PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How today's market affects Seymour...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
As we look at the numbers, flying in fast and furious, what do we think? So far Anthony Weaver, the ex-Raven-now-Panther-whose-name-I-can't-recall, Trevor Pryce and Gerard Warren have gotten deals ranging from 6 years 36 mill to somewhere around 5 years, 25-ish mill.

Where does this leave us with #93?

I think he'll eventually sign a deal - with us or with someone else down-the-line - averaging somewhere between 7 and 8 million per season. Is this acceptable to you? I think it's one of those close-your-eyes-and-do-it contracts. The kind you give to absolute no-brainer FRANCHISE PLAYERS like Brady and Seymour. I think he's worth it.

What do you guys think? Did today's deals make it much less likely to sign Seymour? The knee-jerk reaction is to freak out at the money and get all pi$$ed off. I think it might be okay.

Last edited:
Warren was paid 36 million because he is great at tying up the Ol. We all know the havoc Seymour brings to the line as well as altering many QB throws. 7 or 8 Million doesn't seem unreasonable unless you don't have it to spend.

So I agree with you totally...the chances of us replacing him are slim and none. We would have to tank a season to even attempt it.

Seymour, Brady, and a good healthy back like Dillon can take a team a long way each and every year...especially when you have the likes of Belichick & Scarnechhia on your staff.

Last edited:
patsox23 said:
As we look at the numbers, flying in fast and furious, what do we think? So far Anthony Weaver, the ex-Raven-now-Panther-whose-name-I-can't-recall, Trevor Pryce and Gerard Warren have gotten deals ranging from 6 years 36 mill to somewhere around 5 years, 25-ish mill.

Where does this leave us with #93?

I think he'll eventually sign a deal - with us or with someone else down-the-line - averaging somewhere between7 and 8 million per season. Is this acceptable to you? I think it's one of those close-your-eyes-and-do-it contracts. The kind you give to absolute no-brainer FRANCHISE PLAYERS like Brady and Seymour. I think he's worth it.

What do you guys think? Did today's deals make it much less likely to sign Seymour? The knee-jerk reaction is to freak out at the money and get all pi$$ed off. I think it might be okay.

Lets see what happens when a big name signs How much will Brees get? Arrington? With the new CBA, I think he'll demand at least 25MM in guaranteed money. They can structure it to keep the hit at or below 8M/yr.

He's worth it. Certainly more than the guys on the market at the moment.

Here's my view. Try to sign him to a long term deal if we can. But, if we can't, then franchise tag him.

I know that players don't like to be tagged. But if he gets paid in the top 5, that's a lot of $$$ anyway. He can cry all the way to the bank.

Last edited:
My impulse would be to try to extend him at 7-8 mil this yr rather than let him go to FA.
The cap goes to 109 mil next yr, so it will probably cost more then. His agent knows this, too, so some guaranteed money will probably be necessary.

DO the deal this year - 8MM plus signing money and then we wont worry about it all year. Sign up Branch as well and get ready to watch more banners get raised.

I see no problem whatsoever in guaranteeing Richard Seymour a VERY good chunk of money. He's a hard worker, he's as proven as proven gets, and while he has missed a few games each of the last couple of seasons, I think he's as safe a bet as the NFL can come by. If that's what it takes, guaranteeing $$$ for a guy who's in his mid 20's, it is a NO BRAINER.

Methinks it'll take at least a double digit signing bonus to do Seymour. If you, and BB/Pioli as well, feel he's one of the top 3 DL's around, he's either gonna get big cash here or somewhere else. I don't really let a player leaving for more money bother me. It's easy to sit here as fans and think they should take less to be a Patriot (just happens to be our favorite team) because of rings, or loyalty or whatever. But when you're in that position and know you have this relatively short window of opportunity to possibly make enough money to live quite comfortably the rest of your lives, it becomes a different decision. Take less to get a rousing cheer at old timers events at da Razor or secure a better life for yourself?

Just sign the guy already. We can easily recover when Colvin's contract ends next year. I guarantee Seymour will be a Patriot if it is about the money. If not and it's the location,{which he has never complained about as far as I know} then he won't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes