PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think we are in trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
As a fan , how can anyone be excited about free agency,with out a new CBA.. If it was so close what happened?? I dont want to live like I did in 82 , and in 87 ... Didnt the Nfl learn from past mistakes??? Baseball had to use Steriods to juice up thier game again.. The gloom and doom surronding the nfl is not good.. Sick of talking CBA, but how can you not help it...

Last edited:
I really think they'll get it done..you oprn a can of worms like that..and the house of cards falls apart...I agree though how can one be excited at all about it when chaos could easily be the operative word.

Either way the game goes on. We are in reasonably good shape as even with no cap we will have a little room to play nd most important,the players we already have are better than most. We will be able to cut, trim, slice & dice and come away with a team that is better positioned to compete.

In BB I trust.

Its alll been posturing for the media - the NFLPA's deadline and threats many think were orchestrated with Selig to pressure the owners

then the NFLPA eases up and some owners suggest an agreement is imminent - in the hopes that media expectations will make it so

But barring an actual agreement the "talks" "broke up" - but I don't think they ever really had an agreement

statements like "all that's left to be done is to have the owners come to an agreement" suggested to me that there never really was an agreement

82 and 87

I was so disgusted after 82 that I gave up my Pats season tickets.

I was so disgusted in 87 that I lost interest in the Pats until Parcells and Bledsoe came along.

I'm loving the Pats success and don't want anything upsetting the BB/TB applecart.

I guess whatever happens the Pats have the organization to make it work for them.

I agree with JSP, I think it'll get done. But maybe I'm just an optimist. It will be a very interesting weekend if it doesn't get done.

Pats726 said:
I really think they'll get it done..you oprn a can of worms like that..and the house of cards falls apart...I agree though how can one be excited at all about it when chaos could easily be the operative word.
Or is it that once Humpty Dumpty goes for a tumble, all the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't get the cards back in the can.

All seriousness aside, most high-stakes negotiations go to the last minute. The breathless announcements and doomsday head-shaking seem like posturing. There's so much to lose without agreement that it seems likely they'll settle this by four p.m.

OTOH, the history of high-stakes negotiations (sorry, I have better things to do than research examples) does have failures. This could be one.

Still, I expect that by the end of the day, they'll either reach agreement or sign an interim agreement to delay free agency. But maybe not.... ;)

JoeSixPat said:
Its alll been posturing for the media - the NFLPA's deadline and threats many think were orchestrated with Selig to pressure the owners

It's a conspiracy between the NFL players and MLB management...whoa... :eek:

cubedoggy said:
It's a conspiracy between the NFL players and MLB management...whoa... :eek:

That explains it. Anything with Bud Selig involved is sure to become a fiasco.

football as theatre

JoeSixPat said:
then the NFLPA eases up and some owners suggest an agreement is imminent - in the hopes that media expectations will make it so
But barring an actual agreement the "talks" "broke up" - but I don't think they ever really had an agreement
statements like "all that's left to be done is to have the owners come to an agreement" suggested to me that there never really was an agreement
it's a staring contest, that's what it is.
the difference, a large amount of money, will not affect the way either out does business. so then, It's Just A effin Number!
they agree to donate the difference, that number sitting there, jointly to charities. neither outfit gets the $. commnity bene fits.
by the way, @250 million is 4% of what?

PatsFan37 said:
Or is it that once Humpty Dumpty goes for a tumble, all the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't get the cards back in the can.

All seriousness aside, most high-stakes negotiations go to the last minute. The breathless announcements and doomsday head-shaking seem like posturing. There's so much to lose without agreement that it seems likely they'll settle this by four p.m.

OTOH, the history of high-stakes negotiations (sorry, I have better things to do than research examples) does have failures. This could be one.

Still, I expect that by the end of the day, they'll either reach agreement or sign an interim agreement to delay free agency. But maybe not.... ;)

You covered yourself pretty well there! :)

$250 million = 4% of $6.25 billion [i.e., $250M x 100 / 4 = $6,250M]

Oh God, I do NOT want to see the NFL end up like MLB where the inmates run the asylum. You may or may not like hockey but I personally feel the NHL got it right when they said: We're not going to play one more game until this is fixed. I wish the MLB owners had the balls to do the same.

Prospering in the bad times...

I like the mess in the CBA. Good well managed clubs prosper in good timesa and In BAD, times too.

The Patriots are under the cap and can add a lot of good cheap depth otherwise unavailable. For Example. how does Steve Davis sound as a backup rotation back with Cory Dillon? RB problem solved for a year or two, and done cheaply is my guess...

Last edited:
AzPatsFan said:
I like the mess in the CBA. Good well managed clubs prosper in good timesa and In BAD, times too.

The Patriots are under the cap and can add a lot of good cheap depth otherwise unavailable. For Example. how does Steve Davis sound as a backup rotation back with Cory Dillon? RB problem solved for a year or two, and done cheaply is my guess...

Ssuonds graett.

EDIT: You just barely beat me with those typo-corrections!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back