PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I want honest opinions of Steelers defense...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't specifically about the Pitt D but I'll ask it here. How many times have the Patriots played the best defense in the league? If I recall Dallas and Washington were both #1 before they played NE. Am I missing any?

I personally think how the Steelers D fairs on Sunday will be dictated by the Pats D. Yes, the Steelers D is the #1 ranked D, but the Pats are 3rd. The PPG differential is 5 in favor of the Steelers on D, on the offensive side it's almost 15 in favor of the Pats. I believe if the Pats are successful at controlling the game on defense, then it won't even be close. If they can shut down Willy and make Roth beat them, they'll take their chances. As a fan, I respect the Steeler's D, but I think it's too hard for Roth to keep up with Brady and co on the other side of the ball. The Pats D has definately shown some holes, but in the end, the Pats O against the Steelers D is a better matchup than the other way around, it's late, I hope that made sense :)

Steelers away record and stats:
Record: 2-3, .400 winning percentage
Defense stats: 91 pts allowed/18.2 pts per game
Offense 116 points scored/23.2 points per game
Opponents and (records)
34-7 @Cleveland (7-5)

14-21 @Arizona (6-6)

28-31 @ Denver (5-7).

24-13 @Cincinnati (4-8)

16-19 @ NY Jets (3-9)

Steelers road opponents records 25-35 .417 winning percentage

So on the road the Steelers play .400 ball away against .400 ball playing teams. throwing out the Cleveland blowout on opening day, , The Steelers have gone 1-3 their last 4 away games.

stats for last 4 Steelers road games:

Ave score Steelers: 20.5 Opponents: 21 ( against the Steelers #1 ranked defense)

last 4 road opponents combined record: 18- 30 .374 winning percentage. Take out the 3 wins and 1 loss against Pittsburgh and these 4 strong squads are an impressive 15-29, rough riding through the rest of the NFL at an intimidating .340 winning percentage.

That means the Steelers are playing .250 football against .340 teams on the road.

Scary stuff! Look out NE!

Last edited:
First off You have the best defensive coach in the NFL. How often does management fire the entire coaching staff and keep the D coordinator? It's incredible how consistantly good the Steelers have been againts the run the last five years or so.
The Steelers linebacker core is fast and tough. The are also very deep and the coaching staff does a exeptional job of developing young talent. They are geared toward applying pressure on the QB and on that account they are the best. The Steelers have the best NT in the NFL(sorry Vince). Hampton's solid presence allows the linebackers to do what they do best attack. Smith is a pro bowl DE and Keisal is solid.
It is hard to evaluate your DB's since I rarely seen them tested when the quaterback has time in the pocket. The main thing I gleam from watching the Steelers D is that they are best when playing with a lead. The best way to attack that D is to spread them out throw on first down when they are less likely to be blitzing. Also it is critical to mix in draw plays and screens to keep them off balance. If the Steelers know you are going to pass then watch out....O did I mention they like to hurt people

Ah here it is...

Just want to thank all Pats fans here. You guys are honest and knowlegeable.

It was enjoyble reading your posts and see what you think.

I am not into arguing because the ultimate talking is in the field.

Congrats again on your win.

I don't know enough details of Steelers games, but it seems many points they gave up were from special teams (KR/punt returns) and turnover? I recalled a fumble return for 6 in the Denver game?

Take those points out and the Steelers D is even better. We have another measure for defense that is based on scoring efficiency and susceptibility to long drives. With respect to these, Steelers are very very good. (I didn't try to rank them). Ranking #1 or #2 aren't mattered. They are meaningless since the capability of an offense or defense is multidimensional. It's like trying ranking people in totality: look, intelligence, personality, charm, integrity, friendliness ...

Let's just say that your Steelers D does look very good (even discount the Miami game) in the few that I saw.

Good luck.

I still think the Pats will put 11, 12 drives on your D, 4 TDs + 2 FGs or 3 TDs +3 FGs.

How the hell you made this call? I was thinking 4 figgies and 2 tds but never had a chance to reply. Oh well you guys win.

First off You have the best defensive coach in the NFL. How often does management fire the entire coaching staff and keep the D coordinator? It's incredible how consistantly good the Steelers have been againts the run the last five years or so.
The Steelers linebacker core is fast and tough. The are also very deep and the coaching staff does a exeptional job of developing young talent. They are geared toward applying pressure on the QB and on that account they are the best. The Steelers have the best NT in the NFL(sorry Vince). Hampton's solid presence allows the linebackers to do what they do best attack. Smith is a pro bowl DE and Keisal is solid.
It is hard to evaluate your DB's since I rarely seen them tested when the quaterback has time in the pocket. The main thing I gleam from watching the Steelers D is that they are best when playing with a lead. The best way to attack that D is to spread them out throw on first down when they are less likely to be blitzing. Also it is critical to mix in draw plays and screens to keep them off balance. If the Steelers know you are going to pass then watch out....O did I mention they like to hurt people

Right on the $. I thought our coaches knew the Pats would do this too and would adjust...:rolleyes:

How the hell you made this call? I was thinking 4 figgies and 2 tds but never had a chance to reply. Oh well you guys win.

The reason Gameday makes this call is because he is by far and away the most accurate poster around here on what really goes on statistically.

He is heads and shoulders above ANY new posters we have had in a LONG LONG time around here.

When you look at the dribble that this board has attracted lately, he is a diamond in the rough.

Yeah, I like his style, what can I say. :D

I'm almost not concerned about the Steelers defense. They will have to doubleteam Moss. They will make sure they play Stallworth tight.

That will generally leave someone open more often than not, and require them to bring a safety forward to be ready to tackle Welker and Gaffney.

So I expect the Pats will be able to complete enough passes to give us enough points to win. It's just a question of how the defense plays, and whether our tired LBs and an overworked secondary can respond to a running game that will keep their attention and a QB who can get the ball downfield accurately enough to exploit the fact that the Pats will be concerned about Parker.

If the LBs and DBs can dig down and muster the energy for this game they'll have a much easier time for the next two, so I suspect they'll find what they need. Pressure on the line is a big thing as well.

So its really a question of how well the Patriots D plays that stands to affect the outcome of this game to me - no disrespect meant to the Steelers D - they'll pressure Brady etc. and likely get some hits in but that's to be expected and I don't expect that will dictate the outcome of the game.

Since I'm usually wrong in my predictions, this time I might as well pat myself on the back for being right.

The Steelers D was a non-issue. The Pats were able to put 30+ points on the board - and I note that even in the games that they saw a lot of pressure they still managed to put a decent number of points on the board.

What made the difference in this game was the Patriots D, making second half adjustments to shut down the Steelers offense and allowing them to pull away.

It looks pretty simple, in retrospect -- if you have personnel problems in your secondary, then your rushers have to get to the QB in a hurry. And this time of year, almost everybody has personnel problems in their secondary.

And the blitzers didn't get there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes