• Wide Receiver

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Best Available Player of above

Votes: 38 47.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
drew4008 said:
You obviously haven't watched enough of him then. There isn't anything you can't like about him. He's going to be a hall of famer, bank on it.

baring injury, a total superstar. the next barry sanders.

We are getting ahead of ourselves with this question. No one loves the draft more than I do.

But before the draft comes FA's. So, who we draft and at what position depends on who we lose and who we pick up in free agency. The priortites could and probably will change after that FA period ends.

drew4008 said:
You obviously haven't watched enough of him then. There isn't anything you can't like about him. He's going to be a hall of famer, bank on it.

So I'm not allowed to dislike the fact that he's a freakin' twig and is going to get demolished by NFL LBs? I can guarantee that he's not going to even sniff the Hall of Fame. He'll be the next Ki Jana Carter, that's what he's going to be and I don't want to be rooting for the team that everyone is laughing at when it happens.

Manny was a guy I had in mind...

Mosi Moose said:
http://condraft.com/top100.php

Manny Lawson, DE, NC State (projected at #28 according to this site)

Long, lanky end with incredible speed and athletic ability. Lawson is a converted linebacker; he moved to right end in the Spring of 2004 to take the place of the injured Renaldo Moses. Manny Lawson won the strength award for the linemen after benching 385 pounds, power cleaning 340 pounds, and posting a 11'7 mark in the broad jump and a 37-1/2" vertical jump. He's a tremendous athlete winning the ACC Indoor Long Jump. Manny successfully bulked up without losing any speed and had an awesome season. He is lightning quick rushing the passer and causing havoc in the enemy backfield. Similar to Dolphins' All-Pro DE Jason Taylor. his explosiveness should enable him to fly up the draft boards similarly to the way DeMarcus Ware did last year. Look for Manny to be highly sought-after with the ability to play in the vaunted 34 defense.

I haven't devoted any time to draft gazing, but Manny Lawson was the guy most likely to be the target, to me. He's 6-5 and about 250, so he is tall enough to block a passing lane, and big enough to fit the physical requirements. Belichick has said sacks are overrated knocking down or deflecting a pass is more likely to lead to a turnover and counts the same as a sack. He has already played Linebacker and pretty well as I understand. So there are some answers as to his athleticism and ability to go side to side, as LB must be able to do. He has the sack credentials I believe. I have no idea about his innate intelligence though. Like Kiwanuka discussed elsewhere, he could be the prototype of what you are looking for, that is to be a guy to groom behind Willie.

Consider a hypothetical 2008 Patriots LB (wrecking!) crew of Lawson/Mathis,and Beisel/Claridge/Brooks/Hawk/Hodge/Schlegal/or Roach, and Colvin/Carpenter, and Vrabel with part-timers like Tedy supplying the wise old veteran role.

Last edited:
Arizona Patsfan said:
Kiwanuka Mathis is the type of guy I had in mind. He fits the sack requirement. I don't know about his OLB possibilities, or his intelligence though; not criticizing I'm just ignorant about him...

Not sure of his mental capacity but I am sure it is relatively high considering he is going to graduate from BC. He is tall and athletic he runs a 4.7 40 which maybe a little slow for OLB but I would doubt Willie can run much faster then that at this point.

huskeralk said:
So I'm not allowed to dislike the fact that he's a freakin' twig and is going to get demolished by NFL LBs? I can guarantee that he's not going to even sniff the Hall of Fame. He'll be the next Ki Jana Carter, that's what he's going to be and I don't want to be rooting for the team that everyone is laughing at when it happens.
Well, I was hoping for you to at least tell me why, so I could prove you wrong. He's built like a frigin tank, and obviously you haven't seen him break away from tackles to think hes a twig. He has a killer stiff arm, strong legs, and a barrelled chest. He works out like crazy, and is 210 right now, probably be closer to 215-220 by the combine. I saw a pic last week of him with no shirt and hes as ripped as anyone I've ever seen.

Just because you might not like him, don't say he is things he isn't. He is a COMPLETE running back, why do you think he is being touted as the next Gale Sayers?

Last edited:
By all accounts, Mathias Kiwanuka is a pretty smart player. He does have trouble shedding blocks, but he was playing on HIS OWN on that BC line, dealing with double and sometimes triple teams. Speed + Size = Upside. Unfortunately, some people don't have the time to wait and see what kind of upside he has, looking rather for an immediate impact player. Again, remember, Kiwi is projected as a TOP 10 pick, not someone who would be available at 32 where the Pats are picking this year =) . Anywhere from pick 21-32? He won't be there.

JohnnyFromBurgerKing said:
By all accounts, Mathias Kiwanuka is a pretty smart player. He does have trouble shedding blocks, but he was playing on HIS OWN on that BC line, dealing with double and sometimes triple teams. Speed + Size = Upside. Unfortunately, some people don't have the time to wait and see what kind of upside he has, looking rather for an immediate impact player. Again, remember, Kiwi is projected as a TOP 10 pick, not someone who would be available at 32 where the Pats are picking this year =) . Anywhere from pick 21-32? He won't be there.
Kiwi will be gone before 15, we need to look at the sleepers, like Terna Nande and Oliver Hoyte.

Last edited:
Terna Nande and Oliver Hoyte a first round pick? Oliver Hoyte is on NC State. 3 NCS defensive players get drafted in the first round? No way. Williams sure. Lawson potentially. Hoyte? I dont think so.

Lawson has the possibility of falling to us in the later part of the round, especially if we moved up a pick or two by dealing an extra pick.

drew4008 said:
Well, I was hoping for you to at least tell me why, so I could prove you wrong. He's built like a frigin tank, and obviously you haven't seen him break away from tackles to think hes a twig. He has a killer stiff arm, strong legs, and a barrelled chest. He works out like crazy, and is 210 right now, probably be closer to 215-220 by the combine. I saw a pic last week of him with no shirt and hes as ripped as anyone I've ever seen.

Just because you might not like him, don't say he is things he isn't. He is a COMPLETE running back, why do you think he is being touted as the next Gale Sayers?

Who's proving who wrong here?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=145158

6' 200 lbs. is WR size, not every down RB size. The players he makes fools of are college players, most of which will never even touch and NFL field. Sure, Bush could pack on more weight but then he runs the risk of losing his most valuable assett.

Beware 1st round CB's

CB's were the big busts of last years 1st round. Look at some of these names.

6. Adam "Pacman" Jones (Tennessee)
8. Antrel Rolle (Arizona)
9. Carlos Rogers (D.C.)
23. Fabian Washington (Oakland)
29. Marlin Jackson (Indy)

So far only Jones and Rogers have started. While a fast kid, Jones has been questioned over his covering abilities. Rogers has only started a few games. The others have yet to be heard from.

Don Banks's re-draft helped me with this post.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=28439

Not that we have a snowball's chance in h*ll to get Reggie Bush, but I disagree with the comment that he's a twig, and that he will never get a sniff at the hall of fame. I see him as a faster Marshall Faulk type, and I think Marshall will probably make the HOF. Also the 4th alltime rusher happens to be 5'11" 205, his name is Curtis Martin. Reggie Bush is 6'0" 210, and I don't see any indication that he won't be a star in the NFL. If guys like Tiki Barber & Warrick Dunn can make it, what makes you think Bush can't. It was also reported that Bush bench pressed 418 pounds, almost twice his own weight.

Also, the way he runs, he doesn't take too many hard hits head on, ala Barry Sanders. That doesn't mean he can't run inside, which he can. Reggie Bush has once in a generation type talent, and he can succeed as a RB OR WR. I was praying he would have a bad season so the Pats could draft him, he will be the NFL's next ultimate weapon. He may not be great immediately, going to a terrible team, but by his third season I wouldn't be shocked to see him doing things that Marshall Faulk used to do, 1000+ rushing, 70+ cathces, all-around superstar. Your argument that he is too small is a weak one, there are many star RB's in the NFL in the 6'0" 210 range, not many have Bush's speed or moves.

As far as the Pats, I'd be thrilled with a LB or Safety, with a 2nd or 3rd rounder spent on a developemental RB.

Big busts were CB's? Too early to tell, still. Rolle's been injured but he's looked alright when he's played. Jackson will also play a role in Indy's secondary for years to come. Washington was just a miserable pick, all OAK does is draft on speed. Theyre ridiculous. BTW, caught any of Pacman's special team numbers this year on PRs and KRs? Yikes! He's a monster.

Last edited:
JohnnyFromBurgerKing said:
Terna Nande and Oliver Hoyte a first round pick? Oliver Hoyte is on NC State. 3 NCS defensive players get drafted in the first round? No way. Williams sure. Lawson potentially. Hoyte? I dont think so.

Lawson has the possibility of falling to us in the later part of the round, especially if we moved up a pick or two by dealing an extra pick.
I didn't mean for our Round 1 pick. I meant for later on. Check the other thread.

drew4008 said:
Trade Seymour, a 3rd rounder and whatever 1st rounder we have to get the top pick and grab Reggie Bush. :D

Damn! You stole my thunder, Drew. I was about to do a post about trading all of our picks for Reggie.

Seymour93 said:
CB's were the big busts of last years 1st round. Look at some of these names.

6. Adam "Pacman" Jones (Tennessee)
8. Antrel Rolle (Arizona)
9. Carlos Rogers (D.C.)
23. Fabian Washington (Oakland)
29. Marlin Jackson (Indy)

So far only Jones and Rogers have started. While a fast kid, Jones has been questioned over his covering abilities. Rogers has only started a few games. The others have yet to be heard from.

Don Banks's re-draft helped me with this post.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=28439

..... which makes the selection of Ellis Hobbs all the more remarkable. He seems to improve each week and looks a to be a good 'un. He can bench press 380lbs, (I had to cheat for that one) which is staggering. It would explain his physicality.

NT, DE/OLB, TE in that order. :D

Truth be told I believe the Patriots have good strengths in just about every position. The secondary is GOOD, assuming it is healthy, or relatively healthy. We may need to draft a Strong Safety in the first round if we get news that Harrison wont be returning anytime soon. Otherwise I think we should get a running back. Why should we get a running back? Its simple. No disrespect to Corey Dillon but this year has just not been his year, maybe its because of the injuries he's had to get through but honestly, it would be nice to have a very speedy young running back in the backfield. We have some power runners but I would love to see an RB drafted by the Pats. The main positions I am worried about are the Strong Safety position, a good young middle line backer to play alongside Bruschi, or a running back, and thats all I think we should focus on in the first round. We have some damn good CB's and tightends, I dont see much problems there.

gomezcat said:
Damn! You stole my thunder, Drew. I was about to do a post about trading all of our picks for Reggie.

When you guys sober up, you'll be ashamed of yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News