PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Cassel is franchised, which teams are on the "no-trade" list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't even mention that if Pioli goes, some one is going to have to pay with a pick.:cool:

It's very unlikely they get a pick for Pioli.

jets, buffalo, miami and no one else

Those and I worry about Tennessee becoming a megapower for years to come...all they have ever lacked is a decent QB.

Mike Lombardi on Inside the NFL on Showtime:

(Could Matt Cassel play for the Jets):

LOMBARDI: The Patriots are way too smart, and I’ve talked to people in the organization. They are going to franchise Matt Cassel. He’s an asset and they can control their ability to trade him if they franchise him.

Last edited:
I have no issue with trading Cassel to anyone if the beneficial outcome is greater to our team than the outcome of the opposition.

That said, as thanks to Matt for what he has done for the Patriots this season, definitely not the Jets or Lions. I'd feel for him going to those cesspools.

I have no issue with trading Cassel to anyone if the beneficial outcome is greater to our team than the outcome of the opposition.

That said, as thanks to Matt for what he has done for the Patriots this season, definitely not the Jets or Lions. I'd feel for him going to those cesspools.

Exactly. Sorta like being exiled to Tasmaina or somesuch.

Troy Brown just on Comcast Sports Tonight. Troy said there is no way of knowing which camp is right, the Brady is ahead of schedule or behind, until at least April. He feels it could go either way at this time. Troy feels "the Patriots should do what they have to until then to keep Cassel under their control. " By April Troy feels the Pats will know whether they can trade Cassel or whether they will need him for 2009.

Troy Brown just on Comcast Sports Tonight. Troy said there is no way of knowing which camp is right, the Brady is ahead of schedule or behind, until at least April. He feels it could go either way at this time. Troy feels "the Patriots should do what they have to until then to keep Cassel under their control. " By April Troy feels the Pats will know whether they can trade Cassel or whether they will need him for 2009.

Troy continues to impress with his intelligence. What a great Patriot.

Hopefully we are not on that list...Peyton could use a good backup instead of Sorgi. (just joking)

I will put down my marker here saying that, all things being equal, the 49ers would be the new home of Mssr. Cassel IF he gets traded.

That being said, I fully expect to see him in a Patriots uniform next year. I just can't see the Patriots being willing to gamble on Brady's return and being caught short on the QB roster if he goes down again. Troy was bang on tonight with his assessment that the Patriots will take a wait and see approach to Brady.

Lookit here: The Patriots are all about depth. They are all about having quality bodies who can fill in when holes appear, who can step up into the space of a fallen man and hold the line. Why take a chance on an injured Brady being 100% come day1 of the regular season and NOT having a quality QB to fill in?

Bidness is bidness. I understand that. I'm self employed as well. But a savvy businessman looks to the long term, not the short term goals. No sense in meeting the cash flow problem by selling off the assembly line. Only sell the assembly line when you have a BETTER way of making the goods in hand, paid for, and ready to go.

If I am the Patriots, i franchise Cassel with an eye to keeping him until I KNOW that Brady is coming back as good as he ever was, and even then, I'm maybe keeping Cassel around to pad the odds in my favour.

Others mileage may, of course, vary, :)

I will put down my marker here saying that, all things being equal, the 49ers would be the new home of Mssr. Cassel IF he gets traded.

That being said, I fully expect to see him in a Patriots uniform next year. I just can't see the Patriots being willing to gamble on Brady's return and being caught short on the QB roster if he goes down again. Troy was bang on tonight with his assessment that the Patriots will take a wait and see approach to Brady.

Lookit here: The Patriots are all about depth. They are all about having quality bodies who can fill in when holes appear, who can step up into the space of a fallen man and hold the line. Why take a chance on an injured Brady being 100% come day1 of the regular season and NOT having a quality QB to fill in?

Bidness is bidness. I understand that. I'm self employed as well. But a savvy businessman looks to the long term, not the short term goals. No sense in meeting the cash flow problem by selling off the assembly line. Only sell the assembly line when you have a BETTER way of making the goods in hand, paid for, and ready to go.

If I am the Patriots, i franchise Cassel with an eye to keeping him until I KNOW that Brady is coming back as good as he ever was, and even then, I'm maybe keeping Cassel around to pad the odds in my favour.

Others mileage may, of course, vary, :)

Reading my mind.

Reading my mind.

Yeah, and you know? There are teams out there that are dying to have that kind of a QB problem!

Can anyone else say ROMO? Sure... I knew you could...

yeah i agree in an ideal world it'd be great to keep cassel long term but your assembley line analogy falls short in the respect of. you have 2 assembly lines you have to pay 2 top dollar when in reality you can only keep one. the choice for the patriots is tag n trade before the season, tag let him start the season till brady is ready then trade or let him go. my opinion is that the best thing for the team long term but will be a little riskier short term is tag n tade for 1st round plus what ever we can manage because of all the young talent reportedly coming out in this draft. i like most would love to keep cassel long term and have him back up brady but for the money it isn't in cassel or the teams best interests. my bottom line is it would kill me if we let cassel go for nothing. because if you are lookin at it purely in pick terms we are basically turning a 7th rounder we took on cassel into 1st rounder plus... a terrific value for the patriots

Thing is, you miss my point. No sense in trading away the means of production until you have a solid means of producing items in place and ready to go. Brady, we all know, IS the franchise. He IS the greatest thing since sliced bread and canned beer. No argument there,.

However, Brady is in the shop. He's being repaired. It is hoped that he is ready to go and can start the new production season at a great level and without missing a beat.

You, as the shop owner, neer to keep making product so as to earn money. With the primary production line undergoing repairs, you open up the replacement line. You gotta keep chi=urning out product in order to make money, see? Cassel is that backup production line.

That bit od machinery (Cassel) is worth a good chunk of change to someone, but it would be STUPID to sell it off to another business BEFORE you have the primary machinery back in the shop and ready to go.

Cassel is the insurance policy. The Patriots can win with Cassel. They can win without Brady if needs be. They don't WANT to, but they can, O'connel? Who knows? Cassel is the sure thing and the safe bet. The Pats keep him around until they KNOW Brady is ready to go.

Like I said, more than anything else, the Pats are about depth, about having the bodies to fill in when someone goes down.

The Patriots depth comes from value. They don't like paying more for a position than they have to so they can keep strong players in all positions. If they think Brady's recovery mirrors Mannings (a few ropey games but a strong finish) they won't pay Cassel a lot of money for a quarter season and maybe 1 more win than a recovering Brady. The only way I see them keeping Cassel is if there is a real problem with Brady and they won't know that for a few months. None of the scare stories I have read about Brady are convincing so far.

Honestly I think there are only two teams on the "No Trade List" for Cassel and those two teams would be the Jets and Bills. Miami is going to have Pennington and in the end Buffalo is probably going to give Trent Edwards one more year.

I still think New England, like Green Bay did with Favre last year, will do whatever it can to get Cassel outside of the AFC. Then again, there arn't many AFC teams that will be looking for a Quarterback.

Jets (maybe)
Buffalo (highly unlikely, but maybe)

Other than those two I can't think of one.

The only question with this scenario: What do the Pats see in Kevin O'Connell? If they think he's ready to take the helm in 2009, then they may still feel confident trading Cassel.

The only question with this scenario: What do the Pats see in Kevin O'Connell? If they think he's ready to take the helm in 2009, then they may still feel confident trading Cassel.
I think they'll trade Cassel either way. For me it's too costly to keep both Cassel and Brady given that Cassel would cost either the Franchise amount or a lesser amount from a new deal but would be difficult to trade based on bonus acceleration.

If they think O'Connell is ready - great. If not I would expect them to sign a journeyman veteran more actively this offseason than last.

Think a minute about why Cassel would be marketable. Look at Atlanta's turnaround this year with a new QB and also at the Ravens who also made the playoffs with a new QB. You don't think there are teams out there who don't want to be the next Atlanta? Cassel offers the promise of that quick turnaround and he has an impressive 2008 resume to boot. Cassel's stock/value is at its highest right now thanks to those 2 factors. I say the highest bid will be a MINIMUM of a 1st round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes