PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How bout that effort by Watson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is another reason why I am proud to root for this team. This is another play that demonstrates the types of players and the type of effort we get to see from out TEAM.

Patriotic Fervor said:
He's a world-class athlete!

In more ways than one. The speed on that play was amazing, but the heart more so. According to the announcers, Bailey slowed down because he was winded. But a 253-lb TE coming from the farthest point of the field didn't ease up one step.

Add in the catch and run from the Jaguars game and you have a 2-week highlight reel that a lot of players couldn't equal in a whole career.

Yeah, pretty amazing play. I would have to admit that if there had been a better camera angle, it most likely would have been ruled a touchback. I didn't know anything at all about Watson but thought he was a really big and fast receiver. Then I found out he was actually a TE. Wow! He has to be the fastest TE in the entire league. However, he did have some extra motivation. He, along with the rest of the Patriots, had just witnessed their quest for a third consecutive championship go up the field in Baily's hands. But still, pretty impressive.

That was the second time he caught a guy running for the end zone on a turnover. He did it earlier in the year, I forgot the game........but he did the exact same thing when he caught the guy from behind coming out of nowhere. He never quits until the play is over.........amazing. I wish I knew what game it was. Do any of you guys remember that game????

Does anybody have a picture of him creaming Bailey?

I have been a huge Watson fan since before the Pats picked him and I am absolutely ecstatic that we have him on this team. Hopefully next year we'll see Watson actually used to his full potential. He'll be a dominating force for us when someone figures out how to properly use him.

Bobs My Uncle said:
I have been a huge Watson fan since before the Pats picked him and I am absolutely ecstatic that we have him on this team. Hopefully next year we'll see Watson actually used to his full potential. He'll be a dominating force for us when someone figures out how to properly use him.

I certainly hope he has a lights out next year. He has the skills.

I look foward to seeing what he can do next year more than I ever have with any other player. Physically, his potention is UNLIMITED. Hopefully, he can learn to block better and more importantly, I hope BB and crew will learn how to use him more efficiently.

Ronin said:
That was the second time he caught a guy running for the end zone on a turnover. He did it earlier in the year, I forgot the game........but he did the exact same thing when he caught the guy from behind coming out of nowhere. He never quits until the play is over.........amazing. I wish I knew what game it was. Do any of you guys remember that game????
It was a pre-season game. In some ways, that one may have been more impressive. The pass was intended for him, but thrown behind him. The CB that picked it off caught it with a full head of steam heading towards the Patriot's Endzone (it was also caught deep in the opponents territory). Watson had to completely change direction, and still managed to catch the much smaller CB.

I really hope they start using him more as a receiver in the passing game (part of that depends on improving the OL - both he and Graham are needed for blocking a lot, so they're not as available for catching passes).

Ronin said:

That was Chris Gamble he caught during the game against Carolina this year.

I hope they put that video clip of Ben Watson in the Hall Of Fame. For all the things that are wrong in professional sports (by way of lackidasical high paid athlete stereotypes), Watson's unbelievable hustle and passion for what he does, is a testament about what is right with pro sports.

The biggest hustle play I've ever seen. The kid never gave up on it. Even though Bailey ran out of steam that last 10 yards, I didn't see any way someone even had a chance to catch him. Watson came in like a heat-seeking missle. Too bad it wasn't an inch or so further inbounds before it went out to take any question out of it. I thought it was a touchback, but of course I wanted it to be. It was just too damn close to be conclusive.

CTPatsFan said:
The biggest hustle play I've ever seen. The kid never gave up on it. Even though Bailey ran out of steam that last 10 yards, I didn't see any way someone even had a chance to catch him. Watson came in like a heat-seeking missle. Too bad it wasn't an inch or so further inbounds before it went out to take any question out of it. I thought it was a touchback, but of course I wanted it to be. It was just too damn close to be conclusive.

I think it is crazy how some of the media were comparing that play to Leon Lett's blunder of getting caught. How can anyone compare the speed of Leon Lett to Champ Bailey? When Lett runs the 40, he is timed with a calendar and not a stop watch.

NEM said:
It WAS conclusive enough. The officials just didn't have the balls to make the right call in front of the Denver corwd, plain and simple.

Amen, Bro, Amen!

I have to agree, that was one of the most incredible plays in the history of football, and the more I see of it, it was a definate touchback. No sour grapes here, and it doesn't mean we win, we would have still been down 10-6, with at least 3 more turnovers by us to come, even though it was another poor call by the refs this weekend, and the end result wasn't what we hoped for, A++ effort by Watson, he deserved better for his effort. Also props to Faulk on that play, he went airborne trying to tackle Bailey.

He actually had a pretty good season as a TE, I think 3rd or 4th in receptions, and 2nd in TD catches. He is definately a bright spot and hopefully the coaches can use him more as a receiver next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gr8est said:
Benjamin looks like a pretty good use of a #1 pick. He is becoming what we had hoed he could.

I just hope he spends the off-season with the Jugs machine.
And some more time with Dante and Dabol.

You'd think his Daddy used a stuffed pony instead of a teddy bear to put him to bed.

That is a Tommy Point for Ben Watson!!!!!!!!

CTPatsFan said:

I don't think he ran out of steam. I'm sure he was tired, but I'm also sure he didn't see Watson at all, saw his blockers all fall back and decided to take it easy. Champ Bailey's a great football player, but he's also an arrogant prick (it's not like he's the only one in the NFL, don't worry). It was a perfect combination of Bailey celebrating too early and Watson giving an effort as good as ANY in the history of football.

Just an undescribably great play by Watson. The biggest shame is that he was virtually unrewarded for it since the damage was already done and the fumble wasn't overturned. Because of that, I feel like sending him an e-mail or something, seriously.

CheerforTom said:
I don't think he ran out of steam. I'm sure he was tired, but I'm also sure he didn't see Watson at all, saw his blockers all fall back and decided to take it easy. Champ Bailey's a great football player, but he's also an arrogant prick (it's not like he's the only one in the NFL, don't worry). It was a perfect combination of Bailey celebrating too early and Watson giving an effort as good as ANY in the history of football.

Just an undescribably great play by Watson. The biggest shame is that he was virtually unrewarded for it since the damage was already done and the fumble wasn't overturned. Because of that, I feel like sending him an e-mail or something, seriously.

Well, if nothing else, it can at least be memorialized on Ben Watson's Wikipedia page. :)

Last edited:
Man, I just watched another clip of it, and one of the best parts is check out Watson's reaction to the hit. It's an absolute massacre, and the guy just calmly walks off, no jeering, nothing. WHAT a class act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes