PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How to Make a TE Disappear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man...I thought this article was going to be about Gronk....

The writer assumes this is a blueprint for covering Gronk but forgets that Gronk is a monster run blocker, unlike Graham. Go ahead about use a CB to cover gronk. I dare the other 31 teams in the league.

The writer assumes this is a blueprint for covering Gronk but forgets that Gronk is a monster run blocker, unlike Graham. Go ahead about use a CB to cover gronk. I dare the other 31 teams in the league.
If someone were to attempt that he would run over them, catch a long td, break his arm and sit out the rest of the season.

Funny, it's like we solved our own riddle we created a couple years ago. :p

Jimmy Graham isn't truly a TE. He lines up mostly outside or a little off the line of scrimmage and he never goes into blocking you can approach him the same every play. A TE like Gronk will beat you a lot because you have to make sure he isn't just going to block you and vise versa.

Well,Iam not well versed with the X/Os of the game but iam not so sure about this
Have the New England Patriots Solved the NFL's Tight-End Riddle? - WSJ.com

First
We didn't want to play him how some teams play him, other teams," said New England defensive back Devin McCourty. "When coach Belichick and Matty [Patricia, defensive coordinator], when they've got a guy to stop, they are going to do different things to slow him down. That's what we did."

The "different things" McCourty refers to is basically a seismic shift in the Patriots defense. They had a secret weapon in 27-year-old Aqib Talib, last seen shutting down elite wide receivers such as the Atlanta Falcons' Julio Jones. According to Patriots cornerback Kyle Arrington, Talib was chosen as the Graham stopper because coaches knew he had some unique characteristics, namely long limbs that could mitigate Graham's four-inch height advantage.
Pats always make seismic shifts in defense week to week .And this means you need to have a player like this to stop a TE like graham. Surely every team has one :rolleyes:

Instead, the Patriots went the other way and played almost no linebackers the entire game. With cornerbacks on all of their receivers in single coverage (something most quarterbacks love), Brees was baited into the Graham-Talib battle. Talib simply used his long arms to simply poke the ball out as it was thrown.
I thought the bait was to run if there were no LBs ....I didnt understand how he was baited into throwing to graham with talib on him . Can anyone explain this ?

You buy him a one way ticket to Talib Island

..... you feed her plenty of fattening foods and discourage her from exercising. That tight end will disappear in no time.

When a TE actually lines up as a TE, BB's preferred approach is to assassinate him at the line of scrimmage.

That logic applies to both sides of the ball. Vrabel was an outstanding short-field TE because he excelled at the hand combat to beat the LOS jam.

Well,Iam not well versed with the X/Os of the game but iam not so sure about this
Have the New England Patriots Solved the NFL's Tight-End Riddle? - WSJ.com

First

Pats always make seismic shifts in defense week to week .And this means you need to have a player like this to stop a TE like graham. Surely every team has one :rolleyes:

I thought the bait was to run if there were no LBs ....I didnt understand how he was baited into throwing to graham with talib on him . Can anyone explain this ?
The part you quoted about no LBs playing almost the entire game is just wrong. From Reiss' defensive snaps played:

Mayo - 59 of 66 (left injured so would've been on for 100%)
Spikes - 48 of 66
Hightower - 24 of 66
Fletcher - 7 of 66 (filling in for the 7 snaps Mayo missed)

Clearly the Pats played nickel most of the game. If they had no LBs on the field, I'd assume Payton would've been happy to run over NE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes