PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How bad is this O-line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imahobgoblin

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score

We all know that we are 0-5 and this O-line is the worst in team history. With that said, this is an absolutely stunning statistic. Tom Brady is the least hit QB in the league thus far. To be fair, I have not seen stats on total pressures as of yet. That would be interesting.

From what I see, we rank about 12th overall in the league and have given up 8 sacks with an adjusted sack rate of 5.6%. Brady said that other day that the O-line is playing well and many laughed at him. The reality is that this piecemeal line is playing way above expectations for QB protection. The flaw obviously is the running game with with an average of 3.65 ypc, but this should improve as the season goes on as Dante gets them coached up. The biggest O-line flaw thus far has been Right Tackle, which ranks 18th in the league.

We all know that we are 0-5 and this O-line is the worst in team history. With that said, this is an absolutely stunning statistic. Tom Brady is the least hit QB in the league thus far. To be fair, I have not seen stats on total pressures as of yet. That would be interesting.

From what I see, we rank about 12th overall in the league and have given up 8 sacks with an adjusted sack rate of 5.6%. Brady said that other day that the O-line is playing well and many laughed at him. The reality is that this piecemeal line is playing way above expectations for QB protection. The flaw obviously is the running game with with an average of 3.65 ypc, but this should improve as the season goes on as Dante gets them coached up. The biggest O-line flaw thus far has been Right Tackle, which ranks 18th in the league.

Well Brady had gotten some hits and have the Best D in the Game to back him. We haven't played any balanced Teams yet and will when we play the Ravens and then on. Our Offense haven't hit its stride yet: I hope Sony uses these powder puff games as a spring board to get going so he can really Run when we face those Tough Road opponents.

As bad as all the drama queens on this board want it to be.

Posters need to understand sacks/hits etc is on the QB just as much if not more if certain cases than the OL.

There are many times the QB is responsible for a blitzer or is tasked w moving a defender off a spot.

Many of the sacks Brady took the other day were on him. Not the OL.

The pass protection is not bad actually.

The issue has been the run blocking so far.

It's been pretty lousy. Seems clear to me that Brady makes a concerted effort to avoid taking shots, even if it means looking like a German soccer player on some plays. Better for his long term health, especially when they have so much margin for error right now.

I don't think it's been as bad as some people think... in fact, it's NEVER as bad as SOME people think ;)

That said, Brady is one of the best in the history of the game at recognizing pressure early and knowing where to safely throw it (either for completions or away). So while he's not being contacted, it doesn't mean that the OL is doing it's job if it forces him to throw before he'd like to.

All that said, it's hard to ask for much more than they've given us so far, with as many moving parts as there have been. If they haven't improved at all by November I'll start feeling a little more nervous. But I think they're coming along.

Our line is good, but contact % really is a function of the oline and the qb. Brady, combined, with his quick release and knack for throwing the ball away really helps that %.

Brady is Masterful at pocket awareness, sliding and stepping up ability, negating a lot of negative plays/yds. This also allows him to step into his throws or scramble out of harms way and complete a pass as we saw with B. Bolden's Out and Up TD on LB.

The OL has been bad. Brady doesn't get hit because he doesn't allow himself to get hit for the sake of keeping plays alive at the rate he used to. Throwaways and abandoned plays are the result. We saw the same thing last year.

Well done Sliplady.

2019 OFFENSIVE LINES | Football Outsiders

BTW, thats a pretty slip in your avatar. Does it come in xxl?

The OL has been bad. Brady doesn't get hit because he doesn't allow himself to get hit for the sake of keeping plays alive at the rate he used to. Throwaways and abandoned plays are the result. We saw the same thing last year.

WRs are not open.

Brady has to wait until a receiver hopefully shakes loose. Yes, same as last season when the Pats had table scraps for WRs and Gordon suddenly was available. This year AB came available.

apparently not that bad?

A lot of that is Brady throwing straight into the ground when he sees Meyers immediately running the wrong route tree

The pass protection is not bad actually.

The issue has been the run blocking so far.

Sony has not helped at all.

First hint of contact and he goes down like a lead balloon.

WRs are not open.

Brady has to wait until a receiver hopefully shakes loose. Yes, same as last season when the Pats had table scraps for WRs and Gordon suddenly was available. This year AB came available.

Go troll someone else.

Pass blocking they have been just OK. Run blocking they have a lot to improve on.

Run blocking is not where it should be...which is surprising because Mason, Cannon, and Thuney are great linemen.... and Karras hasn't been too bad himself. Run blocking could be A LOT better. I'd like to see Michel run through the LOS untouched now and then....but most of the time it seems that he has no chance. Burkhead is working out because they are setting up seams for Burkhead to cut through.

Pass protection is being made to look good all because of Brady. I notice that Brady is moving to his right side a lot more this year...presumably because of the pressure Newhouse is giving up...can't blame Newhouse...but we need Wynn back! And Brady cannot scan to his 3rd option...the ball is out to the 1st/2nd option quick...or thrown away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST