PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much does this SB loss damage Peyton Manning's legacy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES

Espn First Take, Monday 3rd February 2014 - YouTube

ESPN First Take RUTHLESSNESS. RUTHLESSNESS.
Peyton getting buried.

I would state a time to listen to, but the whole thing is ruthless.

Steven A. Smith doesn't even "know how Broncos can walk the streets"

"Putrid, just putrid, I don't look at Peyton Manning the same way."

"You've been diminished. You've been minimized. You got punked."

"You're a tin man."

Just ruthless.

PFM (or as I call him, P roFlao M) just getting annihilated today. You know those scenes from third world countries with people dancing and burning flags? Replace flag with Peyton Manning's reputation and that's basically what I'm watching on ESPN today.

Post all the best Peyton Manning hate-a-thon media pieces here. Make it your quick source to all the Peyton hate you can handle.

I love how they're all surprised.

I think Patriot fans are the supreme experts on Peyton Manning. In week #8 NFL network should just have one of us -any one of us- show up to tell them how it's going to end. lol.

I was going to say his rep would be hurt NONE. I expected the excuses to be abound. Steven A has it right, but the fact that it took them almost Manning's ENTIRE career just reinforces how BLIND the media is. All the evidence of PM's BIG game failures were there for ALL of them to see and read. They wanted to hear NONE of it. I think the ONLY reason they MAY turn on him now is because THEY will be the fools for trying to carry his water after the LARGEST audience ever for a SB game. Manning TRULY played like Peyton on the BIGGEST stage in front of the BIGGEST audience. Those who knew his history and were not blinded by the stats - SAW THIS COMING. Unfortunately, NONE of them were in the media class.

NFL Network : peytons legacy

wow, never thought i will see that i NFLN. the panel is ripping peyton on his "big game" jitters ans why he is a great but not big game QB.

wow, heath evans and curtis are telling it as it is... :eek:

heath even said Peyton is kind of responsible for the safety but his words went way over my head. mentioned Brady in spite of loosing super bowls, never played this bad in any one of them

is the media turning against the poster boy finally???

Re: After last night...

this may be unpopular, but here goes...

If you judged Peyton Manning's legacy / career as higher than Tom Brady's a year ago, 6 months ago, or even a week ago, it seems logical to think that any supposed gap between them has only widened, in Peyton's favor.

If (as I do) you had Peyton Manning's legacy /career as lower than Tom Brady's a year ago, 6 months ago, or even a week ago, it seems logical to think that any supposed gap between them has narrowed (at least a little bit) in Peyton's favor.

Peyton had a better season and yes a better postseason than Tom Brady, who went 1-1 instead of 2-1, and had a subpar game in the Patriots loss to Manning's team, with Manning playing exceptionally well.

Peyton was better yesterday, since Brady was not proficient enough to even be permitted to play. 0-1 is in fact better than 0-0.

Yes, that flies in the face of the stupid tendency to put EVERYTHING on the outcome of one game, the SUPER BOWL, the loser of which is THE NFL'S BIGGEST LOSER, supposedly.

You know, the stupid logic that, for example, ridicules the 2007 Patriots for "choking" in the Super Bowl as a big favorite, something that, after all, nobody else did. Nobody else lost in the Super Bowl that day! San Diego, losers of the AFCCG to NE two weeks before, were better than New England that year, or at least had a more successful postseason, being 0-0 in the Super Bowl. As were the Colts, losers of in the division round to San Diego, who also went 0-0 in the Super Bowl. Everyone knows it is of utmost importance to "never have lost in the Super Bowl" (even though you avoided that fate by losing sooner.)

Does anyone else see how silly this popularly applied knee-jerk Super Bowl loser "logic" is?

The problem is a World Championship is the pinnacle of success. Ever hear Dan Marino being mentioned as one of the greatest. Yet, he was dominant before the rule changes that helped QB's. Joe Montana is highly regarded as the best as he never lost the big game. Yes, Brady got their more often but lost. Had the Patriots gone undefeated in 2007 we might not even be having this discussion. The bottom line is World Championships, not regular season records or season MVP's. I read that Peyton's playoff record is 11-12. John Elway probably approves.

Re: NFL Network : peytons legacy

Do you really think they will tout him as the great one after the highest rated TV show ever? How smart would it be to talk of his greatness after that performance? Smart people already discount the "experts", gotta keep the stupid ones on board. They still need viewers.

You know what? As much as I like Peyton Manning failure I hate the phi king media even more sometimes. First his legacy is questioned before the Pats game. Then it is a done deal that he is the greatest ever after beating the Pats. Now he is back to Peyton the choke artist. He is probably one of the greatest regular season QBs in history. Debated. But as far as a playoff QB he is in the bottom 25%. So as a whole for his career probably a top 10 or 15 for combined performance.

Manning had a lousy game when it counted most.
That much can't be denied, though I'm sure the Peytonites will give it a try.

Seattle took them to the woodshed... Lemme just throw this out there, too: *imagine* what the storylines would be if it was cold and bad weather? Thank god it wasn't, because no one would give credit where it's due. I congratulate the Seattle D on an amazing execution, hard-hitting, no-prisoners game (not to mention Wilson's fantastic 3rd down performance throughout)

He deserves every bit of criticism. He looked like a deer in headlights in that game what a pathetic display a QB has ever showed in the big game with a record breaking national audience watching.

tysy4ase.jpg

wow, never thought i will see that i NFLN. the panel is ripping peyton on his "big game" jitters ans why he is a great but not big game QB.

wow, heath evans and curtis are telling it as it is... :eek:

heath even said Peyton is kind of responsible for the safety but his words went way over my head. mentioned Brady in spite of loosing super bowls, never played this bad in any one of them

is the media turning against the poster boy finally???

I think what you are seeing is a lot of players and media heads over the years probably felt Peyton got TOO much credit and too little blame, as well all did, ever since he entered the league as the #1 pick. And they were just never allowed to say it. They could never really say it as they had to maintain the image, the appearance, the status quo, etc...And honestly I'm seeing a repeat of this with Luck. I mean, you have to say Andrew Luck is the best of that class....Russel Wilson....meh..he's just some game manager who got lucky and got a ring....but Andrew Luck....that boy right there will change the game....number 1 pick...the heir....am I right, media? It's Tom vs Peyton all over again. And I'm not making any other correlations as far as the men involved, other than to point out this is what the media will run with, true or not. It's what they want to sell. And they will keep it going as long as they can get away with it.

And now with Peyton, the ones that couldn't wait to break free from that status quo, they are finally able to get their shots in.

I feel bad, but at the same time...man the guy got so much damn praise and credit in comparison with other great QB's in this league and so many passes. So....yeah.

Even up to this past week...it didn't matter Brady won 3 SB's and got to 5...if Peyton just wins his 2nd....well...that automatically makes him the GOAT above Brady, above Montana....really? REALLY?

Heck, I think there will still be a debate between Montana and Brady even IF Tom wins another. Undefeated vs making 6. As there should be! And it's a fair debate.

But with Peyton..."because you were born great...you just have to show us a glimpse of that, and you got the GOAT label in the bag. We WANT to crown you. We don't really want to have the conversation, we just need an excuse to do it. Just give us something. Anything!"

Well... praise Tebow, his dad had other plans ;)

There's a reason I stayed off forums and ESPN for 2 weeks prior to the SB. I wasn't going to let them pollute my ears with that drivel. I just couldn't take it. But I'll take some of this punch they're serving now. Refreshing!

What championships has brady won without the defense carrying the team? All this game shows is great defense + competent offense beats great offense + subpar defense almost always -- it has to the patriots since 07; it has to manning his entire career

One of the exceptions to that was when a great offense + subpar defense from New Orleans beat a top offense + top defense from Indianapolis, even though the Indy defense performed well. Oh the irony.

Remember what Rodgers said?

"Peyton Manning or Tom Brady?

Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers said Brady "is the best by far" among current NFL quarterbacks.

"It's not even close," Rodgers told ESPN Radio."

After this pathetic SB performance, this truth has been driven home ten-fold. Manning is not in the same discussion anymore as Montana and Brady. It is, as Rodgers said, not even close.

no damage at all.........nothing has changed

I understand what your saying and it is logical; however, I have to disagree in the area of perception. Manning earned his fifth MVP entering the game, had an unbelievable season breaking Brady's TD record, and "everyone" just knew he was going to put big points on the board. He threw one TD pass on the biggest stage in sports. Your statement is comparable the Brady/Montana debate as Brady was in the Superbowl more often.

What yesterday's game meant was Manning took a big blow for the national media, coaches, and fans who were somehow convinced that he was the greatest ever. Brady does not have to win another to be better then Manning, although, if the Pats win one more with Brady he just stamped on Peyton's jugular.

Im not sure what you are trying to say here. Manning beating Brady in the AFCCG then playing poorly and losing in the SB did not widen the gap,, it narrowed it. Brady didn't accomplish more by losing before getting to the SB.
If you want to say losing widened the gap for people who already gave Manning a win in the game, i suppose so, but what opinion that includes winning a game you haven't played yet means anything?

Remember what Rodgers said?

"Peyton Manning or Tom Brady?

Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers said Brady "is the best by far" among current NFL quarterbacks.

"It's not even close," Rodgers told ESPN Radio."

After this pathetic SB performance, this truth has been driven home ten-fold. Manning is not in the same discussion anymore as Montana and Brady. It is, as Rodgers said, not even close.

I understand, and am as big a Brady homer as anyone here, but correct me if I'm wrong: Didn't Peyton Manning just pass for 400 yards and eviscerate the Patriots in the AFCCG a couple of weeks ago? Or was that just a bad dream?

I understand, and am as big a Brady homer as anyone here, but correct me if I'm wrong: Didn't Peyton Manning just pass for 400 yards and eviscerate the Patriots in the AFCCG a couple of weeks ago? Or was that just a bad dream?

Neiher Brady nor Manning finished the job this year. (Neither did Brees, Rodgers, etc).
No QB can finish the job every year. Brady has 3 times, Manning sort of did once, although it happened in a playoff season where he was actually a liability to his team.
The gap didn't widen, but it is still enormous.

Manning legacy only really took a hit with people who were already giving him credit for winning this SB. With everyone who has been paying attention, he did just what his career has led you to expect, just getting a little closer this time than the normal one and done.

the excuses are already coming out. they played Troy Aikmans comment on felger and mazz

"it obviously wouldve meant something if he had won, but I dont think you can hold the loss against him"

soooo if manning wins he gets all the credit. But if he loses we are supposed to forget it even happened.

the excuses are already coming out. they played Troy Aikmans comment on felger and mazz

"it obviously wouldve meant something if he had won, but I dont think you can hold the loss against him"

soooo if manning wins he gets all the credit. But if he loses we are supposed to forget it even happened.

I mean who in all honesty, and I mean football fans, even listen to these clowns? I will go in to hibernation except for FA & Draft and my hibernation hideout is in this forum !

For a change, I'm more inclined to tune in to NFLN and ... GASP... ESPN :eek:

Joe Montana is highly regarded as the best as he never lost the big game. Yes, Brady got their more often but lost.

Joe Montana's career would have been even greater if he had been 4-3 in Super Bowls rather than 4-0.

If he had been 4-3, it would have meant that 3 extra times he would have won rather than lost in conference championship games. It is better to advance further in the playoffs, is it not?

To argue otherwise is the same as arguing that Brady was better / more successful than Manning in the postseason this year, since he lost the AFCCG rather than winning it, giving him no opportunity to even play in the Super Bowl.

consider a Super Bowl win a gold medal
consider a Super Bowl appearance with a loss as a silver medal (it should NOT be regarded as the worst of all possible season outcomes!)
consider an conference championship appearance with a loss as a bronze medal
consider anything else to be just a participation ribbon!

For his 14 healthy seasons, Montana amassed:
4 golds, no silvers, 3 bronzes

For his 12 healthy seasons, Brady has amassed:
3 golds, 2 silvers, 3 bronzes

Yes, IMO Montana's 4 golds, no silvers, & 3 bronzes beats Brady's 3 golds, 2 silvers, 3 bronzes

Imagine a Brady win in either of the next two seasons though. You'd have both QBs playing 14 complete and healthy years, and then:

Brady's 4 golds, 2 silvers, 3 bronzes clearly beats
Montana's 4 golds, no silvers, & 3 bronzes

Same deal if you imagined that the helmet catch never happened. Tom would have already surpassed Joe. But, alas, the helmet catch did happen.

Tom is closer to Joe IMO than Tom is close to Manning, who is several rungs below him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST