PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Watson Isn't Re-signed

The question is, "is the TE position, as 'currently' used, worth a first or second round pick?"

If Gresham slides to the late second, sure, if you think he can stay healthy and fill the void Watson would leave you draft him, he's a good value. What other TE is there in this draft has similar value as an all-around TE? McCoy? He's reportedly a good blocker, but he "lumbers" into his routes - I can find the same kind of player in the UDFA pool.

BB values TE, no question, but the greatest value from the position is now coming from the blocking they do and their Special Teams contribution. Watson has 26 receptions, Baker 13 - both are well off their highs. That sets the "value" I'm looking for in a TE - good blocker, someone who can pull down 15-30 receptions a season. Look to the later rounds my friend.

If we lose Watson (or miss out in FA) I think it is worth a 1st/2nd rounder. Watson is like another WR out there and teams have to respect that. Put some no name blocking TE out there and teams will just stack the box or use one of their weaker coverage guys on him saving the good ones for Welker and co.

Sure Watson is low in receptions, but Brady is just taking what the coverage give him. It's not like they are running the ball all the time where they don't need a pass catching TE. Also I don't see any TE in this draft with Watson's ability which is an even scarier thought if he does leave.

Last edited:
If we lose Watson (or miss out in FA) I think it is worth a 1st/2nd rounder. Watson is like another WR out there and teams have to respect that. Put some no name blocking TE out there and teams will just stack the box or use one of their weaker coverage guys on him saving the good ones for Welker and co.

Sure Watson is low in receptions, but Brady is just taking what the coverage give him. It's not like they are running the ball all the time where they don't need a pass catching TE. Also I don't see any TE in this draft with Watson's ability which is an even scarier thought if he does leave.
Ideally, Watson re-signs. If he doesn't, do we want a receiving TE? Gresham is arguably the only all-round TE projected to the first two rounds, I'm not sure I want to spend one of those picks on a junior who just missed his junior season.

NEPats pointed us at Moeaki, who looked like a blend of Graham and Watson in the Orange Bowl, with perhaps slightly better hands - he's likely a late second - third rounder when it's all said and done.

I like Watson ... don't get me wrong but I'd rather have a Grahambo kind of player again.

I like Watson ... don't get me wrong but I'd rather have a Grahambo kind of player again.
At this point Ben's blocking is very good, if not as dominating as Grahambo. Baker is more of a Grahambo blocker, so we're covered.

Ideally, Watson re-signs. If he doesn't, do we want a receiving TE? Gresham is arguably the only all-round TE projected to the first two rounds, I'm not sure I want to spend one of those picks on a junior who just missed his junior season.

NEPats pointed us at Moeaki, who looked like a blend of Graham and Watson in the Orange Bowl, with perhaps slightly better hands - he's likely a late second - third rounder when it's all said and done.

I'm going try and ignore it until after the first weeks of FA :)

At this point Ben's blocking is very good, if not as dominating as Grahambo. Baker is more of a Grahambo blocker, so we're covered.

I would agree, TE blocking is a strong suit of our team.

I do not see a TE in this draft class that has Watson's 4.4 speed. But I do see several good blockers with 4.6 - 4.7 type speed.

Pitta seems a clone of Dallas Clark and could be difficult to cover and dangerous in the Indy offense.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back