PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the Pats lose this game at Denver, how bad would it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
18-1 was the worst by far. Nothing comes close to that. Losing to a garbage team when we had the best team ever.

I've seen a number of people say similar things in the past. Personally I think its some type of coping mechanism. I remember the surreal feeling at the end of that I could only describe as dream or rather a nightmare. I think to many that memory has been compartmentalized as some sort of bad dream and don't recall as a lucid memory. In that way, I can see their point. It was in fact so bad that many normal fan minds can't even process what they experienced.
That's the only logical explanation. I can't wrap my head around anyone rationalizing another game more heartbreaking.

Dude I freakin cried like a little girl who's pony just got put down. No joke.

I have never cried over a game before or after. That game ruined me mentally for a week and even today I still have flashbacks. I replay so many plays in my head playing the what if game. May favorite what if game is what if Randy Moss had caught one of the hail mary's at the end and burned the secondary to win it. Man I get chills thinking about that.

The SB loss to the Packers annoys me a lot more in retrospect given how close the game was and what we know now about what was going on behind the scenes with our head coach. :mad:

Some of the coaching decisions he made in the game really were quite curious...and it would not shock me at all if there was more to those decisions than just a bad day at the office. I'll leave it at that.

I don't think it should be left at that. There are people here who actually believe that Tuna Crap is somehow responsible for our current success under Belichick. I think they need a refresher course in Patriots history.

One of the most annoying regular season losses to me was the 4th and 2 game vs Indy. That was the dumbest thing I've ever seen and made for a very frustrating loss.

Where's the thread that asks us to talk about our favorite wins. That thread would be HUGE.

Don't get me wrong: I want to win, and I want to beat Manning badly.

But I won't be upset at all if we don't win. The fact that we're even in this game is pretty amazing in itself, and is a testament to BB's prowess as a coach and as a GM. I'm excited as hell for the younger guys they picked up in the draft and FA, and if they lose I'll start looking forward to the next draft and my expectation that the injury/homicide situation can't possibly be any worse next season.

In the Brady-Manning Debate:

a) If Broncos win, well they were favored, Brady helped carry a remarkably depleted team to the AFCCG, Manning becomes 11-11 in the playoffs and 5-10 against Brady. Good luck throwing in February outdoors in the NJ Super Bowl Peyton.

b) If the Patriots win, Brady will have done what the rest of the nation thought impossible with no playmaking TE's no WR's beyond a poor man's #1 and #2, on the road. He becomes 19-7 in the playoffs (adding to his NFL record for playoff wins), 11-4 against Manning and goes to his QB unprecedented (and probably never to be matched) 6th Super Bowl.

.....The Brady-Manning debate would be OVER and DONE WITH forever. Not even Archie could argue it.

If the Pats were to go to the SB and lose it, the Manning fans would use the
"Brady has lost the last 3 SB's he's been in" card, and claim that Manning would have beaten the Hawks/Niners, thereby making him the better QB....somehow

I think they can win, but if they do, it will be because they are tougher. If they lose, it will be because they have less talent on the field. I'm OK with that. This is nowhere near as crushing a loss as:

1. 2006-7 (Colts)
2. 2007-8 (Giants)
3. 2011-12 (Giants)
4. 2010-11 (Jets)
5. 2005-6 (Broncos)

The 5 most crushing losses in the Brady-Belichick era. In that order.

6. 1985 Bears Super Bowl - Dating myself, here, but that loss was a major bummer after a terrific run through the AFC. The pain associated with that loss was more in the humiliation involved.

7. 1996 Brett Favre/Reggie White Packers - A winnable game for the Patriots if the offensive line could have handled Reggie White and the pass rush that led to 4 interceptions of Drew Bledsoe and three sacks by Reggie White alone. Poor Bledsoe was under pressure all game long with no hurry-up offense to turn the tables on that defensive line.

In the end, a loss to the Broncos this week will not crack the top 7. These guys have shown so much courage and determination that being the AFCC is a great accomplishment. I do, however, believe the Patriots will win this game after watching the Broncos against San Diego.

To me...
1. Super Bowl 42
2. Pats-Colts 06
3. Super Bowl 46
4. Celtics-Lakers 2010
5. Jets-Pats
6. Potential loss to Broncos
Part of me died a little when Pats lost super bowl 42.

And for those of us old enough to remember, the SB loss to da Bears was also pretty emotionally scarring. :(

naaaa, that was expected, maybe not quite so bad though.
That game did however scar me too, but not because of the loss.
What scarred me in that game, was when Grogan came in at the end when the Pats were backed up near their own endzone , score was 44-10 and he took a sack in the endzone...that put the # @ 6-0 when I was sitting on 4-0 in a 10k box in a square:eek: The game was a loss but I could have gotten something out of the misery....I saw Grogan coming in and and knew I was done, :eek: Eason would have scrambled out of there.
Can't remember though, I don't think Grogan started that drive, I'm pretty sure Eason did, was he taken out the play before after a hit?? or was it ineffectiveness???

Where's the thread that asks us to talk about our favorite wins. That thread would be HUGE.

Let's put it this way.

If the Patriots win this week - - nailing shut FOREVER the Brady-Manning Debate (how could it not, by that point?) then it may very well become my Second Favorite Patriots Win Ever (after SB36).

Across the nation, they are already calling it the Legacy Bowl - - and Manning has a LOT more to lose than Brady (not only for the aforementioned historical head-to-head and playoffs records, but also Manning probably has less time and an older team around him. The future is far brighter with the still developing Patriots and (other than that ACL a few years back) Brady is still in pretty good condition for 3-4 years.

Pats are winning the Super Bowl. I believe in them. Don't ever count Tom and bb out. Time to rise up and play some smash mouth football.

If we believe, it will happen.

To me...
1. Super Bowl 42
2. Pats-Colts 06
3. Super Bowl 46
4. Celtics-Lakers 2010
5. Jets-Pats
6. Potential loss to Broncos
Part of me died a little when Pats lost super bowl 42.

Me too, Froob. The SB 42 loss literally put me in a daze and to this day, I get a sick feeling in my stomach about it. Anyone who doesn't remember the Controversy That Shall Not be named and the defiant "Eff You, America" Tour that ensued, doesn't remember the entire year of 2007. it ended with mercury Morris and the 1972 Freaking Commercial and Senator Arlen Specter guffawing.

The 2006 AFCCG loss to the Colts was nowhere near that. I'd put it - - in fact, I'd put that 4th or 5th down the list after:

1) SB 42
2) SB 46
3) Losing to Denver in the 2005 Playoffs (Ending Brady's perfect playoff streak and ending The Dynasty)
4) Loss to the Jets in 2010 Playoffs (14-2, losing at home to Rex and the Jets? Way worse than losing to the Fivehead on the road).

The SB losses are at the top of the list. So, there are four right there, topped, of course, by the "game we never mention."

After that, the 2005 Season Division Round loss in Denver has to be next. At the time, that was the end of the "threepeat" but, in retrospect, it was the end of the Dynasty, as defined by SB wins. I still remember how badly I felt that night.

The two times they came within a game of getting to the SB and lost in the AFCCG would be next (Colts and Ravens).

Then, "Roughing the Passer" and the loss to the Raiders in the 1976 Division Round. It took 25 years for the Football gods to make that right with the Tuck call.

I'd have to think about how I'd rank other losses, but those are the eight worst.

Thanks for an uplifting and cheerful thread. :rolleyes:

The only games that haunt my memories are the two superbowl losses. Some of the other irk me but they aren't the same.

2006 to the Colts is right there, because the Bears and Rex Grossman were next up. That AFC championship game WAS the Super Bowl, and we were ahead 21-3. Chicago was to be a victory lap.

Face-guarding. :mad:

It's not up there with the two Giants losses, but it's alone as a solid 3rd.

I can't imagine this one hurting as much, even if it's stolen from us, because the next game would be an even bigger task (SF or Seattle). Plus our talent level is low this year IMO, after all of the injuries. This one is Belichick's and Brady's. A win Feb 2 would be sweet. A loss is understandable. Awful and sickening, but understandable.

Me too, Froob. The SB 42 loss literally put me in a daze and to this day, I get a sick feeling in my stomach about it. Anyone who doesn't remember the Controversy That Shall Not be named and the defiant "Eff You, America" Tour that ensued, doesn't remember the entire year of 2007. it ended with mercury Morris and the 1972 Freaking Commercial and Senator Arlen Specter guffawing.

The 2006 AFCCG loss to the Colts was nowhere near that. I'd put it - - in fact, I'd put that 4th or 5th down the list after:

1) SB 42
2) SB 46
3) Losing to Denver in the 2005 Playoffs (Ending Brady's perfect playoff streak and ending The Dynasty)
4) Loss to the Jets in 2010 Playoffs (14-2, losing at home to Rex and the Jets? Way worse than losing to the Fivehead on the road).

I'd flip flop 3 and 4, then take 4 and move it down to 5 while replacing it with the '06 AFCCG. And thanks for the awesome thread! Time to take oldrover out to pasture. :eek:

Especially since the dumb*ss refs screwed the pooch on Champ Bailey fumbling through the end zone when Ben Watson caught him. Should have been a touchback. Simms and Nantz (think it was them) diagrammed it on screen, there was no way the ball didn't go across a section of the end zone before going out of bounds. Another example of gutless refs giving the home team the advantage.

At the risk of further inflaming the curmudgeon, this is a fun thread in a certain way, so I'll chime in with my list and some food for thought for y'all regarding the odious thought of a loss on Sunday. First, though, I gotta say, this thread reminds me of the old Billy Crystal/Christopher Guest "I hate when that happens" skits on SNL

HateWhenThatHappens.jpg

For those too old to remember this - OK, probably a good many of you, it was funnier than this looks, and even weirder than this looks.

====

OK, so my list:

1. Perfect season crashing and burning, with the image of "Oops" Samuel, etc. bouncing in my cranium for, well, way the hell too long.

15. Super Blow 46 loss to the Giants

16. Super Blow loss to Phony Farrrrve, thanks "Groin Fat"

17. Super Blow loss to Jim McMahon, watching John Hannah's career end one game too late. Mitigated a bit later by the vicious thrashing administered to the Broncos by the 49ers (55-10). A small something, for sure, but better to not be the absolute worst loser in the game's history

18. AFCCG loss to the Fivehead in the curiously warm CrappyDome

19. AFCCG loss at home to the Ratbirds

20. AFCDG loss to Sanchez, Tubby, Bart Scott, "Father of the Year" Cromartie, and the rest of the Green Beans

====

So, I agree with a lot of you guys that there are some things that would help mollify me - a little - if the unthinkable should take place on Sunday. Here is another one that you may not have considered:

** If Denver beats the Pats and then loses the Super Bowl, they will become the first franchise to lose their 5th Super Bowl. If the Pats win and then lose the Super Bowl, they will be the first to get to that mark of shame. I think you know the kind of crapola that would be flowing towards them if they had that one to carry around, and it would have the potential to stick with them for a long time. That would totally suck, there could be generation of snotty New York dinks coming up here for college laying that on our great kids. I put up with that from too many of their dads for with the "1918" thing, so I know how much it blows.

BUT

It ain't gonna happen. Peyton will choke, the Pats will win, and they will dog the Seattle Juicers and claim the sweetest championship since the first one.

My God I might sound like a total loser, but...this time it won't hurt. And I'm the type of poster that couldn't post for 6 months after we lost our last one.

I can't wait for next season! :)

To explain, I guess I have beaten it into my head to have 0 expectations from this team this year after all the injuries and rebuilding that I really do feel like that. I just want our guys to have fun. I'm already thankful and satisfied with what they have given us this year. Weird.

Yeah, I know, just call me Mr. Positive. :yo:

If the Pats lose to the Broncos, how bad would it be?

Most painful playoff loss ever? No. We know what that is. :spygate:

Second most? No. That would be the 2011 version of the worst loss. For me anyhoo.

Third? Third would come out of a group of 2006, 2010, and last year. Could be in that group.

And would it be bad because it's another 'close but no cigar' for the Pats, or bad because it elevates Peyton? I don't really care about that aspect, but some seem to.

Thoughts? Comments? Brickbats? :bricks: LOL

My thoughts? Get out of here with that stuff.

1) SB 42
2) SB 46

There is NO way in h-e-double-hockeysticks that this years Pats would blow a 14-2 season at the hands of the Jest at home. Those Pats also wouldn't have made the comebacks that this year's team did.

Some say we overachieved this season. No way were we supposed to get a bye week and reach the AFC Championship with all the injuries we had. So in that sense, I'm very satisfied with the season we had.

BUT... if we were to win the Super Bowl this season, when we weren't "supposed" to... it might be better than any of the other Super Bowls we won. There's something about winning a championship as an underdog that makes it more special.

This year's team has so much heart. They're not nearly talented as 2007 or 2010. But man, they NEVER give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back