PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I count 61 players + 5 ERFA's + 9 Free agents

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We end with a roster of 53 players plus 10 on IR or 63 players. We added 12 future contract players for a total of 75 players.

We have 5 ERFA's who will almost assuredly be signed.

That leaves 9 free agents.
======
So, I count 66 players, some of which might be cut from the IR before really becoming part of the 2015 team.
I shouldn't really count Revis since there is almost no chance of him playing under his current contract, so call it 65 players 10 who need a new contract or they will be free agents.

10 FREE AGENTS
Aiken
Ayers
Casillas
Branch
Connolly
Gostkowski
McCourty
Ridley
Vereen
White
===========
There are roster decisions to be made before March 10 (pay bonuses or guarantee salaries)
Revis
Wilfork
Browner
Gronkowksi
Ninkovich
Solder
Vollmer
=========
A decision with regard to Amendola might be made by then to free up cap space. Other restructures could happen, perhaps Mayo.
========================
And now the wait until March 11th.

Last edited:
Alan Branch is also a free agent.

I think Amendola earned another year with his late season production.

Danny Aiken, not Branch, is the free agent that you are missing

Dobson isn't coming back, right????

I think Amendola earned another year with his late season production.
Perhaps Amendola should be retained, but not at his contracted compensation of $4.5M for his 2015 services.

Miguel has provided several restructure alternatives. At very least his cap hit should be cut by $2.1M, the amount that we would save by cutting him. An straightforward way to reduce DA's cap hit is a combination of a reduction in salary and converting salary to NLTBE incentives.

Dobson isn't coming back, right????
Let's be fair and give him one more camp to show something. I know society doesn't work slow anymore but some guys develop slower than others. 3 years isn't that long for young players. Where was Ninko 3 years into his career? Or Troy? Or plenty other examples.

We end with a roster of 53 players plus 10 on IR or 63 players. We added 12 future contract players for a total of 75 players.

We have 5 ERFA's who will almost assuredly be signed.

That leaves 9 free agents.
======
So, I count 66 players, some of which might be cut from the IR before really becoming part of the 2015 team.
I shouldn't really count Revis since there is almost no chance of him playing under his current contract, so call it 65 players 10 who need a new contract or they will be free agents.

10 FREE AGENTS
Aiken
Ayers
Casillas
Branch
Connolly
Gostkowski
McCourty
Ridley
Vereen
White
===========
There are roster decisions to be made before March 10 (pay bonuses or guarantee salaries)
Revis
Wilfork
Browner
Gronkowksi
Ninkovich
Solder
Vollmer
=========
A decision with regard to Amendola might be made by then to free up cap space. Other restructures could happen, perhaps Mayo.
========================
And now the wait until March 11th.

Defending the Lombardi trophy is the goal for 2015. Where do these guys fit in that defense as either best at their position or core player in their position group vs important to try to keep or expendable? Three groups emerge for me looking at the 17 players who are free agents or who must be be dealt with, all have earned a roster spot.

Of the 17, seven strike me as critical for 2015 to defend the title - Gronkowski, Revis, Solder, Vollmer, Ninkovich, McCourty and Gostkowski. Clearly, the Revis deal is the first domino that must fall before the other pieces become clear. (Only McCourty and Gostkowski are free agents and one will get tagged.)

Tier two of this group, (key player but replaceable for less money) it would seem to me, are Vereen, Wilfork, Browner, Connolly and Ayers. (Ayers and Vereen, at the right money can give the Patriots multiple years of service. Vince, Connolly and Browner are at the end of the line, and are probably gone.)

Tier three (nice if we could keep them, but life will go on) Aiken, Casillas, Branch, Ridley and White.

Browner and Vereen jump off the list as being high value players worthy of two- or three-year deals at very affordable salary/guaranteed money deals. They raise questions like, where is Browner's deal in relation to Revis' contract. Browner becomes the marquee CB on the Patriots if Revis walks.

Vereen is a unique back to me. He is the 2015 version of Kevin Faulk with more speed outside the numbers but less of a threat rushing on short yardage. He seems tougher to replace through the draft or free agency than anybody in tier two or three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes