PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How To Nail the 2024 Draft

So Pats would have no 1st, 2nd, or 3rd next year, and we may still draft high next year. (In theory, because all of our high picks will be gone)

Pass!!!

Let’s not be the Carolina Panthers.

Yeah...that would suck, but in place of not having a 1st, 2nd, & a 3rd.... we have our OT and WR making their "Year 2" leap along with our new toy at QB. That beats having a rookie, IMO. And we will have $$$ in free agency again to fill any holes if there are any....

I don't care if it's from behind, on top like on a mission, standing, sitting, zero gravity, etc, as long as this draft gets nailed.

I don't care if it's from behind, on top like on a mission, standing, sitting, zero gravity, etc, as long as this draft gets nailed.
Drafting the next Trey Lance is going to set this franchise back a couple more years.

QB, LT, WR, WR... probably in that order... and take a kicker in the 6th or 7th.

They need to fix one phase, offense... fix it.

I agree with this, but it still depends upon how the first round goes. I want them go QB with the first pick, but a number of things can happen at 34.For me LT is the next priority, but some strange picks usually happen in the first round, and if happens this year then first round talent at OT or WR could fall to 34, especially if both Nix and Penix go in the first round. I’m starting to see some of the multi round mocks where prospects that looked like they would be gone by 34 are falling into the second round. So if Mims or Guyton are there when they pick I would take one of them at 34, then go WR/ WR. However, if the first round tackles get wiped out and Jackson Powers Johnson is there at 34 then Inwould take him, and then trade up from 68 into the 40’s for an OT, like Patrick Paul, Jordan Morgan or Sumuataia. The other option could be a WR like Adonai Mitchell falling to 34, and they could take him, then make the trade up for one of the tackles, or go WR/ WR, but that’s my last choice.

Drafting the next Trey Lance is going to set this franchise back a couple more years.

So is drafting the next Case Keenum or Desmond Ridder.

I agree with this, but it still depends upon how the first round goes. I want them go QB with the first pick, but a number of things can happen at 34.For me LT is the next priority, but some strange picks usually happen in the first round, and if happens this year then first round talent at OT or WR could fall to 34, especially if both Nix and Penix go in the first round. I’m starting to see some of the multi round mocks where prospects that looked like they would be gone by 34 are falling into the second round. So if Mims or Guyton are there when they pick I would take one of them at 34, then go WR/ WR. However, if the first round tackles get wiped out and Jackson Powers Johnson is there at 34 then Inwould take him, and then trade up from 68 into the 40’s for an OT, like Patrick Paul, Jordan Morgan or Sumuataia. The other option could be a WR like Adonai Mitchell falling to 34, and they could take him, then make the trade up for one of the tackles, or go WR/ WR, but that’s my last choice.

If OT gets cleaned out in the first, and Powers -Johnson is there at 34 I really like the option of taking him and then trading up for Sumuataia. After that go WR/WR. For me this fixes their OL completely, as your new OL would be, from L-R Sumuataia, Strange, Powers-Johnson, Sow, Onwenu. I think Sumuataia would need some time to get ready at LT but could be their long term starter there.

Trade out of #3. Watch the run of QBs, WRs, and Alt. If we’re at 11, teams will want to trade up. This is a strong top-end draft. Guys will go in the teens who, in other years, would be top ten selections.

Exhibit A is UCLA’s Laiatu Latu.

So we trade back. Again. Load up on draft capital.

No franchise QB and no blue chip prospects, just a bunch of guys. I thought Belichick was no longer calling the shots in Foxborough.

I am onboard with Jackson Powers Johnson at #34 if he makes it there.

Pete Brock worked out well when the Pats drafted a center high.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the answer is not ending up with a fistful of small school safeties. Although after 20+ years of indoctrination every fiber of my Pats Nation being is fully expecting it
Going out on a limb here and say not happening as we just signed one for $14M+ a year. Although, we could use a FS....

to nail the Draft the Patriots will need help beyond what is available to them.
They need: QB: TE; WR; OT; OL; DL; LB; & CB.
That is a lot of needs.

We are 2 drafts away from competing at least.

Going out on a limb here and say not happening as we just signed one for $14M+ a year. Although, we could use a FS....

I know there are greater needs elsewhere, you know it and everyone else knows it and yet deep down we all fear it may happen anyway

I know there are greater needs elsewhere, you know it and everyone else knows it and yet deep down we all fear it may happen anyway
I have no fear of it.

I agree everything is dependent on how the draft falls beforehand. If some transcendent WR is sitting there at the top of the second and there’s a bevy of good tackles left on the board, they have enough ammo to take the WR and move up after to target their tackle of choice. Nobody can predict the draft.

I agree everything is dependent on how the draft falls beforehand. If some transcendent WR is sitting there at the top of the second and there’s a bevy of good tackles left on the board, they have enough ammo to take the WR and move up after to target their tackle of choice. Nobody can predict the draft.

The way I have always approached the draft is to make a list of the players I believe will be gone when they pick, then essentially make a proxy list of the remaking players. I have a bias towards taking the best player available over need, but you still have to take your strengths into account as well. Last year I had Bijan Robinson at the top of my proxy list. I thought he would be gone, but because he’s a RB there was still a chance he would make it to them. But when it came time to pick Gonzalez was the clear choice. He was the only player I had remaining in the list of players that I believed they had no shot at, so he was higher than anyone on the proxy list. I’m going to try doing something for 34 over the next couple of weeks, but some of the multi round nicks I’m coming across are wild in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

So here is an idea of what’s going on in some of the multi round mocks. From Chad Reuter’s April 6th 5 round mock.

At 34 he has the Patriots taking A. Mims OT GA.( great pick, hard to argue with)

Others available ( his order, not mine)

L. McConkey WR GA.

J.Morgan OT Ariz.

X. Legette WR s.Car

J. powers-Johnson C Ore

A.Mitchell WR Texas (53?)

I’ll stop here for now, I have to get going. But I would be thrilled with Mins, JPJ, Mitchell at 34, all are first round talent at 34. Personally I think Reuter is high, but I hope he’s right. And although he might have the names wrong he is right in thinking that players projected 1st round will be dropping on draft night. And his 3rd round is also loaded with players who have been projected as 2nd round picks. I would have a really hard time choosing between Mims,JPJ, and Mitchell, but I would go with Mims, as fixing LT is a big priority, and getting good receivers or a center is is easier overall.

Overall 34 is really interesting, because they can go so many ways with it, and have a bunch of good options.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back