PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I hate this stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger44

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
This offseaason is the worst ever. We should have gone out and spent millions of our cap on overated vets who are out of gas but will break the bank. I hate this "think of the future thing" and signing Seymour for 4 years. We could have had Arrington for much more money and a bigger attitude. We should have signed TO instead of now need to negotiate with branch. TO deserves our 16 mil cap space all in himself. I propose we go and sign every Poston client there is so we can be like the Skins and toss around our checkbook. The methods employed this offseason are just not fair to the fans. BB and SP have no right to do this to us. lol.

Digger44 said:
This offseaason is the worst ever. We should have gone out and spent millions of our cap on overated vets who are out of gas but will break the bank. I hate this "think of the future thing" and signing Seymour for 4 years. We could have had Arrington for much more money and a bigger attitude. We should have signed TO instead of now need to negotiate with branch. TO deserves our 16 mil cap space all in himself. I propose we go and sign every Poston client there is so we can be like the Skins and toss around our checkbook. The methods employed this offseason are just not fair to the fans. BB and SP have no right to do this to us. lol.
I think you have covered most of it.

Digger's right. We've come to ruin. We lost a kicker. A KICKER! Plus a number two receiver, and that O-Line guy. The sky is falling and we haven't done a daggone thing to fix it. We keep picking up guys who don't cost a lot, hungry to prove themselves, when we could pick up guys who proved themselves years ago. Then sometimes those guys don't pan out and we're out a million bucks in cap space. What about getting a proven talent for ten times the cash?!?!?!?!?? I mean, since he's a proven talent, even if he doesn't pan out, we can proudly state his name as a reason we'll win the East this year, and finally catch up with Miami.

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

PatsFanInVa said:
Digger's right. We've come to ruin. We lost a kicker. A KICKER! Plus a number two receiver, and that O-Line guy. The sky is falling and we haven't done a daggone thing to fix it. We keep picking up guys who don't cost a lot, hungry to prove themselves, when we could pick up guys who proved themselves years ago. Then sometimes those guys don't pan out and we're out a million bucks in cap space. What about getting a proven talent for ten times the cash?!?!?!?!?? I mean, since he's a proven talent, even if he doesn't pan out, we can proudly state his name as a reason we'll win the East this year, and finally catch up with Miami.

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

Oh noooooo we forgot Mangini the defensive guru. How could we ever expect to win with the highest paid DE and no def coord? Ya know what I think? The FO has so many serious issues. It has to be the FO. Kraft is just too tight to spend any money so now I doubt that RS agreed to the Vet min offered.

Digger44 said:
Oh noooooo we forgot Mangini the defensive guru. How could we ever expect to win with the highest paid DE and no def coord? Ya know what I think? The FO has so many serious issues. It has to be the FO. Kraft is just too tight to spend any money so now I doubt that RS agreed to the Vet min offered.

I heard Kraft is planning to underspend by 20 mil a year because he has other investments he is going to funnel Pats money to, and he sat Seymour down and said "Look here, meat tank, you want another ring or don't you?" Seymour replied "I never really looked at it that way, Boss," and got all embarassed, causing him to take the deal.

My uncle's barber's wife knows Kraft's son's podiatrist. Trust me on this one.

As a result of the deal, fourteen separate NFL pro-bowlers are planning a joint press conference to have all FAs boycott the Pats for a period of five years, the news wires just haven't heard this yet. Same source.

I dont hate how they've handled this off season. I'd have let Vinataeri go if he was asking for so much money. What about Givens and McGinnest wanting quite a lot of dough. We cant keep everyone. They arent making big splash's in this off season on one or two players to sign them to huge deals. Throwing away cap space for two very good players perhaps. They arent ever likely to pay a player a lot. And thats not a stupid idea. We'll have a stronger team signing and re signing plenty of solid players for most of the positions. Or we could get one or two very big free agent signings and pay them a lot, but not keep quite a few of those solid players who will keep the team balanced. They havent done a ton this off season but they got Brown and Neal to return. Neal is a big signing for the O Line. We did get Reche Caldwell and perhaps that isnt so fantastic as to having Givens still. But in the draft which I am sure the Patriots will have a very good draft, they will get players for the positions they need. They can take one of the running backs in the first round, we can get some DB's perhaps a WR and a few other positions that we need more players in. They've got something like six picks in the first four rounds. Hell, who says we couldnt get a jem in one of the later rounds. Some of the draft picks in previous years have turned out to be pretty good, regardless of what round they were picked in. HAHA, I cant believe you just brought up Arrington and TO on the Pats? BB isnt ever gonna spend the money they want to get them. You need to be friggin patient see how some of the younger players turn out before you get all pissed that we arent signing these greedy veterans asking for big bucks. Let the teams who have some star power but not a solid overall team at every position. Look at our draft picks over the year, Branch, Givens, Samuel, Wilson, Watson, Graham, Klecko, Wilfork, Hobbs, Mankinds and I'm sure plenty others. With good coaches, and some veterans and captains will really turn them into good players over the years. Most of those guys have done pretty damn good since being drafted by the Pats.

Overall solid team > A few star powered greedy veterans.

I'm a firm believer that it's never as good as it seems (though with 4 recent championships that's ringing a little hollow) or as bad as it seems.

With that said, people seem to be going overboard with "I told you's" in response to recent events.

I'm not generally either a doomsayer or a bandwagon trumpeteer (Libra the balance) so here is what I think...

On the Dark Side:
We have a question mark at K. We are thin and have some age at LB. We have age and health issues at RB. Our best DB is getting old and is coming off a severe injury. The depth in the secondary has been dealt with but the quality of the starters is up in the air a bit. We are thin at WR. We have lost top quality veteran coaches and the quality of the replacements is yet to be determined. Our special teams have deteriated enough that they are seemingly being rebuilt.

Keep on the Sunny Side:
We have a great QB, a top notch DL, a solid OL, excellent RB's (if healthy), playmaking veteran LB's, a pair of good young TE's, a core of good young players overall, and probably the best coach/GM combo in the league who have had some excellent drafts.

There is a lot to worry about if you are so inclined. There is also every chance that with a fruitful draft and some luck with the free agent signings that there is nothing to worry about.

But just as it was foolish to be too critical in Feb and March it is also foolish to get too excited about signing Seymour to an extension in April. After all this doesn't make the 2006 Patriots better since we already had him anyway. In fact a pessimist might say that this signing potentially makes the Patriots worse if the contract replaces his original deal.

Seymour in 2006 will most likely be a very similar player to the Seymour we saw in 2005. Only we'll be paying him 6 million more a year. Which means of course that we won't have as much money for other players.

Whether it helps the 2007 Patriots is another matter. It probably does but that's too far away and too much could happen to determine yet.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm glad we signed him. I'm just trying to keep it all in perspective.

Shhhh... not too loud. Miami fans will start showing up and telling us how much worse we've gotten.

Just Digger channeling Borges again. Should have ended with "how the H**L am I going to get a column out of this @#$% team?"

CrazyDave said:
Shhhh... not too loud. Miami fans will start showing up and telling us how much worse we've gotten.

And they just hired Fumblina, AKA The Hurtmaster General.

It's shaping up to be a dogfight...

Burgess said:
it is also foolish to get too excited about signing Seymour to an extension in April. After all this doesn't make the 2006 Patriots better since we already had him anyway.
You are very wrong here. Extending the best DT in the NFL, keeping him on your team for four additional years, is cause for excitement and celebration.

The team showing it is not locked into any single philosophy, but will do what it thinks best to win, is cause for celebration.

The loss of AV and Givens is nothing compared to the loss that would have occurred had we not extended Seymour.

2006 would have been an ugly year if Seymour hadn't been extended. We would have had to listen to Borges and Felger whine and complain all year.

spacecrime said:
You are very wrong here. Extending the best DT in the NFL, keeping him on your team for four additional years, is cause for excitement and celebration.

I'm not wrong here, there, or anywhere. So there. (and I'm not putting a dumb smiley here to show you i'm kidding - you'll just have to figure that out for yourself).

By the way. I never said it wasn't worth celebrating. I merely said keep it in perspective. There is a downside to match the upside. For instance, neither AV or Givens were signed. If Seymour hadn't needed to be the highest paid DL in football would the Pats have had more willingness to try to sign one or the other? Perhaps.

spacecrime said:
The team showing it is not locked into any single philosophy, but will do what it thinks best to win, is cause for celebration.

Actually this move does follow their established philosophy. They don't automatically allow all their players to leave - just the ones who outprice their market and can be replaced by cheaper alternatives. The ones who can be signed at or below market (or can't be replaced easily) are kept. Hence Woody, Milloy, Law and others go and Brady, Light, Bruschi and others remain.

spacecrime said:
The loss of AV and Givens is nothing compared to the loss that would have occurred had we not extended Seymour.

2006 would have been an ugly year if Seymour hadn't been extended. We would have had to listen to Borges and Felger whine and complain all year.

What makes you think that Borges won't still whine and complain? I'm sure he'll find something else to fault Belichick over.

Originally Posted by CrazyDave

PatsFanInVa said:
And they just hired Fumblina, AKA The Hurtmaster General.

It's shaping up to be a dogfight...

I just hope the Patriots can stay close to Saban's Dolphins most of the season ...
steal a wild card ...
and give someone a good game in the first round.

flutie2phelan said:

I just hope the Patriots can stay close to Saban's Dolphins most of the season ...
steal a wild card ...

Oh yeah. Ricky Williams sets a high standard.

flutie2phelan said:

steal a wild card ...

It's taken me all too long to separate the wheat from the chaff, but this cinches it.... How can I join the flutie2phelan Fan Club? Give someone a good game in the first round --- I'm still smiling.:rofl:

shakadave said:
It's taken me all too long to separate the wheat from the chaff, but this cinches it.... How can I join the flutie2phelan Fan Club? Give someone a good game in the first round --- I'm still smiling.:rofl:

Be witty and idiosyncratic, but always kind and generous -- and post in a funny color. :D

The bottom line is how many wins do you think this team will have in early January?? My guess is minimally 10 and most likely 12, while I have watched all the folks teeter on the edge of the bridge, never believed for one minute that this team would not be competitive when the season opens. We all know better and as BB says every team looses some players to FA every year. For us we know that they will meet the challenge and somehow restock this team.

GJAJ15 said:
The bottom line is how many wins do you think this team will have in early January??

Unless you're a 'Phins fan. Then the bottom line is how many losses don't you have in early April.

"It's the most wonderful time of the year..."

PFnV

spacecrime said:

I totally agree Borges..Felger..Cafardo..they would be heaping all kinds of nonsense about..nothing at all compared to losing AV, Willie and DGiv.

jczxohn1 said:
Just Digger channeling Borges again. Should have ended with "how the H**L am I going to get a column out of this @#$% team?"

Let me see if I got this right. Before the deal, wRONg B. was asking why they haven't done the deal..Now that it's done, I expect a column or two on why

1) The Pats overpaid for Seymour
2) The Pats underpaid for Seymour and are taking advantage of him
3) The deal will disrupt the salary structure of the team causing dissension.
4) Why didn't they do this deal years ago.....
5) They could have (and should have drafted) David Terrell instead (oops couldn't resist that one)
6)Now that he has the big contract, RS won't play as hard...
7) RS and his people made the deal happen in spite of BB, Pioli and Kraft......
8) It's the coach's fault, no matter what the issue is.......
That may have covered it though I hope I didn't give him any ideas.
Take your pick, he's predictable in finding the glass half empty since he poured the top half out.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes