PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How about these '08 Power Rankings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know how they can say that the Giants are #1 without Strahan in the mix. They match up against us, we caught the wrong team at the wrong time. To give odds to win SB right now, you would have to say pats 25,colts 25,bolts 25 and everyone else together 25.
We have the weakest schedule, so our season wont even start til the playoffs. We can rest guys, lose a few games, let rookies play and get experience and alot of good things because of this. Our power rankings at week 14 will be ALOT more important. Other teams will beat each other up and get thinner, our problem will be the lack of competition. You cant say that with any other team.
Side note:I took a cab into Boston last week and the cabbie told me he drove LT around when he was here for the AFCCG. LT came off with attitude, telling the cabbie what bad drivers we were and saying "what do you guys have around here??" The cabbie slyly said"you might have a beach, but we got RINGS!" Bummed out,LT tipped the guy $20 after he waited outside the restaurant for an hour for dinner...that story made me smile:D

I saw one where the Colts were number 1(surprise) and the Giants were 7, I think we were either 3 or 4 behind the Chargers and/or Cowboys.

Agreed. I'm just tired of hearing about the Pats dynasty being over. So-called experts always seem to forget when they are wrong.

Dont they say that every single year? Spite can be a very powerfull thing.

The Giants are going to win 6-8 games next year and miss the playoffs. Anyone should be able to see Coughlin won't be able to sustain the good vibe from last year. It's so predictable I can't wait for it to happen.

doesnt a little part of you want them in the superbowl?

doesnt a little part of you want them in the superbowl?

Dream scenario - the Pats go into SB43 with a 17-1 record against the Giants, win it, finish 18-1 and take home the Lombardi.

As great as the run for a perfect season was, it became so hyped that if NE didn't do it then the season would have been a failure on some level.

IMO the Chargers should be ranked #1. They beat the Colts with Billy Volek and probably would've won in Foxboro if Gates, Rivers and LT were healthy.

Where they not healthy at the start of the season when they got crushed? And the season before? Geniune question as I can't remember.

I think they were.

I like how losing Samuel and apparently Gay (who was never really a contributor) make us the 4th best team in the nfl.

Asante Samuel is why we went 18-0.

our DB are weak, so are the LB to a certain extent. Until we fix that, we are not the team we were last year.

They should wait to do power rankings

Giants at 1 fair enough. Shove the Pats above you, and it's spot on IMO.

I remember when the Pats shoved the Broncos out of the way en route to defeat by thePackers. it think it was chris slade who thought the pats were the ones to beat in the afc and we all know how well that turned out.

Last edited:
Agreed. You're already set on offense - still the #1 ranked offense IMO. As for defense, you still have Bruschi, Vrabel, AD, Wilfork (key vets) as well as a few good FA pickups, and with your draft picks, will fill in any remaining needs. That's why I thought the Pats ranked #4 (per this Power Ranking) was a joke.

I think you're quickly becoming my favorite Charger fan ever. My order:

1. Pats
2. Bolts
3. Cowboys
4. Colts

I only rank the Colts at number 4 because of Manning's inexplicable ability to become a horrible quarterback in the playoffs. Colts fans can argue that he was the MVP of the Super Bowl until they are blue in the face but the fact of the matter is that the Colts defense clicked at the right time, not Manning. Even this year against the Chargers, Manning was still dancing in the backfield like a ballerina (not sure if that's how you spell it but whatever). Plus Harrison is old and while Reggie Wayne may be very good, he's no Marvin Harrison in his prime. The Cowboys, meanwhile, have another year of Romo progressing under their belts and they've pretty much kept the same team together from last year. IMO, they're a shoe-in for the NFC side of the Super Bowl (and I hope the Pats get there and pound them so I can see Jerry Jones and T.O. crying together).

Last edited:
Preseason power rankings are like mocks-idle speculation from uninformed outsiders.

Whatever turns you on...

Giants at 1 fair enough. Shove the Pats above you, and it's spot on IMO.
If it were simply that, then the Pats ought to be #2. But obviously, an attempt was made at analysis. And frankly, while kudos to the Giants for pulling off the SB win, I have to see a lot more than a hot championship run to declare them the best team.

Of course, if this was back in 2002 and someone rated the Pats #1 after their upset of the Rams, I would be saying "Spot on!" :cool3:

Preseason power rankings are like mocks-idle speculation from uninformed outsiders.

Whatever turns you on...

Thank you, Confucious. Your wisdom appreciated.

I'd rather be ranked at #4 honestly. The Patriots love the underdog image. Being favorites didn't seem to suit them too well.

Power rankings, especially in the pre-season, are about as useful as dialing Miss Cleo. I don't see why anybody puts stock into them or cares at all, they are possibly the least reliable means of measuring team quality around.

If it were simply that, then the Pats ought to be #2. But obviously, an attempt was made at analysis. And frankly, while kudos to the Giants for pulling off the SB win, I have to see a lot more than a hot championship run to declare them the best team.

Of course, if this was back in 2002 and someone rated the Pats #1 after their upset of the Rams, I would be saying "Spot on!" :cool3:
Yea, I don't know about that. I mean Eli throws 20 Interceptions to Tommy's 8, AND has a season passer rating of 74 and you somehow reason that the Giants are a better team???? :confused:

That's just wacky - I mean I can go into hundreds of more statistical beat downs that the pats put on the Giants and every other team, but this is clearly just a hater Ranking.

Everyone is clouded by the Super Bowl - And I understand that to a degree.

But there are so many dominate characteristics to last years team, that even with the departures we had this off season I have no idea how anyone could rank them below No. 1 - How about this one that you never here about - First Professional team to ever open a season with a 18 game winning streak. I'm a Homer, I know that - But this ranking is just crazy.

Even in 2002 we won 13 of 15 to end the season, so it would not have been such a stretch to place them no.1, at that time.

I disagree when people are telling me that Pats has been having an easy schedule. Pats only plays 6 games within its division and 10 games at elsewhere. Pats won all 16 games last season. How can you possibly tell me that it was easy.?

I don't really care about August games much because they are 'warm-up' games. Everything which happens between Sept and Feb counts.

Last edited:
Yeah, if. If Matt Light played better, we would have won the Superbowl. If Asante could catch, we would have won.

You know what else, San Diego would have lost if Tom Brady didn't have a bad game!

Oh wait, they lost anyway. End of story.

Hmm. So, if the Pats lost in the SB and Brady, Moss and Maroney had significant leg injuries that didn't allow them to play anywhere near to their potential (or not at all) that wouldn't have been a legitimate reason for losing?

I hate to break it to you, but injuries have a significant impact on the outcome of games, especially injuries to your three best offensive players. That "injuries are no excuse" stuff is just coachspeak.

Edit: I can't believe I'm sticking up for those clowns.

Hmm. So, if the Pats lost in the SB and Brady, Moss and Maroney had significant leg injuries that didn't allow them to play anywhere near to their potential (or not at all) that wouldn't have been a legitimate reason for losing?

I hate to break it to you, but injuries have a significant impact on the outcome of games, especially injuries to your three best offensive players. That "injuries are no excuse" stuff is just coachspeak.

Edit: I can't believe I'm sticking up for those clowns.

Better stop lest you be accused of being a Charger fan.

Ok, the superbowl is the most important game, I get that. but to say the giants are better than the patriots, thats just crazy. The patriots and giants were 1-1 against each other, so to me that would make them even....But wait, the patriots only had one loss, and the giants had what? Like 6? So that would make the patriots better. God I hope its giants patriots next superbowl. The patriots are a great team because they win, and they win alot, to say that a team can come in and have one fluke superbowl in and be the greaest team in the nfl is crazy, and if anyone agrees with that list they should be shot, on the spot.

These are my power rankings:

1.) Giants
2.) Pats
3.) Colts
4.) Chargers
5.) Cowboys
6.) Jaguars
7.) Browns
8.) Packers
9.) Steelers
10.) Vikings

Last edited: