PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle thoughts: Moral victory, or Lost opportunity....

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Not all things considered... in the here and now, do you have any faith in Mac taking this team to the next level?

If the eagles are the most talented team in the league (i disagree, it's sf at the moment) then you see where we need to be, and we are miles from that...
I would take the Eagles roster 99/100 ovre the 49ers. Eagles are stacked. And they have a really good QB

I think the o-line is getting too much credit for not getting Mac killed yesterday and not having many jailbreaks. I guess they were ok against the pass. They did give up a lot of pressure, but nothing unusual considering the opponent having the arguably the best d-line in the league. But they were awful vs. the run. Stevenson had absolutely no holes to run inside. That obviously hurt the offense.
1st quarter Mac had a lot of time to throw. I think the Eagles threw everyone back in coverage and rushed 4, but they couldn't get to him

I would take the Eagles roster 99/100 ovre the 49ers. Eagles are stacked. And they have a really good QB
Disagree... SF is the better team... does not take anything away from the eagles in saying so... but that's besides the point... the point is we saw what we need to measure up against and we are not there yet

Agree, but I'm getting close to my "use by date". I may not have time to develop another QB. Please Mac, be that guy.
Just remember things are good well past their use by date...

And I would love to be wrong about Mac, nothing would make me happier.

Not all things considered... in the here and now, do you have any faith in Mac taking this team to the next level?

If the eagles are the most talented team in the league (i disagree, it's sf at the moment) then you see where we need to be, and we are miles from that...
You have look at the big picture my friend.. I believe yes going forward Mac has the ability to go to the next level. I agree with what you've said however you have to look at the bigger picture. The offense has to overcome self inflicted things . So yes, all things considered the moment, time, place, down,distance, weather, opponent, situation.

Was a crazy day week 1 all together in the NFL.

Disagree... SF is the better team... does not take anything away from the eagles in saying so... but that's besides the point... the point is we saw what we need to measure up against and we are not there yet
I think they are 1-2 in the NFC. More like 1 and 1A.

any talk about how meyers shined in his raiders debut and Juju wasnt even on the field the last drive?

any talk about how meyers shined in his raiders debut and Juju wasnt even on the field the last drive?
I'm waiting for the Raiders to take on a better D than the Broncos and us to take on an easier team than the Eagles to make up my mind on that.

1st quarter Mac had a lot of time to throw. I think the Eagles threw everyone back in coverage and rushed 4, but they couldn't get to him

That was the trade off though. Mac had time, but his receivers couldn't get open. After the first, Mac was under pressure, but his receivers were able to get open. It had to do with the coverages.

That's a little silly after Week 1, but one thing I'll say is that for all the talk of Juju's YAC ability and how much more dynamic he was than Meyers, I thought he lacked any burst and went down at the first sight of contact every time he had the ball in his hands. I have to admit I was a bit concerned with how slow I thought he looked.

No more moral victories. We have known since 2021 that we can hang with essentially any team out there. Which is a good thing for sure, the situation is not as bad as the doomsayers say. Roster wise , I think we have built a very respectable team and hopefully we see continued improvement.

But the fact is we don’t have the horses offensively to pull these games out regularly, or even once in a while when it comes to the leagues elites. Its always one thing or another and it will be that way until we find a true #1 guy or mac elevates his game/ starts eliminating the negative plays and sack taking when you can get rid of it . We also lack the intangibles from back in the day that used to make up for lack of a superstar wr. Yesterday was another game we won if we simply didn’t lose the turnover battle, make a play on st, avoid killer penalties (granted not all of that was our fault yesterday ), or coach better in key situations . Its become a trend the last few years unfortunately, IF the team ever gets over that hump then I could see us making some real noise. Im just hoping until then this doesn’t create a locker room divide with the defense being hung out to dry time and time again.

Nailed it. They are outmatched offensively in these big matchups. Depending on the health of the OL they may have everything besides a #1 option. It’s frustrating

Within the last two minutes, our final drive, did you have any confidence in Mac leading the team down the field to score? I didn't...
That sounds like a you problem. I thought he would do it.

Great write up as usual. In the grand scheme of things it was as a positive loss as you can have. I predicted a 24-20 loss in the pickem’s thread, but tbh that was just being optimistic. Yes the narrative this morning from fans seems to be moral victories don’t count. However, being that this was against the SB runner ups I’ll take it. All offseason, the big question was the oline and the conclusion was they are the worst in the league. All week was the speculation that this oline would be destroyed by Philly’s front. It didn’t happen. They came to play and played above many expectations.

The offense wasn’t great but it wasn’t a disaster either. It moved the ball and actually had a shot to win in the end. This was one of Mac’s best games as a pro and certainly better than any garbage he put out last year. If you can take anything away from this game, just know there was definitely improvement in every area of the game against a top notch opponent and they are going to need that to survive this schedule.

I woke up this morning feeling pretty good about the team. Something that hasn’t been in awhile. I’ll take it and be happy as **** that at least there is hope on the horizon.

Moral victory. Defense looks just as good as we thought. It's such a relief that the offense looks fine ... even good dare we say. I'm amazed we tossed the two rookies in there and a new guy who didn't play all training camp, and held up against a great defense.

@Pape you want to be fair? Why not put some of the blame on Belichick the GM for leaving Mac with a makeshift o-line and no WR that teams fear. Belichick asks Mac to be Brady and elevate average players around him and he is not Brady. If Mac and Hurts traded receiving corps and o-lines yesterday, Mac might have thrown for five TDs and over 400 yards.

While I get your point about the makeshift O-line, I don't think our tackles were a problem yesterday. But as for the rookie guards and devoting resources to that position, I doubt any team in the NFL has expended more draft capital on guards in the last 2 years. We've spent 4 picks on Cole Strange, Atonio Mafi, Chasen Hines and Sidy Sow. I'd say they've tried to address the position.

But I recall near the end of the game he had a 9 or 10 yd run, but the stats had him with a long of 5, so I'm questioning his stat line, even though overall it was poor, even if you add the long run.
Rham's long run came on this holding call. We had a 1st and 10 deep in Eagles territory. Then this:

But there is NO excuse for just making it up.
This is my biggest qualm with the refs.

Q: Did you absolutely positively see holding?

A: Yes.

Q: Then throw the flag. Otherwise, never throw the flag.

You have look at the big picture my friend.. I believe yes going forward Mac has the ability to go to the next level. I agree with what you've said however you have to look at the bigger picture. The offense has to overcome self inflicted things . So yes, all things considered the moment, time, place, down,distance, weather, opponent, situation.

Was a crazy day week 1 all together in the NFL.
i am looking at the big picture. i am looking at a picture that's been developing for two seasons now.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back