PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Mario Manningham is available in the second round... do you take him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh oh. I've made him angry. YOU WON'T LIKE DABRUINZ WHEN HE'S ANGRY!!!

Guess I touched a nerve in the idiot corps here. Especially on that is ignorant enough to resort to friggin post count in ANY sort of argument.
-Your post count is way too high. I don't care how many years you've logged here. It's too high and I called you on it, simple as that. Jeez, you Bostonians can dish it out but you definitely can't take it.

And my post count being nearly 10,000 means NOTHING except to idiots like yourself who can't actually form a decent argument.
-We'll see about that.

1) What stops me from taking McFadden is NEED. The Patriots don't NEED him and, honestly, he'd be redundant as he has similar running style to Maroney. The object is to have DIFFERENT running styles with your RBs
-Of course the Pats don't NEED McFadden. The Saints didn't NEED Reggie Bush either but they took him because of what a good weapon he is. I've been the one here the whole time saying we need to spend all of our picks on defense. That said, if McFadden falls in our lap, how can we pass it up? In one scenario, he is trade bait for two first round picks. In another, he is a complement to Maroney. And while we're on that, do YOU even watch the Patriots? If you did, you'd know that Maroney relies more on his power to get through the first line of defenders while McFadden uses his elusive speed.

2) What also stops me from taking McFadden is the ability to trade down, which the Patriots will be able to do.
-Uh, where is the information on this? Where are the Si.com stories and/or rumors of the Patriots talking to other teams about moving down? I haven't seen one yet. And if we're moving down, we're moving down with style if McFadden lands in our lap. Pretty sure the Cowboys will give us their two first round picks to move up to number seven if he is still available. So this argument basically makes no sense either because we would need someone the whole league is drooling over in order to persuade someone to take on the astronomical price of a top ten first round pick. McFadden is that someone.

3) What ALSO stops me from drafting McFadden is how friggin OVER-RATED he is by the ignorant people of the world. McFadden = Reggie Bush part 2.
-Do you even watch college football? If you did, you'd know that LSU was the best defense in the nation last year. If you did, you'd know that Arkansas beat LSU. If you did, you'd know that McFadden was the ONLY reason Arkansas beat LSU. And Reggie Bush is overrated? Eh, I'd say he was only in a sophomore slump last season (common to second year pros. Brady had a sophomore slump even though his numbers don't indicate it). If you think Reggie Bush is overrated then you definitely didn't watch the Saints play in 2006. (Cue the: WELL WHY DON'T YOU ROOT FOR THE SAINTS retort)

4) OH btw, McFadden DOES have character issues. And they would keep the Patriots from drafting him. So, mr. Toughguy STFU and come find me.
-Well, let's see: Randy Moss had character issues, Corey Dillon had character issues, Rodney Harrison had character issues. Where do they play now? OH, so it's different if these guys are in college? You think the fact that McFadden has a couple of illegitimate kids is going to stop us from getting our hands on him (if only for trade bait) in the draft? Considering our track record with problem children, chances are you're wrong.

4) Jackson is an "automatic option" (meaning he'll compete) for the #3 position
-Oh, so now he's only COMPETING for the number 2 reciever position?

(Welker is the number 2 receiver. Do you even follow the Patriots?)
-No, Welker is the number 2 OPTION in Tom Brady's arsenal. Welker is best used in the slot, which he was for most of the year, making him the number three receiver. The number two slot belonged to Stallworth. IMO, if Jackson were the gel, I'd put him at number 2 with Welker in the slot (where he excels).

is the fact that the Pats traded up for him and spent a 2nd rounder to get him.
-YOU DON'T SAY?! :eek:

Also, the fact that his 2nd injury (the ACL) happened in the end of January 2007. With a normal recovery time of 12-18 months, any intelligent person KNEW that Jackson was going to be a non-factor in 2007
-I remember the word around the campfire here last summer being that there was hope he'd be back by mid-season. But eh, what do I know?

Jackson should be ready to go come TC. The Pats aren't going to spend ANOTHER 2nd round pick on a WR when they have guys like Gaffney on the team also. Its a TOTAL waste of a pick.
-Did you even read my original post? Here, let me copy and paste it for you...

Pretty simple question here. Some scouts are projecting Manningham to go in the second round (based on the last mock I've seen some time ago though). If he's available, do you take him? I ask this because some feel that we need someone to stretch the field on the other side of Moss and that he can't be our only deep threat. Manningham is big and fast but I don't feel that we should use a second round pick on a potential deep threat. I believe we should use most of our first day picks on defense with the exception being if McFadden was available at #7.

Nowhere in that post do I advise taking Manningham in the second round. I merely said that some people feel we need another receiver to complement Moss then made the mistake of saying that he was fast. Something I was admittadly wrong on. OPEN YOUR EYES AND READ.

5) Manningham isn't all that. As others have pointed out to you.
-He looked real good in the Florida game. Then again, he was going up against a horrible defense. Not like the LSU defense which, did I mention was number one in the country? Did I mention that McFadden mowed down their 8 man fronts like no other? Did I mention you're an idiot?

Kontradiction, you really should follow your own advice and keep your ignorant mouth shut.
-Ignorant? And your basis for that is what? Because I dared to argue against you and your 10,000 posts? By the way, how's that social life going? Ouch, I'm sorry.

No wonder you got your arse beat down by EVERYONE in this thread.
-If you had an IQ above that of a rock, you would realize that I really agree with everyone and that we should spend our picks on defense unless McFadden falls into our lap (which most have already agreed with me on that in another thread. I can C&P the link for you if you want and maybe you can add a +1 to the already sterling post count that you have). But that's okay. OMG I GOT PWNT ON A FORUM I'M GOING TO GO KILL MYSELF NOW. J/k... I bet you'd like that though. Now somebody find me a damn OWNED! picture to post in here.

-Your post count is way too high. I don't care how many years you've logged here. It's too high and I called you on it, simple as that. Jeez, you Bostonians can dish it out but you definitely can't take it.

-We'll see about that.

-Of course the Pats don't NEED McFadden. The Saints didn't NEED Reggie Bush either but they took him because of what a good weapon he is. I've been the one here the whole time saying we need to spend all of our picks on defense. That said, if McFadden falls in our lap, how can we pass it up? In one scenario, he is trade bait for two first round picks. In another, he is a complement to Maroney. And while we're on that, do YOU even watch the Patriots? If you did, you'd know that Maroney relies more on his power to get through the first line of defenders while McFadden uses his elusive speed.

-Uh, where is the information on this? Where are the Si.com stories and/or rumors of the Patriots talking to other teams about moving down? I haven't seen one yet. And if we're moving down, we're moving down with style if McFadden lands in our lap. Pretty sure the Cowboys will give us their two first round picks to move up to number seven if he is still available. So this argument basically makes no sense either because we would need someone the whole league is drooling over in order to persuade someone to take on the astronomical price of a top ten first round pick. McFadden is that someone.

-Do you even watch college football? If you did, you'd know that LSU was the best defense in the nation last year. If you did, you'd know that Arkansas beat LSU. If you did, you'd know that McFadden was the ONLY reason Arkansas beat LSU. And Reggie Bush is overrated? Eh, I'd say he was only in a sophomore slump last season (common to second year pros. Brady had a sophomore slump even though his numbers don't indicate it). If you think Reggie Bush is overrated then you definitely didn't watch the Saints play in 2006. (Cue the: WELL WHY DON'T YOU ROOT FOR THE SAINTS retort)

-Well, let's see: Randy Moss had character issues, Corey Dillon had character issues, Rodney Harrison had character issues. Where do they play now? OH, so it's different if these guys are in college? You think the fact that McFadden has a couple of illegitimate kids is going to stop us from getting our hands on him (if only for trade bait) in the draft? Considering our track record with problem children, chances are you're wrong.

-Oh, so now he's only COMPETING for the number 2 reciever position?

-No, Welker is the number 2 OPTION in Tom Brady's arsenal. Welker is best used in the slot, which he was for most of the year, making him the number three receiver. The number two slot belonged to Stallworth. IMO, if Jackson were the gel, I'd put him at number 2 with Welker in the slot (where he excels).

-YOU DON'T SAY?! :eek:

-I remember the word around the campfire here last summer being that there was hope he'd be back by mid-season. But eh, what do I know?

-Did you even read my original post? Here, let me copy and paste it for you...

Pretty simple question here. Some scouts are projecting Manningham to go in the second round (based on the last mock I've seen some time ago though). If he's available, do you take him? I ask this because some feel that we need someone to stretch the field on the other side of Moss and that he can't be our only deep threat. Manningham is big and fast but I don't feel that we should use a second round pick on a potential deep threat. I believe we should use most of our first day picks on defense with the exception being if McFadden was available at #7.

Nowhere in that post do I advise taking Manningham in the second round. I merely said that some people feel we need another receiver to complement Moss then made the mistake of saying that he was fast. Something I was admittadly wrong on. OPEN YOUR EYES AND READ.

-He looked real good in the Florida game. Then again, he was going up against a horrible defense. Not like the LSU defense which, did I mention was number one in the country? Did I mention that McFadden mowed down their 8 man fronts like no other? Did I mention you're an idiot?

-Ignorant? And your basis for that is what? Because I dared to argue against you and your 10,000 posts? By the way, how's that social life going? Ouch, I'm sorry.

-If you had an IQ above that of a rock, you would realize that I really agree with everyone and that we should spend our picks on defense unless McFadden falls into our lap (which most have already agreed with me on that in another thread. I can C&P the link for you if you want and maybe you can add a +1 to the already sterling post count that you have). But that's okay. OMG I GOT PWNT ON A FORUM I'M GOING TO GO KILL MYSELF NOW. J/k... I bet you'd like that though. Now somebody find me a damn OWNED! picture to post in here.
Do you realize what an idiot you sound like? Newest on the ignore list.

I'll return the favor.

EDIT: Well it's been fun. But I'm leaving work and actually have a social life to attend to.

This message is hidden because SamBamsFan is on your ignore list.

That's better.

Last edited:
Eh, screw this. I love the Pats too much to get into a flame war with another fan. I'm ducking out.

Exactly and Arrington has been and continues to be one of my sleeper picks. While Manningham has received most of the fanfare, and rightfully so, all Arrington did every time I've watched Mich was make big, clutch catches. Hell, if the Pats do need another receiver to occasionally stretch the field, I prefer that they brought back Tim Dwight over drafting a WR with a day one pick.

Is Arrington even a day one pick?

Blah blah blah I'm an ignorant moron who doesn't know what I am talking about and have to make comments about other people's post count because I'm not smart enough to have an actual conversation BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Kontradiction - You're ignorant because of what you say in your posts. They aren't supported worth a damn. You made that VERY clear early on. The fact that another poster felt the same as I did and put you on ignore should be proof enough of that.

BTW, Reggie Bush didn't suffer a "sophomore slump." He was exposed as NEEDING a 2nd back to compliment him. He's not a true #1 like an Edgerrin James, Marshall Faulk or Larry Johnson. Which, in my opinion, makes him over-rated based on where he was drafted.

P.S. You ignoring SamBam is laughable since you might have actually learned something from his posts. But, then, you've already shown how ignorant you like to be.

Last edited:
As someone who has watched both Manningham and Arrington play, I would really, truly be happy with either player on our roster. If Manningham makes it to our 2nd round pick, I would be equally happy if we didn't pull the trigger. However, if he made it to our first 3rd I would be a little disappointed.

40 times are overrated...even for wide receiver. Manningham toasted a lot of people, and maybe it was the Big Ten but he did an excellent job. As did Arrington.

Arrington's probably a more realistic pick for the Pats than Manningham, because he'll come in the 5th-7th rounds.

As someone who has watched both Manningham and Arrington play, I would really, truly be happy with either player on our roster. If Manningham makes it to our 2nd round pick, I would be equally happy if we didn't pull the trigger. However, if he made it to our first 3rd I would be a little disappointed.

40 times are overrated...even for wide receiver. Manningham toasted a lot of people, and maybe it was the Big Ten but he did an excellent job. As did Arrington.

Arrington's probably a more realistic pick for the Pats than Manningham, because he'll come in the 5th-7th rounds.

Agreed. Jerry Rice's 40 time wasn't all that awesome and I believe he's the best receiver ever to lace them up.

Is Arrington even a day one pick?
No, I don't think he is nor did I mean to suggest that he was a day one pick. It's why I think he's a sleeper and would love the Pats to draft him if he should last into the fourth round.

Ok, you lost me here...you claim to be a Pats fan who is down on the Boston mindset? Dude, c'mon, seriously? And post count has nothing to do with anything. My post count is negligible. I haven't been here long. His post count is high, he has. If you think that's a factor, honestly, and this isn't just baiting, I don't know why you are even on the internet since you seem to think it's a liability in life. This is a fan forum, if spending time here is a detriment to your opinion of people, you might want to leave, as it's pretty counter-intuitive.

Again, you lost me. If we had the opportunity to draft Bush or even Peterson (who is a more apt comparison with McFadden in most areas) with #7 this year and we DID I'd honestly pull out what little hair I have. I find McFadden to be a lesser player than Bush and Peterson in most ways, from production to Pro projections. If we drafted a player of this "style" even in the 2nd round this year I'd raise my eyebrows and be upset. And I'm a "homer" I don't really get upset with the FO about drafts or F/A signings. Let some idiot like Jones or Davis overpay for part time talent. I'm happy with Faulk for the time being.

Sorry, not trying to hammer you, but this isn't the most well though out post I've read. Your argument is full of holes and smacks of argument for the sake of argument because DaBruinz seems to push your buttons for whatever reason, but at the end of the day, I can't find any good reason to draft, or hope to draft McFadden. If he's available, pray we trade down. If he's not, mobetta for us because it means a viable every down talent might be on the board who would otherwise be gone.

Ok, you lost me here...you claim to be a Pats fan who is down on the Boston mindset? Dude, c'mon, seriously?
-I'm a Florida Pats fan that was born in Boston, but I've spent my life down here. And yes, sometimes Bostonians have a sense of arrogance about them. I'll say it. And I'm not the only one. I've seen several people gloating about it. If you're from Boston and you're really proud of it, then all the power to you. I was born in Boston but consider myself a Floridian and I'm proud of it. Be proud of your heritage but just remember... I'm going to be there to knock you down a notch. :rocker:

And post count has nothing to do with anything. My post count is negligible. I haven't been here long. His post count is high, he has. If you think that's a factor, honestly, and this isn't just baiting, I don't know why you are even on the internet since you seem to think it's a liability in life. This is a fan forum, if spending time here is a detriment to your opinion of people, you might want to leave, as it's pretty counter-intuitive.
-Pretty sure I just said before that I brought up post count as a sure-fire way to get under his skin. Did it not work?

Again, you lost me. If we had the opportunity to draft Bush or even Peterson (who is a more apt comparison with McFadden in most areas) with #7 this year and we DID I'd honestly pull out what little hair I have. I find McFadden to be a lesser player than Bush and Peterson in most ways, from production to Pro projections. If we drafted a player of this "style" even in the 2nd round this year I'd raise my eyebrows and be upset. And I'm a "homer" I don't really get upset with the FO about drafts or F/A signings. Let some idiot like Jones or Davis overpay for part time talent. I'm happy with Faulk for the time being.
-We just differ then. I agree with you that McFadden and Peterson are similar in a lot of areas and that is what I like about McFadden. I definitely don't WANT us to draft him as I feel that we really need to improve on defense but if he falls into our lap, he is a powerful bargaining chip at the most and a weapon at the least. McFadden doesn't have to split carries with Maroney all the time. If Maroney is in the backfield, we can line McFadden up in the slot. He is very capable of catching passes. Trust me, I know something about McFadden. I'm a Gator fan living in the south. Arkansas games were on all the time down here. And I love Kevin Faulk. He's one of my favorite players on the team and always has been. But he's not getting any younger. How many more years do you think he wants to continue playing football? Now, if I can say this one more time, I do not think we should draft McFadden. If he falls in our lap at number 7, what I WOULD DO is use him as trade bait for the Cowboys. All I'm saying is that if he falls to us and we cannot trade him, it's not exactly a bad situation of someone in the front office takes him either. He would be the best player on the board and we all know what BB's opinion is on that. If we were to take a RB, I would love to take Chris Johnson in a later round. Kid's numbers are off the charts.

Mario's chances of being drafted by the NEP have now gone Up in Smoke; as have Aqib Talib's. I had no interest in either of them in the top-100, anyway.

As I have stated before, I won't even look at WRs until the 3rd round, and only if our needs at CB and LB have been filled. If they have, then I'll look for a backup slot WR/first-team KOR/PR such as Dexter Jackson, Eddie Royal and Chris Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST