PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Cassel is franchised, which teams are on the "no-trade" list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Pats would trade Cassel to whoever offered them the most. They'd certainly prefer for him to go to the NFC, and would obviously prefer that he not wind up in Miami or NYJ, but if the Dolphins or Jets made an over-the-top offer I think the Pats would take it. While I don't see this as the Bledsoe trade all over again, I think that where they let him go might say a lot about what they really think of Cassel as a QB (decent vs. good vs. potentially great).

In all honesty, this is another one that should be merged with the other Cassel threads.

Also, as others have pointed out, the Pats will trade with the team that is the highest bigger. That being said, I don't believe that KC is in the hunt for a QB.

Problem with the Lions is, if you think we can get a 1st round pick, I'm not sure the Pats want the #1 overall. It's high risk, high money, and almost impossible to trade out of these days. I see them shooting for someone in the San Fran range, where it's a pick around 10. Much more manageable, and maybe they can get another player like Mayo ;)

Pats have the Cowboys' #1 pick from the Roy Williams trade, so they could take that instead.

I feel like the Jets are the only team he wouldn't send him too. Maybe Miami too, but I doubt they're in the market anyway.

Everyone else is fair game. If the Bills offer a 1st and 2nd, you better believe he's Buffalo bound.

I don't think so. This isn't 2002. The Bills have started to put the pieces in place, even if they have a bad coach. I really see no way that the Pats would strengthen a rival for the Divsion title, whom they have to play twice a year; this season is Exhibit One in making that case.

Pats have the Cowboys' #1 pick from the Roy Williams trade, so they could take that instead.

I forgot about that. Be great if we got Cowboys #1 and Lions #2 ;)

I disagree. It's not weak-sauce, just smart business. Why would you want to strengthen a team that you have to face twice a year? I think it's unlikely that they'd trade him anywhere in the Conference, especially since there are multiple NFC teams that need help at QB (or that might decide they need help if Matt is available to them).

You might be right, but if the trade benefits us more than them, or if there is a feeling that the guy we're releasing is a system player, I think it gets done.

On the other hand, Welker came from within the the division and the Dolphins must have felt that one.

I think the Pats would trade Cassel to whoever offered them the most. They'd certainly prefer for him to go to the NFC, and would obviously prefer that he not wind up in Miami or NYJ, but if the Dolphins or Jets made an over-the-top offer I think the Pats would take it. While I don't see this as the Bledsoe trade all over again, I think that where they let him go might say a lot about what they really think of Cassel as a QB (decent vs. good vs. potentially great).

I disagree. I think the Pats are smarter than that. The "highest bid" will not necessarily be the best bid. The best bid is a competitive bid (i.e., reasonably competitive with but not necessarily as good as a hypothetical bid from an AFC East team or any AFC team) from an NFC team that won't stand between them and BB's fourth Pat's ring.

You might be right, but if the trade benefits us more than them, or if there is a feeling that the guy we're releasing is a system player, I think it gets done.

On the other hand, Welker came from within the the division and the Dolphins must have felt that one.

Good response with the system point. Sitll, tho, the Welker and Pennington moves make my point. The Dolphins and Jets both know they erred in strengthening a Divisional opponent.

The Chiefs re-wrote their entire Offense mid-season for Thigpen, and it worked. KC won't be in the hunt for a QB. Next year anyway.

Agreed. If you trade people out of the division because you're scared to face them, that's weak-sauce. Bill hath no weak-sauce.

Revis and a 2nd rounder this year, Cassel is a Jetski. :D

Do you have any idea how much money Revis is set to make? I don't think we could afford it.

I don't think there is anyone on the no trade list if we franchise and trade him. You send it him to the highest bidder.

When did the PATS get the Cowboys number 1 pick??? Did I miss the Pats having Roy Williams??

I think you meant the LIONS have Cowboys #1 pick and that the Lions could use that in trade for Cassel.. :p

None.

But it depends a lot on the NEP assessment of Matt as compared to other teams.

If BB and SP believe as some have here and elsewhere that Matt is all system. On any other team without Wes, Randy and the Pats coaching he would be medicore at best. Yet other teams are over valuing him. Then you want him in the division. 1) he sets another team back a couple of years in the QB position. 2) that team now has less draft picks.

On the other hand no team is offering you what you see as a future pro-bowlers worth is, it would better to send him to the NFC.

Definitely wouldn't trade him within the division unless we had to. After that go with the highest bidder. This is business not personal.

Agreed. I'm sure Al Davis hates the Patriots for the Snow Bowl, but he was still willing to trade Randy Moss to them.

With Welker, the die was cast (alea iacta est, for you Latin fans ;)) when the LOLphins offered him a second-round tender. I'm still amazed that Belichick was able to keep himself from salivating on the sideline as he pictured Welker in a Pats uniform. :D

The Chiefs re-wrote their entire Offense mid-season for Thigpen, and it worked. KC won't be in the hunt for a QB. Next year anyway.

Points, yes, but not wins.

Banned from where ever McDanials ends up!

Banned from where ever McDanials ends up!

Any team that gets McDaniels is MORE likely to give up more for Cassel.

I'd like to see Cassel to the Lions for their 2nd rounder and either the Cowboys#1 that they have or their #1 next year. If that's too steep, I'd settle for their 2nd rounder this year and next.

Any team that gets McDaniels is MORE likely to give up more for Cassel.

I'd like to see Cassel to the Lions for their 2nd rounder and either the Cowboys#1 that they have or their #1 next year. If that's too steep, I'd settle for their 2nd rounder this year and next.

True... Just say McDanials ends up with the Jets? Then what?

I predict Cowher or Shanahan ends up in NY. I would also put Spagnola ahead of McDaniels.

n8993.jpg

Last edited:
When did the PATS get the Cowboys number 1 pick??? Did I miss the Pats having Roy Williams??

I think you meant the LIONS have Cowboys #1 pick and that the Lions could use that in trade for Cassel.. :p

Phooey with that. :mad:

I would want the Lions #1, even if I have to toss in a Pats pick to get it.

There is an Orlando Pace, Jonathan Ogden type LOT coming available. A once a decade player, that will be a pro-bowler for 15 years.

Andre Smith is worth the #1, and the ONLY way the Pats would ever get a guy like that, is with a top pick. Even if they didn't want him; take the #1 and move it to 3-6, for someone who did. And pick a up a pick; and then move to to 10-12, and pickup another pick. Take the accrued picks and upgrade the Pats first to around 12-15.

Then draft Rey Maualaga/Lauranitis and Taylor Mays/Moore. You could even bundle picks to move into the first round a third time, and take a guy like Vontai Davis as a CB; or a Selvie/Brown/Hardy OLB candidate.

Result: Defense totally rebuilt, top to bottom with affordable priced rookies for 4-6 years. Then resign all your own stars coming free at the end of next season: Brady, Seymour, Wilfork, Mankins, etc. :eek:

I didn't even mention that if Pioli goes, some one is going to have to pay with a pick.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call