PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think Tom is serious about playing til 45, though he did say "hopefully"

Status
Not open for further replies.

StockingAnarchyNumber12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
After watching the Patriots postgame press conference, this stuck out to me: "I love being the QB of this team and hopefully I can for a long time".

I mean, who says that at 39? Most people at 39 know their time is just about up. They realize its over. We all knew Tom wanted to play for a long time, but its good to know he still wants too even though he said hopefully because you can never know.

If anybody can play til 42-45, its Tom. Guy is still in the right and healthy mindset and is playing better than ever.

History shows that it's more unlikely than it is likely. Even if Garoppolo is not the future going forward with Brady still playing like the GOAT, they'll neee his succession plan in place over the next couple of years.

History shows that it's more unlikely than it is likely. Even if Garoppolo is not the future going forward with Brady still playing like the GOAT, they'll neee his succession plan in place over the next couple of years.

Agreed on your latter and realize history is against the possibility, how many QBs have played this elite at 39 without signs of regressing? Actually, playing better? Somebody mentioned Brett Favre and I remember reading when he was 43 he went on record saying he could still play.

Agreed on your latter and realize history is against the possibility, how many QBs have played this elite at 39 without signs of regressing? Actually, playing better? Somebody mentioned Brett Favre and I remember reading when he was 43 he went on record saying he could still play.

And I remember Favre looking hobbled at 39, Elway limping around during his last two SB winning seasons, and Manning barely able to throw the ball. I could go on. I don't remember any great QB looking so spry at 39 like Brady does. I don't remember any of those guys devoting their diet and exercise routine to staying healthy the way Brady does. I don't doubt that Brady could play at a high level at 45. I hope to see it.

Last edited:
And I remember Favre looking hobbled at 39, Elway limping around during his last two SB winning seasons, and Manning barely able to throw the ball. I could go on. I don't remember any great QB looking so spry at 39 like Brady does. I don't remember any of those guys devoting their diet and exercise routine to staying heathey the way Brady does. I don't doubt that Brady could play at a high level at 45. I hope to see it.
Didn't Favre have a MVP season or close to it at 40?

And I remember Favre looking hobbled at 39, Elway limping around during his last two SB winning seasons, and Manning barely able to throw the ball. I could go on. I don't remember any great QB looking so spry at 39 like Brady does. I don't remember any of those guys devoting their diet and exercise routine to staying heathey the way Brady does. I don't doubt that Brady could play at a high level at 45. I hope to see it.

Manning's decline was ugly, although I wonder how much injuries had to do with it. Elway missed a few games that last season, but he was still playing at a pretty high level. He finished the season with his highest career RAT of 93.0, and had a combined 49 TDs vs. 21 INTs those last 2 seasons.

Favre's 39th year was with the Jets, and he was playing hurt after his 11th game. Look at the splits before the injury though. 8-3, 70.6% completion, 20 TDs, 13 INTs, 94.1 RAT before vs. 1-4, 56%, 2 TDs, 9 INTs, 55.2 RAT. But he would bounce back to make the Pro Bowl at age 40. The wheels came off at 41, but part of that was Favre announced it was his last season so I doubt he was really doing the things he needed to do to be at least a bit more competent.

So it really does come down to health more than anything, and I think Brady can actually do it. For one thing, he's not relying on extreme athleticism like Rodgers, who seems to have lost a half step which is juuuuuuuust enough to return to being a mortal.

Brady's game is intellectual, and the bread and butter of the offense doesn't require a huge arm but rather accuracy, which won't fade as quickly as arm strength. He also likely won't face a major coaching/system change like Manning did at the end. I think Manning's end would have been ugly regardless, but the system change probably exacerbated the issues.

45 might be pushing it, but I expect him to play out his current contract at a high level. And many people have gone broke betting against that 6th-round, 4th-string QB. I won't be betting against him.

Of course he's serious about it. The one thing you can say about Brady on this subject is that he is consistent about it. Take a look at this video I dug up MCIing his thoughts.

Now compare that to his thoughts EXACTLY a year ago at this time:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/02/01/magazine/tom-brady-cannot-stop.html?_r=0&referer=

“I’d like to play a long time,” he said. “There’s a lot that goes into playing well. I’ve played with a lot of great teammates. But I want to play for a long time, maybe 10 more years. I think that’s probably what my goal is. …

“It’s not always up to me. That’s what my goals are, so that’s just what I’m hoping. And it will take a lot to achieve that. Obviously, a team has to want you, but love playing this sport. I love making a commitment to my teammates and my coaches, and hopefully I can do it for a long time.”

Like the video said, with everything that he does physically to stay in shape, it's what's happening between the ears that will really keep him sharp and fresh. Other guys who have played at this level have had their decision-making skills dwindle at this age, but his has gotten better WITH age. Aa has been said above, I'm inclined to believe someone with as much consistency and with as much history behind him like Brady when it comes to this.

If Brady is coming out at 48 playing for his 7th ring in a Superbowl I'd be absolutely stoked. Its hard to believe anybody could play remotely good at 48 though.

If anyone can do it....it's him.

Unfortunately history is not on his side

Didn't Favre have a MVP season or close to it at 40?
And he completely fell apart the next year. I want Brady to play as long as he can but, most of the time, the heart is willing while the body is unable to keep up. Father Time is undefeated.

The thing that differentiates Brady from many of those others, is the hits taken. Brady, with few exceptions, has not really been beaten up badly. People forget that Montana would also scramble, as would Elway. Montana also took some monster hits and had lots of injuries. Players like Farve and Big-Ben try to stretch plays out to the very end and take big hits. That will cost them in the long run.

Manning just had a freak injury. I had fully expected both Brady and Manning to be playing till they are 45.

I will go out on a limb and say that Brady will play until he is 45 and play at a high level.

Favre's 39th year was with the Jets, and he was playing hurt after his 11th game. Look at the splits before the injury though. 8-3, 70.6% completion, 20 TDs, 13 INTs, 94.1 RAT before vs. 1-4, 56%, 2 TDs, 9 INTs, 55.2 RAT. But he would bounce back to make the Pro Bowl at age 40. The wheels came off at 41, but part of that was Favre announced it was his last season so I doubt he was really doing the things he needed to do to be at least a bit more competent.

For all the retirement drama, Favre was a physical freak. The guy was in a car accident in college, had 30 inches of his small intestine removed, and returned 6 weeks later to start in his college football game. I remember the Pats game in 2006 when the Pats knocked him out to be replaced by Rodgers, who himself was put on IR with a broken foot, and then Favre returns (I thought it was a separated shoulder but apparently it was an elbow issue). I expect Favre and Big Ben will have a similar long list of injuries, but Favre never went down. Cumulatively, those injuries should end a career quickly, as appears to be the likely case with Ben, but Favre stuck around. I never heard Favre was an offseason workout and diet freak. Just a physical freak in terms of weathering damage.

Brady does not put his head down and drive into hits. He appears to have embraced a fairly unique diet and exercise regime. He has modified how he trains and prepares for the season with age, acknowledging you cannot do at 35 what you do at 20. Favre had a strong enough arm that he could dislocate receiver fingers with the velocity, so presumably he could lose significant velocity and still have enough to get the job done when older. Brady is more known for quick and accurate short and intermediate passing, so even if his arm wears a bit it would appear possible to compensate for any losses while still making the passes.

Who knows how long Brady's story goes, but I don't know if history is the best indicator in predicting that end by age because there has been nothing like him in NFL history, from start to finish. Here's hoping this is just one more unpleasant surprise for the NFL.

Without the neck problems, the Forehead would still be playing. Barring injury, age will eventually get Tommy boy, sometime before mid 40s.

Probably should trade Jimmy and get several picks. Get another decent heir apparent on a rookie contract. Tom is still too good for Jimmy to be the heir just because of timing.

And I remember Favre looking hobbled at 39, Elway limping around during his last two SB winning seasons, and Manning barely able to throw the ball. I could go on. I don't remember any great QB looking so spry at 39 like Brady does. I don't remember any of those guys devoting their diet and exercise routine to staying healthy the way Brady does. I don't doubt that Brady could play at a high level at 45. I hope to see it.
His GOAT status is already solidified. However, could you imagine if he played for 23 seasons or some crazy number like that, and added 2 or more additional Super Bowls? I just want it to piss off the haters as much as possible. Not just 6 or 7 more years but for him to be amazing the rest of the way too.

I want him to outlast great QBs who started after him.. (Rodgers, Ben, Brees.. Luck :) )

Probably should trade Jimmy and get several picks. Get another decent heir apparent on a rookie contract. Tom is still too good for Jimmy to be the heir just because of timing.
I agree. Brady is still playing like the GOAT. You don't trade the GOAT when he's playing like that still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft