How is it that the Patriots are the ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
who didn't negotiate in good faith?

The NFLPA and Chayut are frigging stupid.

Chayut is the one who never sent counter offers in to the Patriots.

Chayut is the one who had his client hold out of MANDATORY mini camps and then Training Camp while he, Chayut, sat on his keaster and didn't try to contract the Patriots.

HOW THE F**K are the Patriots the ones who didn't negotiate in good faith?

Hell, they aren't even REQUIRED to negotiate at this time in GENERAL.

Dang Db, settle down, you know this could have been posted in half the threads on the front page. Next thing you know mikey will be in here trying to prove Deion won the 2001 Super Bowl for us and Tommy is being abused by the Pats penny pinching.

Chill out my friend, Deion is going to garner BB a number one pick or more and Troy's Heroes will be undermining the Bills in just over a week. Gospel.

I read the same thing. Obviously we are not privy to everything that's been going on, but if the reports are true that Branch and his agent never countered the Patriots offer (and went straight to a hold-out), then one of the grievances filed is purely ridiculous.

At this point, and this is just speculation, it looks like Branch's agent is just trying to create as much havoc as possible over the situation; or to put it another way, he's trying to turn this into a messy divorce.

DaBruinz said:

Chayut is the one who had his client hold out of MANDATORY mini camps and then Training Camp while he, Chayut, sat on his keaster and didn't try to contract the Patriots.

I think the problem is that the Pats did negotiate, albeit verbally, and apparently didn't do so in good faith - ie didn't accept the trade offer (that was reasonable) that they verbally agreed to do. At least that's the point that the union is going to argue and might very well win.

The Pats potentially blew this by allowing Branch to seek out a trade in the first place. They should have kept their traps shut and done nothing. Instead, the Pats did the same thing many in here chastised Branch's agent for doing, namely dragging it thru the media and making it a circus.

Both parties should be ashamed of this embarassing fiasco. Branch's agent is a wannabe pup so I can see why he's in the position he's now in but the Pats should have known better.

Bobs My Uncle said:
I think the problem is that the Pats did negotiate, albeit verbally, and apparently didn't do so in good faith - ie didn't accept the trade offer (that was reasonable) that they verbally agreed to do. At least that's the point that the union is going to argue and might very well win.

The Pats potentially blew this by allowing Branch to seek out a trade in the first place. They should have kept their traps shut and done nothing. Instead, the Pats did the same thing many in here chastised Branch's agent for doing, namely dragging it thru the media and making it a circus.

Both parties should be ashamed of this embarassing fiasco. Branch's agent is a wannabe pup so I can see why he's in the position he's now in but the Pats should have known better.
What reasonable trade offer didn't they accept?

DaBruinz said:

"never argue with an idiot...they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" I dont think Chayut ever intended to negotiate with Pats...if he did, he would have certainly made a counter offer before now.

We can monday morning quarterback this thing to death...I think the Pats made the right move in allowing Deion to seek other offers. They had to move this along one way or another.

Take the second round draft pick offered by the New York Jets because it's obvious (at least to me) Deion Branch does not want to play for the New England Patriots this year. It's time to move on!

Box_O_Rocks said:
What reasonable trade offer didn't they accept?
That reemains to be seen.

Bobs My Uncle said:

1) The Patriots allowing Branch to seek a trade is not negotiating.
2) The Patriots set what they feel is the appropriate compensation. Not the Player. And not the other team
3) The Jets offer was NOT reasonable.

Bobs My Uncle said:

Does that trump Deion's not bothering to negotiate to begin with? I don't think so. The Patriots did NOT drag this through the media making it a circus. That started with Branch and has continued.

Bobs My Uncle said:

What should the Patriots have known? That Branch is a moron who has no sense of business negotiations? That Chayut is an imbecile? Yes, Probably. But that doesn't change the fact that Chayut and Branch are the ones who brought it to this point to begin with.

DaBruinz said:
2) The Patriots set what they feel is the appropriate compensation. Not the Player. And not the other team

Does that trump Deion's not bothering to negotiate to begin with? I don't think so. The Patriots did NOT drag this through the media making it a circus. That started with Branch and has continued.

What should the Patriots have known? That Branch is a moron who has no sense of business negotiations? That Chayut is an imbecile? Yes, Probably. But that doesn't change the fact that Chayut and Branch are the ones who brought it to this point to begin with.

A lot of posters on this board saw this coming last week when they called the Patriots offer a big gamble and a risk. Many said here, what if someone offers Deion his contract and the Patriots a 2nd round choice? That would be bad, we said.

And now look what's happened.

DaBruinz said:

When is a contract not a contract? When the team decides you are no longer useful, your contract is terminated when you are cut.

Now, evidently the when the player decides he is worth more. the contract is no longer a contract and you get to renegotiate, or if you don't do that, then the agent negotiates with any team they want to but, if you do not accept the agents compensation, you get a grievance filed against you.

HUH? What did I just say? Is this really happening? Is this the new reality of the NFL? What will stop others from doing this and don't think for one second that other agents and players are not watching. They think they found a way around the so called one way contracts.

Go ahead, kill your golden goose (that'd be we fans) you greedy bastids - all of ya. This madness needs to be stopped - good luck to the new commish!

DaBruinz said:
You don't know this as fact. You are assuming.

What is known as fact is that Branch's agent has asked the league to file a grievance agaisnt the Pats for not acting in good faith. I am assuming that because the NFLPA has agreed to do so they feel as though they have a case.

DaBruinz said:
It doesn't matter what Branch and his agent did or didn't do. What matters now is whether or not a mediator feels that the Pats, by allowing Branch to seek out a trade and apparnely setting compensation guidlines for that trade, opened themselves up for penalty. Had the Pats simply done nothing the Pats wouldn't be faced with this situation. They'd still have a disgruntled Branch but they wouldn't have opened themselves up to the possibility of an arbitrator ruling against them.

DaBruinz said:
They should have know that allowing a contracted player to seek a trade might not be a wise thing to do :rolleyes:

Here - add this into the mix. From PFT:

Ron Borges of the Boston Globe reports that Pats receiver Deion Branch has filed two separate grievances against the team. One grievance relates to the team's failure to trade him once Branch received offers from the Jets and the Seahawks. The other grievance alleges that the Patriots failed to negotiate in good faith regarding an extension of Branch's contract, which expires after the 2006 season.

Maybe we're missing something here, but does any team have an obligation of any kind to negotiate with a player at a time when the player is still under contract?

Our guess is that Branch has opted for the two-pronged approach in order to put the Pats in a position that what they say about the matter in the first grievance can be used against them in the second grievance, and vice-versa. If the team thinks he merits a first-round pick or more in trade, then the argument in the second grievance will be that he should have been offered at least as much as what the Colts paid Reggie Wayne. If the Pats think he's worth substantially less than Wayne financially, then the argument in the first grievance will be that the team should be willing to let him go for, as reported, a second-round pick.

NEM said:
So, how's all my dear friends at KFFL. Tell them Mrs. NEM says hello. :D
I no longer do KFFL, MIke. But please do go tell them Mrs NEM says hi :D

BTW, Chayut might not be so dumb when all is said and done.

Murphys95 said:
Yeah i just read that over there too.

Smart but incredibly sleazy.

Hopefully we get a first for Branch and get him the hell out of here. He's lucky that Brady made his career. What an ungrateful little bastard.

Murphys95 said:

Our guess is that Branch has opted for the two-pronged approach in order to put the Pats in a position that what they say about the matter in the first grievance can be used against them in the second grievance, and vice-versa. If the team thinks he merits a first-round pick or more in trade, then the argument in the second grievance will be that he should have been offered at least as much as what the Colts paid Reggie Wayne. If the Pats think he's worth substantially less than Wayne financially, then the argument in the first grievance will be that the team should be willing to let him go for, as reported, a second-round pick.

Ummm.... maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't the term negotiating imply that the party coughing up the cash should start on the low end?

Moreover, doesn't that term also imply two-way communications?

ctpatsfan77 said:
Ummm.... maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't the term negotiating imply that the party coughing up the cash should start on the low end?

Moreover, doesn't that term also imply two-way communications?

One would think, yeah. All reports are to the contrary - Branch and his agent never countered and went straight to pouting like 5 years olds.

Love your signature!

Pats really miscalculated on this. Of course hindsight is 20/20, but this has seemed headed for week 10 since the get-go. It still is, but now with much more rancor. Why do you let a player under contract attempt to cut a deal elsewhere when you have no intention of trading him? :confused:

oldrover said:
Pats really miscalculated on this. Of course hindsight is 20/20, but this has seemed headed for week 10 since the get-go. It still is, but now with much more rancor. Why do you let a player under contract attempt to cut a deal elsewhere when you have no intention of trading him? :confused:
Outside of mediot speculation (and ours), I have yet to see any indication that they had "no intention of trading him." Considering Tomase's report of ongoing negotiations with Seattle, I think the speculation missed the mark. When Deion was give permission to seek a trade, one of two things could happen; (1) He got no interest or offers below NE's, (2) he got a better offer and gave the Pats an opportunity to discuss a trade with a potential partner. It seems Duh Jest were using this as an opportunity to stir up crap as much as testing the Pats' resolve on trade value. Seattle took the full week, which seems more logical for someone who really has an interest in a player (the Jest tossed off an offer on Monday - 2 days after Deion was granted permission.) As of last report, the Hawks are showing a willingness to offer a 1st rounder, I think the Pats have a good chance to get a second day pick added to that, we'll just have to see how it goes.

What I don't get is considering all those times that the franchise player tag has completely soured a relationship between a player and a team is why the players keep agreeing to it in the CBAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News