PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts- It's the defense.....stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's nothing to fix, with Edelman and amendola, Brady will get back to getting rid of the ball in 2 seconds

The defense has had some ups and downs, but the pats would have tied it up without the defensive td

Many backups have been getting tons of reps without the pats losing their position.....as long as they get everyone they can back, I don't even care about the #1 seed

As far as the jets and their future , the OL, LB, and CB are not spring chickens and Wilkerson is likely gone

More martin and less lafell. The reason lafell was ignored was because he can't get open. Just dissapointing play from him.
LaFell was "ignored" because the Jets had him covered all the time. The Jets focused on Gronk and him. That is why Martin got free..

He was destined to be a bust the second he joined the list of 2nd round reach DBs drafted by us in the last 6 years, I'd say you're late my friend !

*note overall BB is a very good drafter but this particular type of selection, the reach DB, has occurred so often that it's just become a comical waste of resources

You were one of the ones calling Logan Ryan a bust. Same with Duron Harmon. How's that working out for you?

SMH..

LaFell was "ignored" because the Jets had him covered all the time. The Jets focused on Gronk and him. That is why Martin got free..
J

That's on him. The jets play alot of man coverage. He has to beat coverage. He was on cromartie. People make excuses for him. He was coming off a decent game. This offense would be alot better when he gets involved. He was a big part last year in the playoffs.

The glaring omission in this thread was our third down conversion rate- 1 out of 10. This is by and large a byproduct of not having Amendola or Edelman on the field.

Neither Martin or Harper were really respected and this allowed them to double down on or cheat to Gronk and Lafell where possible.

I think that the third down conversion rate is more indicative of the play calling and coaching than anything else. The Jets were all over the swing passes and screens, yet that was the play-call coming in. The other dumb call was the deep throws on 3rd down with the O-line not getting any help from the TEs. I really feel that McDaniels didn't put the offense in the best position to succeed consistently yesterday..

The Jets really didn't have an answer for James White yet the Pats didn't go to him enough, imho. Instead of sending White out wide, sending him into the slot and having him run the routes that Amendola or Edelman run would be better options.

That's on him. The jets play alot of man coverage. He has to beat coverage. He was on cromartie. People make excuses for him. He was coming off a decent game. This offense would be alot better when he gets involved. He was a big part last year in the playoffs.

As someone else pointed out, LaFell was playing injured.. Kinda hard to beat coverage when you're playing with an injured foot. Also, need to remember that the #2 CB tends to get help from the safety..

You were one of the ones calling Logan Ryan a bust. Same with Duron Harmon. How's that working out for you?

SMH..

go find me a post where I called Ryan and Harmon a bust, I barely post about draft issues since I don't care as I noted on the whole Bb is a great drafter.

In fact I said last offseason to let McCourty walk and let Duron take over that's how highly I think of him.

Regarding point #1, I think the OL began regressing when Stork came off IR DtR.

Not putting it on Stork, but last year, he had two seasoned vets - Wendell and Connolly - surrounding him and probably helping a lot on the calls. he didn't get a lot of work with Mason and Jackson.

So keep Andrews at center and move Stork around in the current configuration. Andrews isn't huge and can get pushed around, but he peels off one assignment to get to the free rusher as well as anyone I've seen.*

* - I admit that i know little of OL play and blocking schemes...it just looks to my untrained eye that there was less confusion with Andrews in there, even with everyone else rotating around him.

No, the Defense did do its job. It held the Jet to 20 points despite being thoroughly banged up. They played their hearts out for a full 60 minutes; and had nothing left afterwards...

I'd frame that as they held the Jets to 13 more points than they themselves scored. Framed that way, it was a good day ...

... before OT.

Early in the BB/Brady era, they didn't just have a run of Brady winning his first 10 playoff games; he also had quite a streak of winning in OT. I think it was his first 7 OT games or thereabout. I miss that.

There's a reason for the defense's lackluster performance

The same exact reason for the OL's poor play - communication and continuity. Knowing what and where the other guys are going to be on the majority of plays versus guessing. Making the adjustment ON THE FLY during the snap count. Adjusting protection and having everyone execute in a stadium so loud you can't hear the call.

We take these things for granted given the depth of this team over the years - but eventually you reach a point where the other guys are now better than you in BOTH skill AND execution because of those changes. Better in only one - Pats usually win. Better in both, Pats almost always dominate. Worse in both - Pats are merely competitive.

In a word.....yes.

Agree.

I'll counter with two words: Patrick Chung.

A similar career trajectory for Richards would not be out of the realm of not just possible, but likely.

Regarding point #1, I think the OL began regressing when Stork came off IR DtR.

Not putting it on Stork, but last year, he had two seasoned vets - Wendell and Connolly - surrounding him and probably helping a lot on the calls. he didn't get a lot of work with Mason and Jackson.

So keep Andrews at center and move Stork around in the current configuration. Andrews isn't huge and can get pushed around, but he peels off one assignment to get to the free rusher as well as anyone I've seen.*

* - I admit that i know little of OL play and blocking schemes...it just looks to my untrained eye that there was less confusion with Andrews in there, even with everyone else rotating around him.

I agree that Andrews should start at Center and Stork at Guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back