PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If San Diego plays next week like they did today they are in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
San Diego looked VERY beatable all day - The defense gave up several good gains from Grossman to Berrian - Jammer and Co. was having problems all day covering Berrian and Muhammed and if it were not for the stupid FO of the Bears letting Thomas Jones go they probably would have won this game,Cedric Benson and Adrian Peterson are NOT the answer to losing Jones. and the running game appears to be a future problem in the windy city.

Several things about this game come to mind - The ******ed call by Lovie sending a below average back like Adrian Peterson (NO he cannot be compared to the likely future great in Minnesota - only by name) into a running formation during a crucial 4th down and 3 instead of going to either a screen pass or a short out to Berrian - of course Petersen got absolutely nowhere and that was the part of the game that virtually ended the Bears hopes of the upset.

The Bears defense played good enough to beat any team in the NFL today but the offensive calls were - Well 'offensive' for much of this game.

Berrian should have been used even more than he was - He was by far the best player on that field on the offensive side and on the defensive side Briggs,Urlacher and Harris were amazing run stuffers all game,Ladanian almost looked human until the Bears front 7 wore down late and Tomlinson came around a bit.

The bottom line is that if SD plays like they did offensively for 3 quarters of the game next week like they did this week it may not even be a close game - I do expect a much better effort from Rivers and earlier efforts from Tomlinson and expect the game to go right down to the wire - We don't have the defense Chicago has but I think we can keep the Chargers offense under somewhat controlled a bit.

I would love to think SD will play this poorly next week, but I'd be okay with them playing much better and the Pats beating a VERY GOOD team over smacking them around if they played like they did (for most of) today.

San Diego looked VERY beatable all day - The defense gave up several good gains from Grossman to Berrian - Jammer and Co. was having problems all day covering Berrian and Muhammed and if it were not for the stupid FO of the Bears letting Thomas Jones go they probably would have won this game,Cedric Benson and Adrian Peterson are NOT the answer to losing Jones. and the running game appears to be a future problem in the windy city.

Several things about this game come to mind - The ******ed call by Lovie sending a below average back like Adrian Peterson (NO he cannot be compared to the likely future great in Minnesota - only by name) into a running formation during a crucial 4th down and 3 instead of going to either a screen pass or a short out to Berrian - of course Petersen got absolutely nowhere and that was the part of the game that virtually ended the Bears hopes of the upset.

The Bears defense played good enough to beat any team in the NFL today but the offensive calls were - Well 'offensive' for much of this game.

Berrian should have been used even more than he was - He was by far the best player on that field on the offensive side and on the defensive side Briggs,Urlacher and Harris were amazing run stuffers all game,Ladanian almost looked human until the Bears front 7 wore down late and Tomlinson came around a bit.

The bottom line is that if SD plays like they did offensively for 3 quarters of the game next week like they did this week it may not even be a close game - I do expect a much better effort from Rivers and earlier efforts from Tomlinson and expect the game to go right down to the wire - We don't have the defense Chicago has but I think we can keep the Chargers offense under somewhat controlled a bit.
you played the jets and we played the bears

you guys only beat them 17-13 in NE last season

If you're talking about last season as a measuring stick, we beat you too.

Last edited:

I see. Someone says the Chargers looked beatable and your response is that the Patriots won a close game last year. I suppose that is better than talking about how Tomlinson and Rivers played today.

Rex Friggin Grossman put together some drives today. You better play better next week than you did this week because you'll be facing Tom Brady, not Rex Grossman.

I didn't see the game but it seems to me that anytime a team limits their opponent to 3 points - let alone the team that represented their conference in the Super Bowl - they have a pretty good shot at winning a game.

I think you'll find very few folks underestimating San Diego around here.

Lets see

Bernard Berrian looks like Jerry Rice today against the Chargers secondary
You get Randy Moss next week :eek:

Chargers secondary appears suspect in the early going

I didn't see the game but it seems to me that anytime a team limits their opponent to 3 points - let alone the team that represented their conference in the Super Bowl - they have a pretty good shot at winning a game.

Rex GROSSman < Tom Brady = not even close - Tom would probably have put 24 at least on the Chargers today - SDs D gave tons of opportunities to Rex,he blew them and Lovie as well with the ridiculous play calling

I see. Someone says the Chargers looked beatable and your response is that the Patriots won a close game last year. I suppose that is better than talking about how Tomlinson and Rivers played today.

Rex Friggin Grossman put together some drives today. You better play better next week than you did this week because you'll be facing Tom Brady, not Rex Grossman.
my point is, NE looked very beatable last time we played them

once again...you played the jets, i'm glad you won, i hope the pats team is as pumped up over beating 'the jets' as it's fans are, that will help even out the home field advantage

i somehow think the pats players are smarter, but i do know last time we played in NE we beat them to death, and last time we faced moss we knocked him out of the lineup

The Bears moved the ball well but were sloppy with the football. SD looked bad on offense with a few exceptions, where they showed flashes of what they should be. And their secondary is not any better than last year.

Lets see

Bernard Berrian looks like Jerry Rice today against the Chargers secondary
You get Randy Moss next week :eek:

Chargers secondary appears suspect in the early going
wait till you play a team who actually puts pressure on the babymaker

3 ints anyone?

Rex GROSSman < Tom Brady = not even close - Tom would probably have put 24 at least on the Chargers today - SDs D gave tons of opportunities to Rex,he blew them and Lovie as well with the ridiculous play calling
brady would have thrown 3 ints if last season is any indication

once again...you played the jets, i'm glad you won, i hope the pats team is as pumped up over beating 'the jets' as it's fans are, that will help even out the home field advantage

i somehow think the pats players are smarter, but i do know last time we played in NE we beat them to death, and last time we faced moss we knocked him out of the lineup

I don't like to make excuses but I am near certain that NE was devastated by key injuries at the time of that game and The front 7 were reaally not as strong overall as they are right now

As far as injuring Moss - You have to catch him first ;) - Something the Jets secondary could not do

Man, I forgot what annoying fans coming over here the Chargers have. Worst of last year by far. I'm really glad this game comes early, so we only have to deal with it for a week. Actually two weeks. If we win, we'll have to tolerate a week after that about how the refs screwed them and how we didn't say "classy" things afterwards. If we lose, they'll be even more insufferable. Either way, they'll be gone in two weeks.

The fact that they didn't look good today (and they didn't on one side of the ball) is not all that relevant to me. It's the NFL. One point better is all that matters.

The Bears moved the ball well but were sloppy with the football. SD looked bad on offense with a few exceptions, where they showed flashes of what they should be. And their secondary is not any better than last year.
the secondary is nothing special but that's where the pressure on the qb comes in, and the 3 ints vs brady

the question is will san diego hand the game to NE again like last year, recently in the ne sd series we're what 2-1 vs them?

anyway this is a meaningless regular season game, it doesn't even matter if we beat NE in NE in the regular season, been there , done that.

the only thing that matters is the playoffs, this is just killing time.

I don't like to make excuses but I am near certain that NE was devastated by key injuries at the time of that game and The front 7 were reaally not as strong overall as they are right now

As far as injuring Moss - You have to catch him first ;) - Something the Jets secondary could not do
key words there

Man, I forgot what annoying fans coming over here the Chargers have. Worst of last year by far. I'm really glad this game comes early, so we only have to deal with it for a week. Actually two weeks. If we win, we'll have to tolerate a week after that about how the refs screwed them and how we didn't say "classy" things afterwards. If we lose, they'll be even more insufferable. Either way, they'll be gone in two weeks.

The fact that they didn't look good today (and they didn't on one side of the ball) is not all that relevant to me. It's the NFL. One point better is all that matters.
we think of NE as the most annoying fans as well, good to see we're all the same

Yeah, you guys *were* very beatable last time.

Love Chargers fans who talk about NE's cracks when they seem to believe they won something. lol

brady would have thrown 3 ints if last season is any indication

He has more than Bug eyes Caldwell to throw to this year - Remember one of the biggest problems NE had offensively last year was that the receivers were not talented or quick enough to get open on a constant basis - Brady rarily had time to find someone open because the receivers were poor in getting distance from thier opposing corner

Today,Once he snapped the ball, Brady could have sat down in the middle of the pocket,opened a lunchbox and had eaten a full lunch today - I expect Brady will not have more than 4 seconds on average to throw next sunday but with the speed of this WR corps he should not have to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call