PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How are the Pats 12-3 and on the verge of Home Field throughout ? Mind boggling defensive stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those stats largely took a big time dump in the first few games of the season. The defense was an abomination in Weeks 1-4. They've been better in almost every measurable way since then. That said, there's still a LOT of room to improve before the postseason.

This.
There's nothing wrong with taking the season overview but the progression is more important. If they modestly suck in September and modestly suck in December? They modestly suck. If they modestly to greatly suck in September but are modestly stingy in December? It's likelier than not they are a modestly stingy defense despite the season snapshot.

Make no mistake, the lack of LB production and playmaking is by far the weakest leg to the defesnive table. If KVN can come back and play just satisfactory and JH can just give up to 10 plays of modestly effective play, the effect on how this D looks should be quite noticeable.
If we don't get these things then I'm concerned this is something that good playoff O's will exploit time after time after time. Then it will come down to RZ play/making the opposition kick FGs (usually when you force FGs you win --- usually).

The defense is not the 2003-2004 defense, but it gets the job done. The defense has improved, but it is not going to win style points for brutality.

As for strength of schedule, the Pats always tend to lose in that discussion because they do not play games against the Patriots. I suspect the NFC South teams rule that category, and the Pats beat all but one of them. The Chargers and Bills are on the cusp of playoff contention, and the Pats beat them as well. I am not about to classify the schedule as easy because they did not play the Ravens or Jaguars, or you can read a ton into a loss in game 1 to the Chiefs.

I don't put much stock in Power Rankings, but most seem to put them in the top spot despite the lack of a brutal defense. The defense was horrid to begin the season, and that will always skew the stats. I believe they have done okay without Hightower (better than I had hoped) and some misses on free agent replacements this season. They ain't the Colts defense in the Bob Sanders years, by a long shot.

With the offense the Pats have their defense is fine, and as you said it gets better (and has).

The list I play around with is based on 7 PR's with the low and high thrown out for each team, but it isn't really a SOS even though I called it that. A SOS should be based on records.

Because the NFCS has three very good teams they're rated high, as they should be. The opposite is true of the AFCS. Looking at the schedule the Jags played they might really be paper tigers. We'll find out soon enough.

In the end, the Pats are 12-3 and the top seed in the AFC because of B&B.

they do it to give people something to 'talk' about in the GD tread

If anything this shows what great coaches Belichick and Matt Patricia really are... if we go by D stats we suck, but if you go by the Pats record they are pretty damned good...

Time and time again after a great D play, we hear how they practiced that and were prepared for it.. great situational football may be the equalizer.

reporter - "what's the most important defensive stats?"

beli - [speechless]

/thread
------------------------------------------
Coach, what is best in life?

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their fanbase.

If KVN can come back and play just satisfactory and JH can just give up to 10 plays of modestly effective play, the effect on how this D looks should be quite noticeable.

If JH and KVN drive outside run production from the 7 ypc peak to around their average across the rest of the field between the former's ability to string out or turn back on the edge and the latter's speed, that alone will make the cornerbacks MUCH more efficient which improves the strength of this defense.

If JH and KVN drive outside run production from the 7 ypc peak to around their average across the rest of the field between the former's ability to string out or turn back on the edge and the latter's speed, that alone will make the cornerbacks MUCH more efficient which improves the strength of this defense.

I am hoping we see something like this tomorrow as a trial run for the playoffs.

Looking at defensive stats today, and I find it mind boggling this team is 12-3, and most likely winds up 13-3.

Pass defense:
29th in yards against, only 4 teams have given up more passing yards. Indy, Giants & Bucs. None of those teams have more than 4 wins.

38 sacks, 11 teams have more than the Pats. Giving up 62.8 completion percentage, only 12 teams are worse. Only one of those teams are in the playoff hunt (Atlanta).

Have given up 24 TD passes, tied for 21st.

Rush defense:
26th against the rush. Giving up 4.8 yards per carry, only the Chargers have given up more per carry (4.9).

Oddly enough, Pats have given up the 2nd least amount of rushing TDs in the whole league. They’ve given up 6. Shockingly Cleveland has only given up 5.

Now I know the injuries have played a HUGE part in these stats being mind bogglingly bad, but that’s where coaching comes in. If the Pats somehow achieve the ultimate goal, this has to be Belichick’s best coaching job ever. Always thought 2008 was his best, this would surpass it.

That the Pats are 12-3, and should wind up 13-3 is just amazing.

Tremendous post, Brother Scott. Tremendous!!
beer.gif

I pride myself on being able to extract Penetrating Truth from what is inexplicable to most. Shameless Self Promotion Alert: I predicted that cutting Jamie Collins loose would be the catalyst that would lead to a Championship. #TrueStory :eek:

But I've been poring over these stats ~ even allowing for the fact that they're still warped by our cataclysmic September :eek: ~ and cannot for the life of me extrapolate Wisdom from'm!! o_O It's inexplicable, I tells ya!!
jester.gif

The Pats don't give up many points. At all. The team is tied for sixth in the NFL in least points allowed per game. And that includes Poyer's pick six for the Bills and Clowney's fumble recovery and romp for a TD.

Nobody shouts louder than me that Points is more important than all the other Defensive stats combined...But that doesn't change the fact that the numbers described in the OP are shocking for a 12-3 team...or for the #7 Defense.

Somehow, despite the fan hysteria, they always seem to end up in the top ten for points allowed and red zone defense. I'll take that as a great compliment to an explosive offense.

I agree. Furthermore, it's a great complement to an explosive offense. :D

#JustBustinBallsLoveYaBro :D

The Pats are top 10 in so many other categories and when you add them all up and add GOAT you get 13 - 3

Fumbles lost
FGs allowed
NE Penalty yards
D 3rd down success rate

And, so many others under the surface. But without Brady the whole machine doesnt work.

I agree. Furthermore, it's a great complement to an explosive offense. :D

#JustBustinBallsLoveYaBro :D

That's what I get for composing posts on a phone and trusting autocorrect. I'm ashamed. :p

Looks like the Patriots won't be winning the DVOA championship this season.

Bummer.

Nice.
jester.gif

FootBall OutSiders is actually an impressive and insightful Site...But there is far too much statistical chaff to sift through to get to that wheat.
th_coffee.gif

giving up yards, but not points shortens the game, forcing your opponent to change their game plan to beat you or even keep up with you. We see it so often, even last week, Pats play an opponent even in 1st half, make some offensive changes, explode and all the yards in the world given up by the Pats defense aren't enough to keep up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back