Welcome to PatsFans.com

Holding Calls?!!

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by abdul7, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abdul7

abdul7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Did anyone see that holding call against the Giants on the touchdown run that was called back against Dallas ? Now i am becoming more and more paranoid about these calls because one cannot challange these calls and i swear i see holding all the time in soo many games that dont get flagged. The holding call mentioned above was so min. that i just dont know when is holding really holding anymore . Your thoughts.
    ps. Buffalo game live here 4.15 am ! Another sleepless enoyable night i cant miss.
  2. Nordy

Nordy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: Holding Calls ? !!

If it's the play I think you're talking about, it was a hold.
  3. Ishdul

Ishdul Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I didn't see the game but eventually the NFL is going to have to let teams challenge penalties.
  4. letekro

letekro Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 2 / -3

Then you'd just be substituting one idiot's judgment for another's. Judgment calls will never be reviewable, becuase they are always "arguably" correct.
  5. Ishdul

Ishdul Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Penalties aren't all judgment calls, though, or at least aren't much different than the determination of whether someone had possession of the ball. I doubt you'd ever see anyone challenge an Unsportsmanlike or anything like that, I mean more challenging total phantom calls.
  6. Nordy

Nordy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Most penalties most definitely are judgment calls. Can you imagine if every penalty was reviewed? Do we really need the game slowed down that much?
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  7. Ishdul

Ishdul Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

By definition, things like False Start and Delay of Game aren't judgment calls. There's a certain amount of interpretation with stuff like PI and holding, but it's the same with every call that can be reviewed and if they go by the incontrovertible evidence rule than it would be very rare to see anyone challenge all but the surest of bad calls. Every penalty wouldn't be reviewed, just like how not every completion, fumble and spot of the ball is reviewed. They'd still go by the Challenge System.
  8. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,259 / 57 / -70

Disable Jersey

The challenge system already sucks. Let's not make it worse.
  9. hodgey

hodgey Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

IMHO you can call penalties on just about every play. Especially holding, pass interference and illegal contact. The problem lies in at least two areas, first being even handed toward both teams, and second being consistant when and how the calls are made. This is what makes the Colts such a phenomenom when it comes to penalties for and against. They actually have the gaul to complain when they are among the least penalized, and the beneficiaries of being among the top of penalties/yardage by their opponents. How hypocritical is it to get called for 4 penalties for 21 yard vs. 10 for 78 yards then cry baby about the officiating.
  10. Ethan 55

Ethan 55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I've always hated this argument. How would allowing for the challening of penalties lead to a huge increase in challenges? You still get the same number as before.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.