed to Hogan and Edelman is the start. They are different but those 3 are a bit to similar to keep all 3. Plus they will need the money.

Getting rid of Amendola to keep Develin, Harbor, White is foolish. The likelihood of Edelman making it through a season healthy is as low as it gets and Amendola is the only receiver who can replicate what he does.

Getting rid of Amendola to keep Develin, Harbor, White is foolish. The likelihood of Edelman making it through a season healthy is as low as it gets and Amendola is the only receiver who can replicate what he does.

I would love to keep Amendola too but i think money is starting to be a conern here. They need to eat Easley's contract and that adds a pretty decent hit to the cap. They need to make decisions somewhere and i don't Cannon by himself would be enough at this point. If money was not an issue I would keep Amendola but it is an issue and you have invested a lot of money in Hogan and Edelman who are fairly close in skill set to Amendola so i think he could be a bit of a surprise cut.

I would love to keep Amendola too but i think money is starting to be a conern here. They need to eat Easley's contract and that adds a pretty decent hit to the cap. They need to make decisions somewhere and i don't Cannon by himself would be enough at this point. If money was not an issue I would keep Amendola but it is an issue and you have invested a lot of money in Hogan and Edelman who are fairly close in skill set to Amendola so i think he could be a bit of a surprise cut.

Money will be a factor next off-season it is no factor now. The focus of the Patriots has to be in fielding the strongest possible team for 2016, weakening it to create cap space next season makes no sense, especially when signing Hightower will save cap space for 2016. Amendola is a really important player to this team and it makes no sense to take away Brady's weapons to save a million bucks, and that's all that would be saved after replacing him. Just as Belichick focuses solely on the next game their only focus now is how to win it all in 2016 and deliberately weakening the team doesn't accomplish that. If they can't redo his deal then release him after 2016 when the savings will matter, right now they don't.

Is Bolden still under contract? He is pretty much a lock for me, unless BB drafts a RB who also plays special teams.

When's the last time this team deliberately rolled with just 4 WRs?

When's the last time this team deliberately rolled with just 4 WRs?

Assuming we are not including pure special teamers like Matthew Slater, I'm pretty sure the Pats had only 4 WRs going into the 2012 and 2006 seasons.

2012 was the most surprising considering all the talent they let go in camp......Branch, Stallworth, Gaffney

Blount, Lewis, White, Bolden, Devlin. Stash a RB on the practice squad either through draft or one that is already practice squad eligible.

That's the crew we had last year and it wasn't sufficient. Obviously losing Blount and Lewis to injury was pretty devastating.

I think it's time to draft the next good Pats' RB. They should be able to find one in the 3rd or 4th round.

Assuming we are not including pure special teamers like Matthew Slater, I'm pretty sure the Pats had only 4 WRs going into the 2012 and 2006 seasons.

2012 was the most surprising considering all the talent they let go in camp......Branch, Stallworth, Gaffney

Yup, and that's why my train of thought is that...

If they view Bennett as a 'Hernandez' substitute, we might see 4 WRs, and if they view the Gronk/Bennett/Harbor as what they were going for with Graham/Watson/Thomas, we might see 4 WRs, but if they aren't looking at the TEs like that, I have to think that they're going to go with 5WRs, especially given the injury histories of Gronk, Edelman and Amendola.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case