PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much credit does BB deserve for the way the defense played?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so confused.

We're talking about a great HOF defensive genius here, and we're using a game in which (as someone already said) his defense gave up 24 points and over 400 yards as an example of his greatness?

In the first half, the defense rushed the passer, they stuffed the run. They were communicating well, and they seemed to shift around like I haven't seen since 2004.

In the second half, nobody rushed the passer. No one did much to stop the run, I didn't see much shifting. This defense showed why they can be good, and why people think they suck. They looked so bad because of Butler in the 2nd half it was literally becoming Duane Starks bad. The Bengals seriously tortured Butler I think the dude is not gonna wanna see Cincinnatti for awhile. McCourty seemed excellent (considering this was his FIRST game) covering TO or Ocho, Butler on the other hand just looked pathetic.

I realize it's growing pains, but it's the pains that teams know about and can exploit. I hope to see a full 60 minute effort from the defense next week, and please, if one of our CBs is getting annihilated again lets give him some help?

I'm not not trying to be negative although I sound that way. One thing is for damn sure. This defense is more comfotable and communicating better than they were in week 17 last year. We're gonna experience growing pains, but growing nonetheless.

Rule 1 when up big in the second half with a young defense facing a very capable veteran offense: do not allow quick TDs to happen. Yes, Cincy drove down the field often in the second half. They also chewed up a lot of time doing it. Though I can't say this for sure without watching the tape, I would hope the coaches were preaching a "whatever you do, keep everything in front of you".....and hopefully this is one of the reasons Cincy had more freedom to make those 7 and 8 yard gains (as they repeatedly did). The other explanation is Cincy was its own worst enemy in the first half and our D just sucks. I'm going with the first explanation.

I suspect we will see a lot of teams with sustained drives against our D due to the 'no huge gains-no quick scores' mentality. This is, likely, just how it has to be with this young untested defense (hopefully just for the time being). A combination of our offense's scoring capabilities, not allowing the opposing team quick scores, well thought out game plans, throw in a helping of not beating ourselves with things like stupid penalties -- this should be the path to winning more often than losing. Then, hopefully, as the season goes on the defense gets better and better.

Then, hopefully, as the season goes on the defense gets better and better.

uh..yeah..isn't THAT the hallmark of a real BB coached team?Lose 31-0 to the Bills, peak late, win Super Bowl? I'll take it

The Patriots aren't about keeping the other team from putting up big numbers, they are about winning. They went up huge at the start of the third quarter. They new then they had to protect the lead and eat up the clock. Which they did and they won. It gave the team more practice in the base defense, which they need and allowed them to win.

Some people on this board seem to forget that Cincinnati is a very good team, with a great offense. They were a playoff team last year, and have a good chance of being one this year. They have a great QB, amazing wide receivers and a great running back.

Would anyone on this board take the Jets, Dolphins, or Bills over the Bengals?? The Patriots D destroyed them completely in the first half. It sure makes me feel better about the Patriots chances this year.

Rule 1 when up big in the second half with a young defense facing a very capable veteran offense: do not allow quick TDs to happen. Yes, Cincy drove down the field often in the second half. They also chewed up a lot of time doing it. Though I can't say this for sure without watching the tape, I would hope the coaches were preaching a "whatever you do, keep everything in front of you".....and hopefully this is one of the reasons Cincy had more freedom to make those 7 and 8 yard gains (as they repeatedly did). The other explanation is Cincy was its own worst enemy in the first half and our D just sucks. I'm going with the first explanation.

I suspect we will see a lot of teams with sustained drives against our D due to the 'no huge gains-no quick scores' mentality. This is, likely, just how it has to be with this young untested defense (hopefully just for the time being). A combination of our offense's scoring capabilities, not allowing the opposing team quick scores, well thought out game plans, throw in a helping of not beating ourselves with things like stupid penalties -- this should be the path to winning more often than losing. Then, hopefully, as the season goes on the defense gets better and better.

That approach has always been Belichick's way to run a Defense. He sticks to it because it works. It can be stiffling, when he has a Great defensive talent; it can merely be acceptably good when he does not.

Even more than talent though, it requires disciplined and smart players across the board. Nothing makes it collapse quicker than some hotshot who goes off freelancing.

Last edited:
well moose...you suckered me good.I'm a bonafide homer...I constantly attack all the scary marys here.I didn't post my season prediction in that thread because,before yesterday, I would have taken 8-8.OK? THat team had TWO all pro WR's with certified papers out there and yet I saw them completely stay away from McCourty.What the hell did THEY see? I saw the Bengals get a little mo going in the 2nd half and squirmed and moaned about "same as last year" offense and suddenly, the mystery the whole game, where was Gronk?...uh THAT was the nail.He was there all game. That TD catch had nothing to do with Cincy's defense, it had to do with a rookie making a tough catch under pressure when the defender had NO CHANCE.Halfway through this season, I'm hoping this league FEARS the Pats offense.If Gronkowski IS real, jeezus, the defense will be embarrassed if they DON'T play well.

I'm so confused.

We're talking about a great HOF defensive genius here, and we're using a game in which (as someone already said) his defense gave up 24 points and over 400 yards as an example of his greatness? [

Only about 100 of those yards were given up at a point where the game was still in contention.

Contrary to popular belief, 10 play, 8 minute TD drives aren't productive when you're down 21 points in the late 3rd quarter.

Very simple, dude. They got the win secured, took the foot off of the pedal and scaled back their scheme. It comes from the coaches first, and when the coaches stopped showing their schemes the players slacked off. That simple.

Couldn't have said it any better. I also thought I saw more of the back-ups playing.

And I give a ton of credit to BB. I still expect this young defense to struggle at times, but I like the direction they're going.

At the same time, need to give lots of credit to the other defensive coaches. Matt Patricia, Pepper, Corwin Brown and Josh Boyer, and everyone else have done a great job coaching up a lot of young kids. With so much youth out there, it's amazing how few major mistakes the kids made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST