PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How To Nail the 2024 Draft

archstanton543

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I'm not a draftnick but I figure I'd start a thread for people who have a positive outlook on the upcoming Draft and how the Pats can nail it.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the answer is not ending up with a fistful of small school safeties. Although after 20+ years of indoctrination every fiber of my Pats Nation being is fully expecting it

giphy.gif

My humble "Best Case Scenario": Drake Maye at #3, an OT who has the tools and receives the proper coaching to be a solid LT (even if he's not ready until next season), A WR the likes of which we didn't draft for two drafts in a row (starting with the N'Keal Harry Draft), a 3rd down RB (or even a can do it all on 3 downs back), and a TE. Anything else would be a bonus. And, as we'll probably be drafting in the top 3 next year, what we get this year could be a good intro to the rebuild. Especially if we nail it at QB and he can sit a year and learn and take over in year two with a much more talented OL and the rest of the offense.

They can nail this draft if:

(1) they improve their evaluation system and put more emphasis on physical talent, and then

(2) have in place a coaching staff that does a lot better job at teaching and facilitating the development of talented guys into productive players.

Their coaches did a good (not great) job these past 4 years with developing defensive players, and an atrocious job with every other position. I think they made themselves a victim of their previous successes when they could win with less talented guys running better schemes and game plans and executing very well. That stopped being the case in 2020 for some reason :rolleyes:. It was ridiculous these past several years watching them shoot themselves in the foot time and time again with penalties, turnovers, and mental mistakes, or just get overpowered or have their opponents run past or maneuver around them. If they need to simplify their scheme to make it easier to integrate guys and put them in the right position to succeed, then so be it. They need guys with more talent in a simpler scheme, then worry about making things harder for their opponents when they demonstrate they can beat the other team physically.

Last edited:
My dream scenario:

1.) Take Daniels or Maye #3.

2.) Trade back into round 1 to take Fashanu by giving up our 2nd/3rd and 2025 2nd.

3.) Trade back into round 2 by giving up our 2025 1st and take Adonai Mitchell.

4.) Pick more OL-men, TE's, and CB's in rounds 4-7. Sit out the draft until round 4 next year...but our guys will have been in the system for a year and ready to make the year 2 leap this time next year.

My dream scenario:

2.) Trade back into round 1 to take Fashanu by giving up our 2nd/3rd and 2025 2nd.

4.) Pick more OL-men, TE's, and CB's in rounds 4-7. Sit out the draft until round 4 next year...but our guys will have been in the system for a year and ready to make the year 2 leap this time next year.
Highly unlikely Mitchell will last to round 2. Most “experts” have him going in the 20’s. I think we need to trade back into round 1 to get him.

QB, 2 OL, 2 WRs. Not qualified to say who those players should be. The roster has a lot of holes and NE can't address them all in one draft. Hopefully player eval and development means the team can switch footing to BPA next year instead of drafting for need only.

I'm not a draftnick but I figure I'd start a thread for people who have a positive outlook on the upcoming Draft and how the Pats can nail it.
Who is the judge?

Are you ask for our own personal opinions?

If so, we nail the draft by drafting
1) the QB we want, presumably Daniels or Maye.
2) one of the LT's who can be expected to be a future starter, or perhaps even a swing OT. This might take a trade up from 34.
3) a couple of backup OL's
4) the usual shots at WR, but I expect another in free agency or by trade.
5) as usual, add another CB

I think that we need to recognize that after QB, we need an OL or two or three for the 2025 playoff run.

I want nothing but offensive players. One of each position. I don't care

Take Jayden Daniels QB LSU at #3.

Jackson Powers-Powers Johnson C-Oregon slips to them at #34

Use a 3 this year and a 3 next year to move up from 68 and take Patrick Paul LT Houston in the 2nd round.

Use day 3 to get high ceiling WR prospects.

QB is set, OL is fixed

This draft actually will have talent at WR on day 3, so double or triple dip at WR, and trade Duggars for a WR.

Use next years Draft and free agency to put together really good additions at WR.

Really fixing the OL and QB is the priority for me. Of the three major needs I believe WR is the easiest to fix.

My dream scenario:

That is a dream right there :rofl: :rofl:

Daniels/Maye at 3
Legette/McConkey at 34
An OT in the 3rd
TE in the 4th

If we can do that, DGAF about the rest

My dream scenario:

So Pats would have no 1st, 2nd, or 3rd next year, and we may still draft high next year. (In theory, because all of our high picks will be gone)

Pass!!!

Let’s not be the Carolina Panthers.

Do what Matthew Judon says to do. Trade with the Vikings. Draft Brock Bowers at 11. At 23 look for a LT or WR or QB.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back