PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm Having Trouble Fitting In 5 RB's

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's tough math and with Dion being a bit of an unknown for next season plus Blount being what he is, they really need to draft or get another guy.

When's the last time this team deliberately rolled with just 4 WRs?
for the first half of 2015, we had
Edelman, DA, Dobson and Harper
LaFell was on PUP.
============
I think that Edelman, Hogan, DA, Martin(or Washington) with Harper on the PS is at least as strong.
I agree that we might carry a developmental draftee in addition to the above.

for the first half of 2015, we had
Edelman, DA, Dobson and Harper
LaFell was on PUP.

That was still a 5WR team, though. I think the 2012 season is the most recent to go with 4WRs as the actual plan.

I think that Edelman, Hogan, DA, Martin(or Washington) with Harper on the PS is at least as strong.
I agree that we might carry a developmental draftee in addition to the above.

I'm sure that a BB team with just 4 WRs would have WRs on the P.S.. I just think that, given what's already on the 'roster'

Edelman
Amendola
Hogan
Washington
Martin
The stiffs

this team going with just 4 WRs will probably say more about the plans for the TE position than about the WRs (unless Washington just absolutely craps out).

That was still a 5WR team, though. I think the 2012 season is the most recent to go with 4WRs as the actual plan.

Nonsense. If LaFell was ready for preseason and for the season, it is very u unlikely that Harper would have been on the 53. There is NO reason to believe that the PLAN wasn't for 4, with Harper on the PS, which COULD happen again.

I'm sure that a BB team with just 4 WRs would have WRs on the P.S.. I just think that, given what's already on the 'roster'

Edelman
Amendola
Hogan
Washington
Martin
The stiffs

this team going with just 4 WRs will probably say more about the plans for the TE position than about the WRs (unless Washington just absolutely craps out).

Now your waffling.

We have two TE's capable of being top receivers. Our 3rd TE will likely be good enough to be the 4th or 5th target on the field.

In any case, if Washington and Martin both are too good to cut, then we'll have 5.

Nonsense. If LaFell was ready for preseason and for the season, it is very u unlikely that Harper would have been on the 53. There is NO reason to believe that the PLAN wasn't for 4, with Harper on the PS, which COULD happen again.

Come on.

They traded for Keshawn Martin after the very first week of the season....

Now your waffling.

We have two TE's capable of being top receivers. Our 3rd TE will likely be good enough to be the 4th or 5th target on the field.

In any case, if Washington and Martin both are too good to cut, then we'll have 5.

I'm not waffling at all. You must have missed the following post:

Yup, and that's why my train of thought is that...

If they view Bennett as a 'Hernandez' substitute, we might see 4 WRs, and if they view the Gronk/Bennett/Harbor as what they were going for with Graham/Watson/Thomas, we might see 4 WRs, but if they aren't looking at the TEs like that, I have to think that they're going to go with 5WRs, especially given the injury histories of Gronk, Edelman and Amendola.

I'm not waffling at all. You must have missed the following post:
Do you think that the 2015 plan was for 5 WR's including Harper? Or was harper just a placeholder until LaFell was healthy?

I want 5 in the backfield.

QB-2 (Brady/Grap)
RB/FB-5 (2nd rd pick, Lewis, Blount, Develin, Bolden)
WR-5 (Jules, Hogan, DA, Martin, 4thrd pick)
TE-3 (Gronk, Bennett, Williams (backup OT)
OL- 9 (Solder, Vollmer, Stork, Shaq, Cooper, Waddle, Andrews, Cannon, pick)
total:24

DT-5 (Brown, Pot Roast, Branch, Jones, 4nd rounder)
DE/OLB-6 (Nink, Sheard, Long, Flowers, Geneo, 2nd rounder)
ILB-3 (Collins, Shea, 3rd rounder)
OLB-2 (High, 3nd rounder)
S-6 (DMC, Chung, Harmon, Ebner, Richards, Slater)
CB-5 (Malcolm, Ryan, Roberts, Coleman, All-Pro UFA in the waiting,)
total:27

K-1
P-1
LS-1
Total:3

Grand total: 53

I want 5 in the backfield as well, but it's hard not to notice the fact that you have neither Brown nor White in your projection. I'd have to think that one of them will make it, unless we somehow secure a new 3rd down back who can actually manage to run the ball.

When you add in guys like Bolden and/or Devlin, it's hard for me not to assume 5 running backs.

Blount
Lewis
One of Brown/White
One of Bolden/Devlin
New draft pick

I'm not even including the possibility of guys like Gaffney or a 2nd draft choice.

I want 5 in the backfield as well, but it's hard not to notice the fact that you have neither Brown nor White in your projection. I'd have to think that one of them will make it, unless we somehow secure a new 3rd down back who can actually manage to run the ball.

If the draft a stud in Rd 2 then Brown and White are gone and/or maybe Bolden which is why I bolded him.

I still think that Develin was a result of their inability to find a true #2 TE to replace The Murderer, and as much as I like Develin as a player I think that they will have to choose between running a 2TE offense and running a traditional fullback/RB offense. Given that they were able to get a big time #2 TE in Bennett and added Harbor with a signing bonus that indicates he will be staying I think it's safe to say they will be a two TE dominant offense and barring injury Develin will be difficult to keep.

I still think that Develin was a result of their inability to find a true #2 TE to replace The Murderer, and as much as I like Develin as a player I think that they will have to choose between running a 2TE offense and running a traditional fullback/RB offense. Given that they were able to get a big time #2 TE in Bennett and added Harbor with a signing bonus that indicates he will be staying I think it's safe to say they will be a two TE dominant offense and barring injury Develin will be difficult to keep.
Agree except if I recall Brady was very bummed out by the Develin injury and said he was a big part of the team.
How long will they cast out Bradys favs?

I agree. I think this year it might be Develin vs Clay Harbor

Agree except if I recall Brady was very bummed out by the Develin injury and said he was a big part of the team.

I'm not surprised Brady likes and respects him but it's about what type of offense they are going to run and constructing the roster to run it. If the #2 TE was A. J. Derby then Develin would probably be a lock but if they are going to focus on running a 2TE offense/fast break no huddle offense with Gronk and Bennett on the field for most of the snaps then Develin becomes a bit player and a luxury the offense can't afford to keep. You don't want to have to change your offense if Gronk or Bennett get banged up so keeping depth at TE will be a priority and I'm guessing it will come down to that or a FB

I think that if you asked Brady whether he would rather run a traditional FB/RB offense or a fast break two TE offense he would go with the two TE offense every time. With Gronk and Bennett on the field together Brady will be able to dictate to defense's based on what package they have on the field, and he can go no huddle and run them ragged when he has the matchup he wants, and that will be most of the time. If he has Gronk and Bennett at TE with Edelman and Amendola at WR with Dion Lewis at RB they can literally do anything they want offensively. Imo the addition of Bennett is going to be similar to the addition of Randy Moss in terms of the impact on the offense and difficulty of defense's matching up. And while Moss was obviously more dynamic than Bennett I would argue that this Two TE offense will be even more difficult to defend.

My concern is if we are going to move primarily to that offense we need to find another capable tight end in case of injury and limit gronks and Bennets reps.
Harbor may be the man or maybe Derby who nobody seems to be talking about.
However the fact we are looking at tight ends who aren't slated to drop lower than the third tells me we may shock and go Tightend early.

However I would love to see Derby take the next step and do his best Eifert impersonation.

My concern is if we are going to move primarily to that offense we need to find another capable tight end in case of injury and limit gronks and Bennets reps.
Harbor may be the man or maybe Derby who nobody seems to be talking about.
However the fact we are looking at tight ends who aren't slated to drop lower than the third tells me we may shock and go Tightend early.

However I would love to see Derby take the next step and do his best Eifert impersonation.

Anyone would love to have their third or fourth TE be as good as a number 1 but it's not realistic. If Derby and/or Harbor stick they will be bit players unless there is a significant injury, but you still have to keep at least one and that's where the decision between TE and FB comes in.

When you add in guys like Bolden and/or Devlin, it's hard for me not to assume 5 running backs.

Blount
Lewis
One of Brown/White
One of Bolden/Devlin
New draft pick

I'm not even including the possibility of guys like Gaffney or a 2nd draft choice.

You have 5 RB/FB rather than 5 RB.

My position is that the below is one too many. As you have found, it is difficult to have only 5 RB/FB.
2 QB
5 RB
5WR
1 FB

Well, thankfully fans don't sit down and put the rosters of their team together!

I have absolute trust in Belichick.

I don't have to put a draft together in my head nor do I consider free agents or trades because that would be a waste of my time.

We'll be in the SB this year though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back