PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How about these '08 Power Rankings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFWChargerFan

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Even as a Chargers fan, I find these rankings somewhat laughable. I'm not a fan of pre-season Power Ranking, especially given the fact that FA and Draft haven't been completed.

http://www.sportprojections.com/group/nfl_power_rankings

Anyway, here are the top 4 Rankings:

1) New York Giants
2) San Diego Chargers
3) Indianapolis Colts
4) New England Patriots

Thoughts? This should be fun.

Last edited:
Giants at 1 fair enough. Shove the Pats above you, and it's spot on IMO.

I like how losing Samuel and apparently Gay (who was never really a contributor) make us the 4th best team in the nfl.

Asante Samuel is why we went 18-0.

The Pats have an easier schedule than they did last year at least outside the division. They really didn't lose anyone other than Samuel. I think they still stay at #1 or 2. The Giants are I guess #1 by default, but I don't think they will be at #1 for long.

I can understand the Giants at #1, for the most part. Colts and Pats could go either way, but since the Pats won the last one, they should get the nod. Chargers, now that one I don't really understand. Who have they acquired in free agency that makes them that much better of a team? Have the Pats really lost that much in Samuel, Gay and possibly Seau? Especially pre-draft and with some fairly solid acquisitions?

Interesting rankings, though.

There is a reason why the team at the top of the pre-season power rankings never makes it to the Super Bowl.

There is a reason why the team at the top of the pre-season power rankings never makes it to the Super Bowl.

I'm pretty sure the Patriots were at the top of most Power Rankings before last year.

It's true that the Patriots have one of the easiest schedules in the history of the NFL next year, but I don't think that should be the basis for it either. That said, if the Giants are the best team in the NFL next year, I will eat my hat. The Patriots are the team to beat, IMO.

We didn't lose anyone except Samuel. And just who do you have replacing Colvin and Seau? I presume we're all OK with Bryant as a replacement for Gay

The Pats have an easier schedule than they did last year at least outside the division. They really didn't lose anyone other than Samuel. I think they still stay at #1 or 2. The Giants are I guess #1 by default, but I don't think they will be at #1 for long.

Losing to a Billy Volek led / LT-less Chargers team at home in the first round in the playoffs is more impressive than winning 18 straight games and losing in the Super Bowl by 3 I guess.

1) Giants
2) Patriots
3) Chargers
4) Colts

That would be pretty reasonable to me. Sounds like some writer that doesn't like the Pats is really getting his hopes up...

Am I the only crazy one who thinks the Giants won't even win their division next year?

I'm pretty sure the Patriots were at the top of most Power Rankings before last year.

It's true that the Patriots have one of the easiest schedules in the history of the NFL next year, but I don't think that should be the basis for it either. That said, if the Giants are the best team in the NFL next year, I will eat my hat. The Patriots are the team to beat, IMO.

Actually, the Colts were first on the power rankings last year. The year before that, it was either the Colts or the Steelers (can't remember which).

Am I the only crazy one who thinks the Giants won't even win their division next year?

I don't even know enough about their division to comment on that.

But I don't think they deserve to be at the top of this list. Putting aside the SB, I think most people would agree that the Giants weren't really the best team in the NFL.

The Giants didn't even win their division THIS year.

I can understand why NY are voted #1 by some. Yay they're the SB champs, even though they aren't the best team in this league and us, Indy and SD are still alot stronger and will be going into the season.

This team aint #4. Try #2 or #3 depending on how you see us against Indy. Just wishful thinking we're on the decline.

those power rankings on espn are from last year.

<edit>
ah, nevermind. i see that you were responding to someone else talking about previous years' power rankings.

Last edited:
"The Jets are having one of the best offseasons in the league. They might just close the gap on the Pats."

yup, and the world may end before the Pats win another SB, but i doubt it

Did anyone notice about the Eagles: A strong offseason has vaulted the Eagles back into the conversation in the NFC East. The addition of a true #1 receiver would make them an elite club.

Um, the Eagles signed Asante, cut Takeo, and were sort of trying to get Randy Moss...what did the Eagles do to get the designation of "a strong offseason"?

I like how losing Samuel and apparently Gay (who was never really a contributor) make us the 4th best team in the nfl.

Asante Samuel is why we went 18-0.

Didn't you also lose Stallworth, Wilson and Colvin (and possibley Jr.)? Plus some of the guys you still have (Harrison, Bruschi and Vrabel come to mind) ain't getting any younger.

All that said, I would still put you up there ahead of the Colts and Bolts most likely and probably the G-Men except for that little SB loss issue.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing