PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If You'd been Visited by Patsfans of the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent post Brownfan80, I am a new poster so I just wanted to start posting.

Do you know the babes from the Edinburgh football team?

Tell 'em you're a Tom Brady fan and I think you're in.

Know what I mean? wink, wink, nudge, nudge:D

Don't doubt BrownFan80. I got this in my PMs this afternoon. :eek:

futurepm.jpg

Beautiful!!!

Great post BrownFan. A true classic.

I might quibble with some of what you say, but some fans saw it all that way, no doubt. Myself, I can't believe we're able to survive the LB situation, but I'm happy to be wrong. Other moves, I see as necessary friction to improve.

One thing I must say, in all honesty, is I was not down except for a moment after the Denver loss.

Last year was excrutiating with the loss of coaches, BB's father dying and the most unbelievable string of injuries I have ever seen on both sides of the ball.

That team had no business in the playoffs, even in that weak division. To beat a tough young team like Jacksonville was a hell of an effort.

By the time they got to Denver, they looked like survivors from 20 years of war. They were spent, physically and emotionally. They gave it every last ounce of effort, but there was nothing left in the tank, IMO.

I actually got up and applauded their effort, as a normal team wouldn't have finished over .500.

I knew they would get healthy and find some new players.

The one thing you can't get over the off season is a heart transplant and isn't that what most of the pretenders are lacking?

I posted this in a thread where it really didn't belong, so I figured I'd throw it up as it's own thread. This is a hypothetical that (hopefully) can help put things back in perspective for the Panic Button folks.

---

Imagine: Right after the loss to Denver in the playoffs last season when you were at your most negative, wondering what happened to Tom Terrific and our bunch of blue collar no mistake players and the magic that had carried us through post-seasons past, some one approaches you. They tell you they've seen the future of the Patriots offseason.

They tell you that it only gets worse after the Denver loss. They tell you that Givens leaves for the money. They tell you that Willie does the same. They tell you that Adam Vinatieri leaves for a little more money and goes to the hated Colts.

At this point you're shocked.

They tell you that both Dwight and Davis leave to rival teams and that once promising Bethel Johnson is traded for a bust DT.

They tell you Branch holds out and creates an enormous distraction that goes sour when the Patriots won't pay him enough to make him forget the 5 year deal he was 'forced' to sign. They tell you that Branch is traded to Seattle for a future 1st rounder, which sounds good until you realize that Brady now has only Troy Brown at his disposal.

They tell you that Brady's trusted WRs are replaced with a 2nd round rookie, a scrap-heap reject, a WR traded in for a 5th rounder, and a street free agent.

They tell you that Rodney Harrison makes it back from his knee injury, but then breaks his shoulder at the midway point.

They tell you that Junior Seau retires, and then unretires to join the Patriots. They tell you that Seau, in all his age, starts for the Patriots at ILB.

They tell you that your depth at CB consists of Ellis Hobbs, Asante Samuel and Chad Scott after Randall Gay is put on IR and Poteat Bongos is dropped and grabbed up by the hated Jets.

They tell you that Tom Brady through half a season posts his lowest passer rating of his career and lowest completion percentage. They tell you that the Patriots start three different players at right tackle depending on the week. They tell you that Billy Yates starts a couple games at Guard.

They tell you that both of your primary ST/backup safeties are lost to IR and that your primary depth at ILB suffers the same fate. They tell you that Troy Brown is playing in the secondary again.

They tell you that the Patriots draft a runningback in the first round even though Manny Lawson is still on the board and have the rookie split carries with Corey Dillon evenly. You remember Corey's days with Rudi Johnson and cringe.

They tell you that the Patriots draft another first day TE. You remember that Graham and Watson are already on the roster and cringe.

They tell you that Troy Brown is the third QB on the roster. You laugh at the mental image of Troy under center.

They tell you that only Troy Brown and the scrap-heap reject WR have a full training camp with Brady. They tell you that the 5th round trade WR and the 2nd round pick Rookie WR both have hamstring issues and miss all but a collective two weeks of TC. They tell you that Ben Watson is the leading reciever on the team.

They tell you that almost the entire media is picking the Dolphins to win the East after they acquire Dante Culpepper.

Having listened to all that, you actually nod. 'We've lost too many players', you think to yourself, 'We're thin in the secondary, we've got ZERO dependable WRs besides 75 year old Troy Brown, and we have no depth at LB.. And Seau is starting??'.. You think to yourself, 'And Corey is splitting time with a rookie?? He must be killing the locker room with his anger, he must have become a cancer like in Cincy. A first round RB?? With a star LB still on the board??' and 'Our OL is banged up again? A rookie starting at RT and a first year player stepping in at G?' and 'Troy Brown at CB -AGAIN-?'

You take a deep breath and imagine how hard the season must have gone for your Patriots. It makes you sort of sad, being that they just lost in the playoffs for the first time in Brady's career.

The visitor from the Future smiles and then tells you the Patriots are actually 6-2 at the midway point and the nearest team in the division is 4-4.

Are you surpised?

Looking back at all that's happened, I would be.

I am.

great, great post !

Great post BrownFan. A true classic.

I might quibble with some of what you say, but some fans saw it all that way, no doubt. Myself, I can't believe we're able to survive the LB situation, but I'm happy to be wrong. Other moves, I see as necessary friction to improve.

One thing I must say, in all honesty, is I was not down except for a moment after the Denver loss.

Last year was excrutiating with the loss of coaches, BB's father dying and the most unbelievable string of injuries I have ever seen on both sides of the ball.

That team had no business in the playoffs, even in that weak division. To beat a tough young team like Jacksonville was a hell of an effort.

By the time they got to Denver, they looked like survivors from 20 years of war. They were spent, physically and emotionally. They gave it every last ounce of effort, but there was nothing left in the tank, IMO.

I actually got up and applauded their effort, as a normal team wouldn't have finished over .500.

I knew they would get healthy and find some new players.

The one thing you can't get over the off season is a heart transplant and isn't that what most of the pretenders are lacking?

I think your insight to last seasons struggles are very enlightening. I never really put all of that together myself. I think it makes sense and really illuminates what an accomplishment last season was in the face of adversity. It still sucked to get whomped by Denver and the refs in the playoffs, but I have much more appreciation for the 2005 season after reading your thoughts.

I posted this in a thread where it really didn't belong, so I figured I'd throw it up as it's own thread. This is a hypothetical that (hopefully) can help put things back in perspective for the Panic Button folks.

---

Imagine: Right after the loss to Denver in the playoffs last season when you were at your most negative, wondering what happened to Tom Terrific and our bunch of blue collar no mistake players and the magic that had carried us through post-seasons past, some one approaches you. They tell you they've seen the future of the Patriots offseason.

They tell you that it only gets worse after the Denver loss. They tell you that Givens leaves for the money. They tell you that Willie does the same. They tell you that Adam Vinatieri leaves for a little more money and goes to the hated Colts.

At this point you're shocked.

They tell you that both Dwight and Davis leave to rival teams and that once promising Bethel Johnson is traded for a bust DT.

They tell you Branch holds out and creates an enormous distraction that goes sour when the Patriots won't pay him enough to make him forget the 5 year deal he was 'forced' to sign. They tell you that Branch is traded to Seattle for a future 1st rounder, which sounds good until you realize that Brady now has only Troy Brown at his disposal.

They tell you that Brady's trusted WRs are replaced with a 2nd round rookie, a scrap-heap reject, a WR traded in for a 5th rounder, and a street free agent.

They tell you that Rodney Harrison makes it back from his knee injury, but then breaks his shoulder at the midway point.

They tell you that Junior Seau retires, and then unretires to join the Patriots. They tell you that Seau, in all his age, starts for the Patriots at ILB.

They tell you that your depth at CB consists of Ellis Hobbs, Asante Samuel and Chad Scott after Randall Gay is put on IR and Poteat Bongos is dropped and grabbed up by the hated Jets.

They tell you that Tom Brady through half a season posts his lowest passer rating of his career and lowest completion percentage. They tell you that the Patriots start three different players at right tackle depending on the week. They tell you that Billy Yates starts a couple games at Guard.

They tell you that both of your primary ST/backup safeties are lost to IR and that your primary depth at ILB suffers the same fate. They tell you that Troy Brown is playing in the secondary again.

They tell you that the Patriots draft a runningback in the first round even though Manny Lawson is still on the board and have the rookie split carries with Corey Dillon evenly. You remember Corey's days with Rudi Johnson and cringe.

They tell you that the Patriots draft another first day TE. You remember that Graham and Watson are already on the roster and cringe.

They tell you that Troy Brown is the third QB on the roster. You laugh at the mental image of Troy under center.

They tell you that only Troy Brown and the scrap-heap reject WR have a full training camp with Brady. They tell you that the 5th round trade WR and the 2nd round pick Rookie WR both have hamstring issues and miss all but a collective two weeks of TC. They tell you that Ben Watson is the leading reciever on the team.

They tell you that almost the entire media is picking the Dolphins to win the East after they acquire Dante Culpepper.

Having listened to all that, you actually nod. 'We've lost too many players', you think to yourself, 'We're thin in the secondary, we've got ZERO dependable WRs besides 75 year old Troy Brown, and we have no depth at LB.. And Seau is starting??'.. You think to yourself, 'And Corey is splitting time with a rookie?? He must be killing the locker room with his anger, he must have become a cancer like in Cincy. A first round RB?? With a star LB still on the board??' and 'Our OL is banged up again? A rookie starting at RT and a first year player stepping in at G?' and 'Troy Brown at CB -AGAIN-?'

You take a deep breath and imagine how hard the season must have gone for your Patriots. It makes you sort of sad, being that they just lost in the playoffs for the first time in Brady's career.

The visitor from the Future smiles and then tells you the Patriots are actually 6-2 at the midway point and the nearest team in the division is 4-4.

Are you surpised?

Looking back at all that's happened, I would be.

I am.

Wow!
With that recitation, I nominate Bill Belichick for Coach of the Year; and Tom Brady for MVP !

(And for the first tiem I'm willing to cut a little slack to the ignorant "Chicken Littles", too.):eek:

I'd be pretty happy to hear that we were 9-3 from the Patsfan of the future.

However if I also heard from the Patsfan of the future after our 5 turnover game against Denver that we continue to demonstrate that same tendency to turnover the ball, game after game, I'd be very very worried about our chances going into the playoffs.

So all things considered, I'd take very little solace in knowing that we're poised to have a great regular season record, but a post-season record that is very disappointing.

Does that about sum up where we are?

Is there anyone on this board who just wants to go 13-3 in the regular season? Is there anyone here who thinks we can continue to turn the ball over like we have been and do any real damage in the playoffs?

I'm all for looking at the glass as half full, but given those turnovers, if one thinks this team can play like it has been and win the Super Bowl you're drinking out of the hose. ;)

Last edited:
Considering I wrote this on 8/11/06, when much of that had already transpired:

I can't say that I am surprised at either NE's success or their large AFCE lead. ;)

That said, I think you did a fabulous job of helping us shift our focus from the minor negative points to the overall positive position this team is in. I stil am not convinced that NE isn't the best team in the league. Yes, it perturbs me that NE has looked discombobulated during their two major tests, but for now I can explain each one away. Another and I will have to admit that NE might be a very good, but not great team.

Neither am I really. My pre-season prognostication for the AFCE was spot on, even if others were pre-mature, ( like a Colts' collapse). I predicted the Pats by a margin of several games and the rest of the AFCE bunched right around .500.
  • I recognized that Miami was way over rated and the Achilles heel was the O-line, despite Tampax's protestations.
  • The Jets were much better than their 2005 season when they lost both the starting QB and his backup. Think what the Pats record would be if they were playing not Brady or Cassel but some street scrub like
    Todd Mortenson.
  • The Bills have a Defense, not deep but a Defense nonetheless. They have some talented Skill players outside the QB position. They needed to have Losman start to mature in his third year.:singing:

Neither am I really. My pre-season prognostication for the AFCE was spot on, even if others were pre-mature, ( like a Colts' collapse). I predicted the Pats by a margin of several games and the rest of the AFCE bunched right around .500.
  • I recognized that Miami was way over rated and the Achilles heel was the O-line, despite Tampax's protestations.
  • The Jets were much better than their 2005 season when they lost both the starting QB and his backup. Think what the Pats record would be if they were playing not Brady or Cassel but some street scrub like
    Todd Mortenson.
  • The Bills have a Defense, not deep but a Defense nonetheless. They have some talented Skill players outside the QB position. They needed to have Losman start to mature in his third year.:singing:

The bottom line is that even if the Pats aren't an elite team, in the AFC East that's still good enough for a good record and an entry into the playoffs.

The turnovers however remain a huge issue in the post season - just like they were in Denver

I'm still waiting for the perfect Pats season free from major injuries. A low drama season of winning and collecting another superbowl trophy.

I'm still waiting for the perfect Pats season free from major injuries. A low drama season of winning and collecting another superbowl trophy.

The magic eightball of the future says: Don't hold your breath.

There was a comment that this edition of the Patriots is "...not as tight..." as the earlier Super Bowl clubs. I agree, but those were old mature clubs full of end of career players playing for the Last Hurrah.

This club is y-o-u-n-g. If Dillon is no longer a starter, there is NOT A SINGLE starter on offense who has even reached thirty; yet we have a deep O line, great TEs, a HOF QB, a pair of franchise RBs,. and five WRs any or all of whom are at least #2 types, even if no one is a sure #1. It has a record setting third down back and near league leaders at KO and PR. It is scoring at a rate to make it a leaguer power on Offense.

And I haven't even spoken of the balanced top 5 Defense, full of rising stars as well as a leaven of old pros. I was worried after 3 - 4 games that the D seemed to have lost the ability to force turnovers, usually a premonition of coming failure. But... not... anymore...!

Young teams make mistakes and turnovers, if they play Offense. But young good, squads get better, too.:p

There was a comment that this edition of the Patriots is "...not as tight..." as the earlier Super Bowl clubs. I agree, but those were old mature clubs full of end of career players playing for the Last Hurrah.

Very good observation that explains some of the inconsistency we've seen out of this offense this season. Guys like Watson and Caldwell and Maroney and Jackson and Gabriel.. Even the oldest of them aren't really 'vets' in the truest sense of the word. Not one of them has been a consistent starter that's produced year in and year out for even as much as a full season.

This club is y-o-u-n-g. If Dillon is no longer a starter, there is NOT A SINGLE starter on offense who has even reached thirty; yet we have a deep O line, great TEs, a HOF QB, a pair of franchise RBs,. and five WRs any or all of whom are at least #2 types, even if no one is a sure #1. It has a record setting third down back and near league leaders at KO and PR. It is scoring at a rate to make it a leaguer power on Offense.

For all of the bellyaching about our young OC, we have fielded a very powerful offense in terms of scoring points even in the face of our WR turnover and the youth at key positions all over the offense. It's pretty amazing.

And I haven't even spoken of the balanced top 5 Defense, full of rising stars as well as a leaven of old pros. I was worried after 3 - 4 games that the D seemed to have lost the ability to force turnovers, usually a premonition of coming failure. But... not... anymore...!

I too felt the sinking feeling after the first few weeks. It felt like 2005 all over again, but thankfully that all changed and our defense has shown that they can be a force again. They're playing great defense this season, but the injuries are really piling up. I hope that it does not hurt them as much as it might hurt other teams.

Young teams make mistakes and turnovers, if they play Offense. But young good, squads get better, too.:p

I'm not sure how far we'll get this season (if we play well, the sky is the limit, but in the playoffs it only takes one bad game for it to be too late), but looking ahead to next season I'm very excited. Tom gets more time with his new WRs, the younger Offensive players get another year in the system. The defense gets some re-inforcements.. 2007 could be a monster year for this club. 2006 still has that potential too, but I really think this club is one or two key injuries away from uh-oh'sville.

It'll be fun to watch it play out though. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back