PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - this and that....

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the "Welker debacle" didn't stop the Pats from getting a deal done with Vollmer in March 2013.

I know of only one "Welker debacle" and it didn't happen in 2013.

But this is my major concern, Ken

I see Celtics 1987 here.

KC Jones used his 5 starters an average of 40+ minutes per game. They had the best talent around, but they were dead by the Finals.

Brady is just throwing to 3 guys, really (plus, Vereen). There is very little depth to that passing attack. One of them goes down and.....poof. I wish there was more ability to work in Amendola and Wright.

The Patriots don't play their top threats any more than every other playoff team. TY Hilton? Manny Sanders and the Thomas brothers? Nelson and Cobb? Dez Bryant and Demarco Murray? Smith Sr and Smith Jr?

Not a single one of those units gets significantly more rest than NE's guys, unless you want to count time missed due to injuries.

Brady is just throwing to 3 guys, really (plus, Vereen). There is very little depth to that passing attack. One of them goes down and.....poof. I wish there was more ability to work in Amendola and Wright.
So, there are us usually 5 potential targets on the field. And, yes, focuses on the four best receivers. Your point seems to be that he should focus more on the other receivers in case someone gets injured. I disagree. Amendola and Wright can catch the ball, but I see no reason to focus on them more at the expense of better players. And yes, we even get the occasional reception from Hooman, Develin and Tyms.

BTW, the idea that the receivers are not capable of playing a complete season is rather silly. Perhaps, we should sit down Brady for the rest of the year, or perhaps for the first half of the remaining games?

It's funny. The storyline from the media especially the local media was comparing the Pats to the Broncos and how the Broncos knew their window with Manning is very short and were "all in" and loaded up for a Super Bowl run while the Pats blew it because they sacrificed maximizing Brady's this time this year for the future. Now that the Pats are clearly better than the Broncos and seem to be THE FAVORITE to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl over Denver, we don't hear anything.

Granted, they may prove otherwise in the playoffs, but I think this shows that the "all in" strategy is a stupid strategy. The Broncos are slightly better on defense, but they are significantly worse on offense. But this could be that Manning's window shut last year and he has reached the point where his physical limitations are going to hold him and the team back.

I think the "all in" strategy doesn't work in the modern NFL. Too many risks of free agents not performing as well as their financial commitment and it is about team and not individual players. People will point to the Seahawks of last year, but they are really not "all in" but just was lucky enough (or good enough drafters) t0 have almost all their elite players playing on their rookie deals giving them room to sign a lot of free agents. And they also benefitted from the fact that most of the free agents last year didn't get big deals.

I had forgotten about that mediot sh!tshorm from the pre-season. Will they and we never learn the power of patience and perseverance. We are so often like children so immediately distracted by every shiny new distraction or big name

I didn't have the the time to flesh out my thought in the OP, I'm going to do it in a new thread

Our redzone D has been very good as of late..GB game...SD only scored 14

Actually, SD only really scored 7 on offense--since the other TD was a fumble return by their defense. This supports your theory even more. Our defense has been excellent lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3