PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hybrid SuperBeast!! Patriots Merge 2004, 2007, & 2010 Offenses!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might become physically aroused if I were to see both Ridley & Vereen/Woody in the backfield

Uhhh...

OK.

Now...Nobody's judging you, Brother Stone...
th_coffee.gif

But I think I speak for all of us ~ rare though that be ~ in saying that I'd be eternally grateful if you'd make a strong effort to keep such observations to yourself for the foreseeable future.
spock.gif

Great article, and worth emphasizing some of the key points:

First it was with Wes Welker, Randy Moss, and a pass-happy shotgun spread offense. More recently, with Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, the offense became a two–tight end–based attack. With Gronkowski set to miss the rest of the playoffs, and Ridley and Vereen continuing to improve, the Patriots appear to be evolving again, this time relying on two running backs. Throw in three different offensive coordinators — Charlie Weis, Josh McDaniels, and Bill O'Brien — and it seems that the only constant in New England, other than Belichick and Brady, has been change.

But what's allowed New England to maintain its success among the shifts is that its quarterback and coach aren't the only things that have remained the same. The core of the Patriots' offensive system has been threaded through its various stages, both stabilizing the transitions and allowing the next evolution. The design and organization of New England's system is better suited than any other to adapt to an NFL game in which change — of personnel, of trends, of schemes — is the only certainty.

Given this analysis of the Pats' offense is built to adapt, the next question is ... what are we likely to see NEXT? We still haven't seen the offense with all of it's current pieces healthy, not to mention a true vertical threat WR like we had with Moss. I'm sure we're not done seeing wrinkles out of this hybrid superbeast.

Uhhh...

OK.

Now...Nobody's judging you, Brother Stone...
th_coffee.gif

But I think I speak for all of us ~ rare though that be ~ in saying that I'd be eternally grateful if you'd make a strong effort to keep such observations to yourself for the foreseeable future.
spock.gif

If we somehow pull out a win on Sunday, I will explode with ecstacy...

If we somehow pull out a win on Sunday, I will explode with ecstacy...

So, out of curiosity - and seriously, without any rancor intended - do you still feel the same way about the offense in general and vs. the Ravens as you did 4 months ago?

What a thread full of Fail.

This offensive OL sux; the QB has become gun-shy; we have only one RB worth two poops;
our most versatile player is gone for 2 months; and our best WR is being "taught a lesson"
rather than being put in the best position to catch passes.

Otherwise, as John McKay would say, we're in great shape.

Get ready for another, ahem, stumble tonight, as in being shut out (or until the Murderers decide
that it's no longer worth their bother to try to stop them from scoring a few garbage-time points.)

Just curious as to whether your views have changed, after 17 games and 598 points.

Last edited:
Captain Stone's Famous Quotes:

1 ~ "What a thread full of Fail."

2 ~ "This offensive OL sux"

3 ~ "the QB has become gun-shy"

4 ~ "we have only one RB worth two poops"

5 ~ "Otherwise, as John McKay would say, we're in great shape."

Just curious as to whether your views have changed, after 17 games and 598 points.

ohnoyoudidntf.jpg

So, out of curiosity - and seriously, without any rancor intended - do you still feel the same way about the offense in general and vs. the Ravens as you did 4 months ago?

You'll have my answer at 10pm Sunday night.

Until then, I feel that nothing is guaranteed in this game, at any position.

Brady sux worse against B'more than against any other team in football.

The RBs gained < 3 yards/pc in the Week 3 loss.

Gronk & Edelman won't play, though Hernandez will.

Maybe the OL will play better than it did last time, but maybe it won't.

And this is all ass-uming, of course, that the offense commits zero turnovers.

I believe we now have our answer.

They are who I thought they were.

Edit: Sorry, too depressed to post at 10pm last night.

It's become increasingly clear the style of offense this team plays isnt physical enough.

It needs physical superiority in terms or height, speed, and strength.

If the way the offense has disappeared the past 5 years hasn't been proof, i don't know what is.

Well, last night BB wasn't trying to win the war. He was worried about his flanks, and we all saw the results. As is the case every single time we get into these positions.

It's become increasingly clear the style of offense this team plays isnt physical enough.

It needs physical superiority in terms or height, speed, and strength.

If the way the offense has disappeared the past 5 years hasn't been proof, i don't know what is.

14, 14, 21, 17 and 13.

That's the number of points put up by our offense as they lost in the playoffs in 2007 (SB), 2009, 2010, 2011 (SB) and 2012 (AFCCG). Every single one of those losses either came at home or in the Super Bowl. Four of those five years the offense put up over 500 points, and the 2007 and 2012 offenses put up over 550 points and were 2 of the top 3 scoring offenses in modern history. Each time they lost to a more physical team: the Giants in 2007 and 2011, the Ravens in 2009 and 2012, and the Jets in 2010. It seems clear that teams that play a certain kind of style create problems for the Patriots, as the Steelers did in 2011 when they got physical with the Patriots during the regular season. All 5 of those games were games in which the Pats were unable or unwilling to establish the running game effectively.

It does seem like something is lacking against the more physical teams, whether it's more physical receivers (obviously Gronk would have helped yesterday) or a more physical presence on the OL.

14, 13, 21, 17 and 13.

That's the number of points put up by our offense as they lost in the playoffs in 2007 (SB), 2009, 2010, 2011 (SB) and 2012 (AFCCG). Every single one of those losses either came at home or in the Super Bowl. Four of those five years the offense put up over 500 points, and the 2007 and 2012 offenses put up over 550 points and were 2 of the top 3 scoring offenses in modern history. Each time they lost to a more physical team: the Giants in 2007 and 2011, the Ravens in 2009 and 2012, and the Jets in 2010. It seems clear that teams that play a certain kind of style create problems for the Patriots, as the Steelers did in 2011 when they got physical with the Patriots during the regular season. All 5 of those games were games in which the Pats were unable or unwilling to establish the running game effectively.

It does seem like something is lacking against the more physical teams, whether it's more physical receivers (obviously Gronk would have helped yesterday) or a more physical presence on the OL.

It could be both the O-line and the receivers, we love our smurfs, and we can put up great numbers in the regular season but can't hammer it home against tough defenses. This is another reason I'd like an honest to God FULLBACK to help pound out that 3rd and 2 instead of the dumb pass they chose.

3 Super Bowl wins = SPYGATE. Cheaters are eventually exposed; Barry Bonds, Lance Armstrong, etc. It's much more difficult to win when you don't have the edge that you had in the past. There is an asterisk attached to the Patriots rings. It's over.

Brandon Lloyd is a soft receiver who goes down after making a catch. Welker is a trooper but he doesn't have the size to lay out or jump up and make catches. His hands also aren't as reliable as they once were, when he first got here he rarely dropped a pass but over the last couple of seasons these drops have become more frequent, and at the most inopportune moments.

I feel bad for him but this team needs more physical receivers ala Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith. Receviers who can box out defenders and make receptions down the field. Outside of Gronk we have no one who can do any of that adequately.

14, 14, 21, 17 and 13.

That's the number of points put up by our offense as they lost in the playoffs in 2007 (SB), 2009, 2010, 2011 (SB) and 2012 (AFCCG). Every single one of those losses either came at home or in the Super Bowl.

What makes these low point totals stand out is that is that the Patriots had leading offenses in those years. They weren't Baltimore of 2000. Yes, time of possession, field position, injuries can be discussed as factors in those losses. But it certainly points to a failure of offensive planning and adjustments.

The reliance on smurfs because Brady is accurate enough to hit them in the numbers is killing this team.

A few are okay, but let's look at the receiving options:

WW: Slot Machine - cant make those outside catches in the air consistently.

Edelman: A little more physical on the outside (see last Ravens game in week 3) but still not going to overpower anyone. Fast though.

Vereen: Short, strong, fast but virtually no jumping ability demonstrated.

Woodhead: Same as Vereen.

Lloyd: can jump, just is too weak to deal with physical press. Leaping abilities more useful to catch an errant pass rather than over a CB.

Hernandez: Can jump a bit, decent size, but easily rattled! Alligator arms and is afraid of contact.

Gronkowski: Tall, strong, and everything we need more of.

1/7.

It could be both the O-line and the receivers, we love our smurfs, and we can put up great numbers in the regular season but can't hammer it home against tough defenses. This is another reason I'd like an honest to God FULLBACK to help pound out that 3rd and 2 instead of the dumb pass they chose.

Bingo.

Those 2nd- & 3rd-short calls were puzzy-shyte, arrogant, finesse garbage. Yet they called for them again,
and again, and again...and failed, again, and again, and again.

Unless & until an honest-to-Gash, lead-blocking, ass-kickin' FB is developed or signed, all this talk about
balancing the offense & establishing the run is nothing more than lip service to placate the masses.

Bingo.

Those 2nd- & 3rd-short calls were puzzy-shyte, arrogant, finesse garbage. Yet they called for them again,
and again, and again...and failed, again, and again, and again.

Unless & until an honest-to-Gash, lead-blocking, ass-kickin' FB is developed or signed, all this talk about
balancing the offense & establishing the run is nothing more than lip service to placate the masses.

Hopefully Spencer Larsen sticks around

SuperBeast??

Evidently not. :mad:

Domination is defined by what one does in the Depths of Winter.

But wrong though I certainly was, I was light years closer than Stoney's whining, bleating, "The Sky Is Falling" wailing & gnashing of teeth, let's be clear about that!!
jester.gif

*My one greatest stated concern, from Day 1 ~ indeed, for as long as I've been around these parts ~ has been the O Line and our Depth of Talent at Defensive Tackle...and therein, above all, lied our failure, Sunday:

The Grizzlies.

It All Starts In The Trenches, Baby.

Always has.

Always will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes